Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
techie6
techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Error: Error communicating with device message

I have a 2nd generation Kindle HD 8 and when connecting to Calibre (the latest version), I've been getting a connection error message. However, I can still send books to the device. The software is unable to obtain a list of books on the device. Details of the message:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

calibre, version 3.12.0

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Last edited by techie6; 11-10-2017 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Include more info
techie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
kammerka
kammerka began at the beginning.

I successfully overcame this problem when I deleted the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre from both the Internal and External Storage folders on my Kindle.
kammerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
techie6
techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techie6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Error Communicating With Device - Calibre

I can't remember if I tried this suggestion. I will and get back with you on whether it worked or not. Even now, it doesn't show the books on the device, but will load new books after I receive the communication error.

Update: I did try your method and it worked! No communication error this time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammerka View Post
I successfully overcame this problem when I deleted the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre from both the Internal and External Storage folders on my Kindle.

Last edited by techie6; 02-25-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Update
techie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
buffy29
buffy29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm not sure what you mean by external storage on my kindle. I only find internal storage. Is the external storage on my pc?
buffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy29 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by external storage on my kindle. I only find internal storage. Is the external storage on my pc?
Tablet based Kindles may have SD card (AKA External) Storage. Regular Kindles may not have a card slot.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre error message