Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
BiloKranks
BiloKranks began at the beginning.

Device: none
made progress!

after sudo chmod -r a+rw "/Volumes/Location/Folder"

i got a password input, but after inputting my password, i got "no such file or directory"

i do have my hard drive plugged in during this.
BiloKranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That would suggest to me that your Calibre library is not actually where Calibre thinks that it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
BiloKranks

unfortunately, the problem is increasing. now i cannot: convert books, alter metadata, add books..

they are probably all linked issues, but i'm getting a bit discouraged.

i don't know why my calibre location would change, or why calibre would think it's in a different place? i can access the book paths i have in calibre but i can't do much else.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
BiloKranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloKranks View Post
unfortunately, the problem is increasing. now i cannot: convert books, alter metadata, add books..

they are probably all linked issues, but i'm getting a bit discouraged.

i don't know why my calibre location would change, or why calibre would think it's in a different place? i can access the book paths i have in calibre but i can't do much else.
when adding new book, error code:

calibre, version 3.15.0
ERROR: Errors while adding: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information

----------------------------------------------------------------------

With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 399, in add_book
File "site-packages/calibre/db/legacy.py", line 224, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1556, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 844, in execute
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
Old 01-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What do you mean by "access the book paths i have in calibre"

Does calibre open and display the list of books you should have in your library?

Perhaps some screen shots attached to your posts might help us help you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #21
BiloKranks

Sorry, here's a screengrab. So I can access the books through calibre, but I can't convert, alter metadata, and add new books.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #22
BiloKranks

Sorry, the attachment didn't load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.57.14 PM.png
Views:	154
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	161839  
Old 01-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The database file mentioned should be in the library folder (at the same level as all the author folders), and called metadata.db. Check it's there, and check its permissions. (Command - I and it's the "Sharing and Permissions" at the bottom of the Info window.) You should have read and write access.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #24
BiloKranks

Here is the info you offered
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 2.28.34 PM.png
Views:	134
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	161858  
Old 01-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm very puzzled. As an experiment, what happens if you create a new library on your Desktop. Are you able to import/edit/convert in that? What then happens when you switch back to the old library?

(The create/switch library command is on the menu after Convert books.)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:26 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The permissions also need to be correct on the parent folder of metadata.db, post a screen shot of those.

And if the problem is not permissions, then the remaining possibilities are disk failure and filesystem errors. Which you can test by moving the library to another disk.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #27
BiloKranks

parent folder "calibre library"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 8.27.37 PM.png
Views:	140
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	161863