Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Demi Recipe Reader = eBook Reader?

Today over on Engadget there is a blurb about the upcoming release on Amazon of the "Demi Digital Recipe Reader." Judging from the photos, the thing has a decent looking & sized color display as well as a nice form factor in general, and supposedly holds up to 2500 recipes. It has a USB connection, which I guess you use to manage your recipe database at www.keyindgredients.com.

http://www.mydemy.com/index.html

I was wondering...what are the chances that some clever soul (like an igorsk-type person ) could adapt this device to read books instead of recipes? How many books can you cook with 2500 recipes? I can imagine your quintessential housewife using this thing in the kitchen to brew together her latest dinner concoction for the family, and then sitting down at the table while it cooks and switching her Demi from "Chicken Con Carne Alfredo" to the latest Anne Rice vampire novel...

What do you think? Doable? Worth doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	demy.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	26746  
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Holy crap I love it. I wonder how much it will be.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I wonder if that humongous stand can be completely removed from the back? From the Engadget pictures, it looks like it can at least be rotated.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
From the pictures, I'd consider putting that screen in a new case altogether... it looks a bit thick. I'd guess that memory could be added, and should... 2500 recipes, only a page or two (or less) in length, isn't much of a memory-hog, and it will surely need lots more for a decent collection of e-books.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
switching her Demi from "Chicken Con Carne Alfredo" to the latest Anne Rice vampire novel...
From "Dark Chickens" to "Charles Dickens"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I remember reading about someone using one of those computer picture frames as a reader. Put your books or magazine on a flashcard and there you go, full color and portable.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Cost is $299 usd on Amazon.

Be careful what you wish for.

Unless you want to use only their recipies, you must send hard copies of recipies to a scanning service at $0.39 per copy or type it in yourself. It does not appear that you can transfer recipies from other websites to you device. If you have your own recepie programs and an extensive database you cannot upload those recepies.

All recepies are kept on their website, if they go under so do your recepies. I wonder if they charge a monthly fee for this service, or they give you a free period to get you hooked and then start charging.

If you have your own recepie programs and an extensive database you cannot upload those recepies.

Uncle Eric
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Not Much of a Screen

I'm having a hard time seeing this as any kind of book reader unless there is some major recoding involved.

The way the text is displayed on the device, I think you could only fit about a half a paragraph on it at a time. And I think that's how you have to measure it, rather than by memory. How painful would it be to actually read a book on it, if you wanted to?

Think of it this way: A lot of recipes only take up a 3X5 index card. Now think of your favorite book. How many 3X5 index cards would it take up?

And that's all assuming you could repurpose it from syncing to the recipe website for content to begin with.

I'd say not worth doing, even if it could be done.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Ugh. No thanks. I do wish the cooking world would settle on a standard XML format for recipes. I don't get nearly as much as I could out of my cookbooks because they're not, as a group, portable and easily searchable. The recipes that are on my Kindle get used way more.

As for that device, for the price I'd rather get a netbook or spend a little more and get the new Shuttle touch screen nettop for the kitchen and use all the recipes I already have on my computer and saved at various recipe sites. Plus I could use it for other things. The reason I tolerate the Kindle being basically single function is that the screen offers the advantage of superior readability. I see no particular advantage here.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing this as any kind of book reader unless there is some major recoding involved.

The way the text is displayed on the device, I think you could only fit about a half a paragraph on it at a time. And I think that's how you have to measure it, rather than by memory. How painful would it be to actually read a book on it, if you wanted to?

Think of it this way: A lot of recipes only take up a 3X5 index card. Now think of your favorite book. How many 3X5 index cards would it take up?

And that's all assuming you could repurpose it from syncing to the recipe website for content to begin with.

I'd say not worth doing, even if it could be done.
I don't know...
From the photos it looks like you would have a better reading experience than you would reading from, say, a Palm Tungsten E --- which is my backup reader after my Sony PRS-505. Maybe four paragraphs per page turn? Also, it appears that you can play with font size...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Personally this is one place a netbook fits well. Just add One Million recipes http://www.acrllc.com/onemillion.php, also available from Packard Technologies for PC's and PDA (mobi format). The PC version even includes calorie and nutrition data like the ones on the side of the box (formatted the same way). And you can enter you own recipes. My wife keeps her netbook in the kitchen and always handy for lots of tasks including eBooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Personally this is one place a netbook fits well. Just add One Million recipes http://www.acrllc.com/onemillion.php, also available from Packard Technologies for PC's and PDA (mobi format). ..

Dale
Hmm. Is that any good for a novice-level cook (like meself)?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Hmm. Is that any good for a novice-level cook (like meself)?
It is especially good for novice cooks. I grabbed the one from Packard Technologies but they are all the same software. you can also add your own notes, and highlight your favorites.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Cool beans! (Baked, too!) Thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks for the info! Can a new ebook reader be far behind? Now, if it just has folders (groan).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote