Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #46
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
Can the fmon "daemon" be triggered if the png file is accessed indirectly?

For example, an HTML page containing hyperlinks to various png's (or even inline png's in an HTML page that the browser needs to fetch and render)...?

This could be an easy way to build menus for different fmon-based actions.
yes. any attepmt to open png file...
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #47
Skinkie
Skinkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Not sure what you mean by " Syncing to the latest Aura HD software version. 2.10" The latest official current firmware for the AuraHD is, at least 3.0.0., are they still pushing 2.10 when you sync?
When I was on vacation last week in Spain, I updated to 2.10. After your message I have synced my reader, and it updated to 3.10. Already have found a bug to crash the reader.

Press X when it is automatically trying to connect to the WiFi networks. X remains black, and the thing hangs.

Quote:
I am using 3.0.0, downloaded from the firmware sticky.

I would update your firmware first as long as you are starting over anyway.
After updating to 3.10, updating fmon and koreader, everything worked as expected.
Skinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #48
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
When I was on vacation last week in Spain, I updated to 2.10. After your message I have synced my reader, and it updated to 3.10. Already have found a bug to crash the reader.

Press X when it is automatically trying to connect to the WiFi networks. X remains black, and the thing hangs.

After updating to 3.10, updating fmon and koreader, everything worked as expected.
If you add "killall -STOP nickel" to your koreader_kobo.sh file before the reader.lua is called and "killall -CONT nickel" after, you can return to the Kobo software without rebooting. The changes were made, in the recent Koreader builds that allow this to work, but the koreader_kobo.sh script wasn't updated, to have it work this way.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #49
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Dear sergeyvl12,

many thanks for the tool!

Maybe, it should also be noted how to uninstall fmon... It took me some time to discover that this can be safely achieved by just deleting .kobo/on_start.sh and .kobo/fmon
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #50
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
If someone is interested I created an usbnet installer for Kobo Files Monitor. You have to:
  1. Install Kobo Files Monitor
  2. put the KoboRoot.tgz of this package in the .kobo folder on Kobo
  3. disconnect Kobo from your PC, wait the restart and reconnect
  4. copy the png image to the root folder of your Kobo
Attached Files
File Type: zip usbnet for Kobo Files Monitor.zip (240.7 KB, 321 views)
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #51
realbezo
realbezo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
hi, i cannot clearly understand your post.
What do you mean with
"Just install KoboRoot.tgz"
To where should i install it, to my pc or to my e-reader.
If i should install it on my kobo, what does it mean again "just install it", because i cannot find any terminal on my kobo.
Do i need root it, if it is necessary to be rooted, why did people not mention it?
realbezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by realbezo View Post
What do you mean with
If i should install it on my kobo, what does it mean again "just install it", because i cannot find any terminal on my kobo.
Do i need root it, if it is necessary to be rooted, why did people not mention it?
A Kobo ereader is Linux based and the default user is root.

To install KoboRoot.tgz, connect to your computer, copy the .tgz file into the .kobo directory on the internal storage and safely disconnect the ereader from the computer. After the disconnect, the ereader will automatically install the contents of the KoboRoot.tgz file. Note that if you connect to a Mac or Linux computer, using . as the first character of a directory name makes the directory hidden so it will take a bit more effort to copy the .tgz file to the directory.

To be a bit nasty, a quick search using Google came up with several items in the first page with this information. Given the number of people who have asked for an image of the internal uSD card after bricking their ereader, I would suggest a bit more reading in this forum and elsewhere before attempting to modify the software on your Kobo.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #53
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given the number of people who have asked for an image of the internal uSD card after bricking their ereader, I would suggest a bit more reading in this forum and elsewhere before attempting to modify the software on your Kobo.

Regards,
David
I think you will find that the majority of those who "Bricked" their ereader did so from a failed firmware update, or while attempting to install an Android OS. The software is eminently modifiable due to the wide use of scripting in its construction. This is indeed the forum to find some very well thought out modifications, that most who can follow the discussions well be able to implement. Even those who might feel the need for more detailed help can usually find it available here.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you will find that the majority of those who "Bricked" their ereader did so from a failed firmware update, or while attempting to install an Android OS. The software is eminently modifiable due to the wide use of scripting in its construction. This is indeed the forum to find some very well thought out modifications, that most who can follow the discussions well be able to implement. Even those who might feel the need for more detailed help can usually find it available here.
Sorry, Ken but that is not what I have seen. Some have used the wrong firmware update for their hardware, some (a very few) attempted Android installs, some mucked with the uSD card outside the reader but there have been a fair number who have bricked their ereader while attempting firmware modifications and installing non-Kobo software.

Do you feel that someone who has not read enough in these forums to realize that a Kobo does not run Android is at the point in their quest for knowledge where they are going to be able to evaluate the potential risks in modifying their ereader's software?

Before I wrote my response, I did a quick Google search on "install" and "KoboRoot.tgz". The first search result was "To install, copy KoboRoot.tgz to the data partition to a directory called “.kobo” (note the leading dot; the directory already exists, but is hidden). Reboot the Kobo." Brought to you courtesy of XCSoar.org and Google.ca. Please note that this was the first search result displayed by Google.

I did notice that you removed the first sentence of the paragraph I wrote and you partially quoted which referred to Google -- my exact words were, I believe, "To be a bit nasty, a quick search using Google came up with several items in the first page with this information."

Just for chuckles, take a quick look how many times the words copy, KoboRoot.tgz and .kobo occur together on Mobileread. Feel free to use the search engine of your choice.

Perhaps I am expecting more that I should. Perhaps a belief that spending some time to learn about your ereader before jumping in to perform the equivalent of neurosurgery on it is a "Good Idea" is a trifle naïve. That a belief that at this point in time, knowing how to use internet search engines is no longer an esoteric skill but a necessity is revealing my own ignorance.

Your expectations are, rather obviously, different from mine.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #55
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Not sure what you are getting at with your searches? Most installations would use that process to do the installation. Don't tell me you think there is something wrong with using the same builtin functions that Kobo uses, for this purpose?

Since the KoboRoot.tgz approach does all the work, for the user, if it is working fine for other posters who are applying it to the same model device, it should do the same for anyone applying it to same model device. No matter their experience level. Your disdain for "Non-Kobo" software, aside the only part of the process that can "brick" a device, is the same code that Kobo uses for its FW changes.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-05-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Not sure what you are getting at with your searches? Most installations would use that process to do the installation. Don't tell me you think there is something wrong with using the same builtin functions that Kobo uses, for this purpose?

Since the KoboRoot.tgz approach does all the work, for the user, if it is working fine for other posters who are applying it to the same model device, it should do the same for anyone applying it to same model device. No matter their experience level. Your disdain for "Non-Kobo" software, aside the only part of the process that can "brick" a device, is the same code that Kobo uses for its FW changes.
Ken, at this point, I have to ask one question -- did you bother to read the message I was responding to? Or even the quoted version of it in my original response to realbezo? If you did read it, your responses make very little sense. If you didn't read the message, I've quoted it below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbezo View Post
What do you mean with
You may notice that the poster did not know how to install KoboRoot.tgz and also asked if s/he needed to root their Kobo and if so, why was it not mentioned.

As for my disdain for non-Kobo software? I've run several bits of non-Kobo software on my various Kobos. The main conclusion I've reached is that they offer me little functionality that I find useful. File browser? As in a previous discussion, I find the Kobo search function lets me find a book with fewer keystrokes. PDFs? That's what my iPad is for.

I do find some humour in your complaints about my post. Looking at your calm, reasoned and informative response to realbezo's post... hmmm.... just where is that response?

Regards,
David
Old 05-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #57
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I think you will find that the majority of those who "Bricked" their ereader did so from a failed firmware update, or while attempting to install an Android OS.
I think the majority of the failed firmware updates are from people who install the INCORRECT firmware on their device.

Remember, that while Kobo do provide an easy means to get code ONTO the box, the ONLY supported means of getting updated f/w is either via WiFi sync OR Kobo Desktop; any other source of updates is done at the users own risk.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #58
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Well, it is so nice to have the official company position expressed. I have found the use of "non-Kobo software" not only safe but that it is one of the factors that make this great device function in a much more practical and enjoyable manner. As you can tell exactly what I was responding to by the Quotes in my posts, there is the rest of your post that I did not address, some of which I might even agree with. Your statements that I quoted are what my reply was addressing.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #59
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
don't laugh everybody, but I got the reboot.sh in its folder on my device, and I just added the reboot.png to the root dicrectory, but cannot see the icon on nickel homepage!

Last edited by ebrahimpak; 07-28-2014 at 12:31 PM.
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #60
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
Now that I changed the reboot.png icon It is on the homepage, but it cannot trigger the reboot action...
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote