Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #17716
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've almost finished Mike Carey's The Devil You Know, the first book in the Felix Castor series. It's an urban fantasy series about a down on his luck London exorcist. It's very similar to the Dresden Files in tone, humour and type of characters. Not as good, though, but still worth reading whilst waiting for the next Dresden installment.

In this book Castor, who's taking a long sabatical from being an exorcist after failing to help a friend, is persuaded to take an exorcist job, helping an archive to get rid of a ghost that has become violent. Of course, things aren't as easy as they first appear. Entertaining and a quick read.
Hmmm...sounds interesting. Alex Verus turned out to be a so maybe this London-based character will also. Thanks Rumpelteazer!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #17717
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
A question for our English members: How is "ha'penny" pronounced?
Hayp-nee when I've heard it, usually.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #17718
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
That's correct
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #17719
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes, that seems right to me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #17720
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Test-read the first couple chapters of The Templar Legacy and couldn't put it down, so, the Cotton Malone series it is.
Finished this a few days back and enjoyed it!

Decided to take a break from thrillers for a couple book, so I'm currently reading When the Eagle Hunts, the third book in Simon Scarrow's Roman-themed historical adventure series. I liked the previous books, and this one continues the trend.

I also picked up a copy of Er ist wieder da, a German satirical "autobiography" of Hitler, who finds himself waking up in Berlin of 2011, and tries to win over the country a second time. So far it is a delicious novel. The author imitates Hitler's writing style (Mein Kampf) and way of talking superbly, and it's clever, comic, tongue-in-cheek and thought-provoking. Like political cabaret in book form.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #17721
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... I'm about a third of the way through, and I can't say I'm enjoying the experience. Does it get better, or is the rest of the book similar to the first third?...
It seems to me to have moments of sheer brilliance surrounded by lots of what seems like at times to be aimless rambling. That may be a matter of style and culture; for this Western reader it appears to be an acquired taste. Some of it is laugh out loud funny, some of it is thought-provoking, and some of it is very courageous in the way it openly asks questions that some people appear to feel are off-limits. It's certainly not the easiest book in the world to read.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2013 at 02:03 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #17722
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've just finished the second of two non-fiction books, Julian Symons' Bloody Murder - From the Detective Story to the Crime Novel: A History. Since this was the 1972 edition, it's more half a history, but I actually wanted to know more about the Golden Age, which is roughly the twenties and thirties, so I was happy enough with that. There was a second edition in the eighties, I believe, but since I was relying on second-hand book stores, I didn't get to choose.

I found it entertaining and informative, if opinionated, but I do seem to have made quite slow going of it. I also doubt it is going to be good for my TBR over all.

The other piece of non-fiction was It's Behind You: The Making of a Computer Game by Bob Pape, which is available free as a PDF from his website. It contains colour images and two-column text, so is probably more for tablets than ereaders.

Anyway, it's a shortish book about the making of the ZX Spectrum version of the arcade game R-Type, and I found it a fascinating insight into the industry culture of that period. I don't know what a disinterested layman would get out of it, but I enjoyed it.

Definitely time for some fiction now, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #17723
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Finished this a few days back and enjoyed it!

Decided to take a break from thrillers for a couple book, so I'm currently reading When the Eagle Hunts, the third book in Simon Scarrow's Roman-themed historical adventure series. I liked the previous books, and this one continues the trend.

I also picked up a copy of Er ist wieder da, a German satirical "autobiography" of Hitler, who finds himself waking up in Berlin of 2011, and tries to win over the country a second time. So far it is a delicious novel. The author imitates Hitler's writing style (Mein Kampf) and way of talking superbly, and it's clever, comic, tongue-in-cheek and thought-provoking. Like political cabaret in book form.
This book sounds very interesting and I will be getting it. Amazon UK is showing March 27, 2014 as the release date for the ebook translation. Amazon.com is showing the same date, but only for the Hard Cover.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #17724
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks, mentally I was pronouncing it like half penny with the 'lf' missing but that seemed awkward.

I haven't started the book yet, but as I said, I really enjoyed Farthing. Walton said it was inspired by Josehine Tey's Brat Farrar and certain discrepancies in the timeline like people mentioning vacationing on the Continent 5 years earlier when we were still fighting WWII. Walton decided that rather than being a mistake, it was an alternate history where the war ended early and set her book in that universe.

The book itself starts out with a typical English country house mystery at an estate called Farthing. The murder victim is the man who led the effort to oust Churchill and accept Rudolph Hess' offer of peace. At the beginning the mystery is at the forefront and the alternate history is mainly in the background but becomes more important as the plot develops.

It's part of a trilogy. The murder plot is wrapped up in the first book but larger issues remain unresolved.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #17725
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now I'm reading 1636: The Devil's Opera by Eric Flint and David Carrico. More of the main-stream 1632 storyline, with an emphasis on some musicians that we've met before in Grantville Gazette stories. Looking good so far.
And it was indeed a good read. And now I'm reading Redshirts by John Scalzi.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #17726
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started Distant Thunders by Taylor Anderson. It is the fourth book in the Destroyermen Series. I read number one a while back. I picked up number two last week and am now on four. I have enjoyed the series so far.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #17727
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
In the middle of reading Treecat Wars, but jumped out to read an Elizabeth Moon -- Limits of Power, the fourth in her Paladin story arc set in the world of Paksenarrion. I'll be back to Treecat Wars shortly, but wanted to take a break from it for a bit. I can tell already that it won't get more than about 3.5 out of 5 here.
Finished Limits of Power, and enjoyed it, though it clearly is a set-up for the rest of the series. The good news is that Paks is clearly about to play a more central role, though not yet in this book.

Now, back to Treecat Wars.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #17728
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And it was indeed a good read. And now I'm reading Redshirts by John Scalzi.
I just finished Redshirts... it didn't go where I expected it at all.. and started much better than it finished. I rated it 3.5 of 5 stars on Librarything.

Not sure what to read next.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #17729
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now, my next book needs a drum roll.................

For the first time this year I'm actually reading a non-fiction book! Yep, it happened. I've picked up Sybil Exposed by Debbie Nathan from my library. It's a book looking at the story behind the famous Multiple Personality case which became the book Sybil and later, a movie of the same name.
Phew! Finally finished that one.

This was an interesting book, especially as I didn't know much about the facts behind this case. My issue with it was that the author was so contemptuous of the perpetrators of this alleged hoax that her writing drips with her disapproval. I very rarely trust informative writing that exposes such a bias as I think analysis becomes clouded with the introduction of emotion. Having said that, the whole Sybil case seems to be a case of scientific theories masquerading as facts and capturing a public's imagination to serious detrimental effect; a pretty sobering lesson, which I don't think we ever learn.

I'm in the last stages of The Satanic Verses at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. I'll complete this novel before I continue on with anything else.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #17730
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'm reading Redshirts by John Scalzi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just finished Redshirts... it didn't go where I expected it at all.. and started much better than it finished. I rated it 3.5 of 5 stars on Librarything.
How interesting. It was almost exactly what I was expecting, but much better. I loved the ending, and the Coda afterwords. One of the best books I've read this year.

Next up: The Bull God by Roberta Gellis.

From a Baen bundle I bought back in November 2003. My oldest unread bought ebook.