Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
@Ken

I am not quite there yet. I just got up and I am still enjoying my working Aura.
I am a bit miffed that I can't use my step approach myself, since the KoboLaucher changed into fmon and cgm999 put in a new koreader version.

I don't think you have to resize pictures. I don't even know if it should be png-files. I'll try and see.

Anyway I'll document the steps taken and the files copied and drop it in a box.
I just kept to the dimensions and file type that Sergey used. I did change the color mode to grayscale as it is used in black&white devices. I am using the image and it is all working fine now. The changes, that I can see, with "fmon" added, are mostly to restore the original Launcher script.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Eddie_Brock
Eddie_Brock began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
So I'm a newbie to this whole "modified kobo" thing, but I am curious to give it a try and get some cool tweaks going.

I followed the steps to the letter in your OP, on firmware 2.8.1, however I am not sure where I am supposed to find Launcher.
Is it my fault or shall we blame the new fw?
Eddie_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_Brock View Post
I followed the steps to the letter in your OP, on firmware 2.8.1, however I am not sure where I am supposed to find Launcher.
Is it my fault or shall we blame the new fw?
The OP describes only the installation of the file monitor. I think you have to install the Kobo launcher first, and then the file monitor.

Edit: I just read your other post in the night mode thread. If it is only about triggering the night mode, you don't need the launcher. Look at the "on_start.sh example" of the OP and apply it to the night mode.

Last edited by tshering; 07-22-2013 at 03:38 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Eddie_Brock
Eddie_Brock began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The OP describes only the installation of the file monitor. I think you have to install the Kobo launcher first, and then the file monitor.

Edit: I just read your other post in the night mode thread. If it is only about triggering the night mode, you don't need the launcher. Look at the "on_start.sh example" of the OP and apply it to the night mode.
Thanks. I noticed in the OP that it referenced KoboLauncher, so I did try to install that as well. I followed the instructions for both posts but nothing showed up on my Kobo at all.

I will try to modify the on_start.sh to add the Night Mode, however its just the first of a few mods I would like to add.

It would be nice if there was a central location for procedures, directions and apps needed to add tweaks to the Kobos (besides the Sticky) for a new modder.
Eddie_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
new version of fmon

Hi!

The new version of kobo file monitor is available.

The main improvement is that on_start.sh script now scans and executes all the *.sh files in the .kobo/fmon directory. It helps to avoid conflicts in on_start.sh script (some people will make their's own launchers and publish them). And there is no need to edit on_start.sh each time.

2 The second main improvement - now we have "all in one" KoboRoot.tgz.

Manual and download link are updated (see the first post).

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 07-26-2013 at 08:14 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great work.

Step 6 & 7 of the instructions have us plugging the USB back in, is that still necessary?

Also, any recommendations on updating an existing fmon installation?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-26-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Great work.

Step 6 & 7 of the instructions have us plugging the USB back in, is that still necessary?

Also, any recommendations on updating an existing fmon installation?

Luck;
Ken
Ken, I don't see the launcher icon on the bookshelf without steps 6 and 7. These steps update kobo library index.

I want to find out another way of library index update. Probably some script...

2. No special recomendations. Just install fmon (or new version of kobo launcher that also includes fmon). You also need to move your commands from on_start.sh into the separate sh-files in the fmon directory.

You don't need to uninstall anything before installation. The new installation overwrites old files.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Ken, I don't see the launcher icon on the bookshelf without steps 6 and 7. These steps update kobo library index.

I want to find out another way of library index update. Probably some script...

2. No special recomendations. Just install fmon (or new version of kobo launcher that also includes fmon). You also need to move your commands from on_start.sh into the separate sh-files in the fmon directory.

You don't need to uninstall anything before installation. The new installation overwrites old files.
Not sure if this will be any help or if it even works anymore, but there was an article a while back about triggering the usb connect/disconnect when copying files using ftp. See
http://a3nm.net/blog/fnacbook_kobo_more_hacking.html for how the re-index eas triggered. When I played with this, I got the Connect/Cancel dialogue, hit Connect and then it disconnected and went into the processing screen a few seconds later.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2013 at 04:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if this will be any help or if it even works anymore, but there was an article a while back about triggering the usb connect/disconnect when copying files using ftp. See
http://a3nm.net/blog/fnacbook_kobo_more_hacking.html for how the re-index eas triggered. When I played with this, I got the Connect/Cancel dialogue, hit Connect and then it disconnected and went into the processing screen a few seconds later.

Regards,
David
David, thanks a lot!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Hi

first of all Thank you for your work, I tried Kobo files monitor to launch night mode.
I simply installed KoboRoot.tgz then copied a nightmode.png and created in the fmon folder a nightmode.sh file:

Quote:
$root/.kobo/fmon/fmon $root/nighmode.png $root/.kobo/nightmode.sh >> $root/.kobo/fmon/fmon.log.txt 2>&1 &
after a reboot tapping the icon in home toggles nightmode as expected, my question is:
It is normal that a few seconds after the tap kobo also opens the png?

I attach the nightmode.png to the message if someone likes it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightmode.png
Views:	481
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	108800  
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
my question is:
It is normal that a few seconds after the tap kobo also opens the png?
I attach the nightmode.png to the message if someone likes it.
eXistenZ,

1. Thanks for png
2. It is absolutely normal. I can't make nickel to not open png. I can just monitor that png was opened.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Actually, I think it gives the process a little extra visual effect. The image is not there for very long.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Example

reboot.sh: (script for reboot.png):

Code:
$root/.kobo/fmon/fmon $root/reboot.png $root/.kobo/KoboLauncher/utils/reboot.sh >> $root/.kobo/fmon/fmon.log.txt 2>&1 &
I tried this one, but as it did not work, I looked at the KoboLauncher directory and I don't have utils/reboot.sh: I can obviously create a "utils" subdirectory (or remove it from the command line), but could you please tell me what the "reboot.sh" file that is in the KoboLauncher folder should have in it?
Many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #29
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I tried this one, but as it did not work, I looked at the KoboLauncher directory and I don't have utils/reboot.sh: I can obviously create a "utils" subdirectory (or remove it from the command line), but could you please tell me what the "reboot.sh" file that is in the KoboLauncher folder should have in it?
Many thanks!
Don't make the file in windows! You would get the wrong end-of-line codes.

Content reboot.sh:
#!/bin/sh
reboot

I've attached the file.
Attached Files
File Type: rar reboot.rar (90 Bytes, 397 views)
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #30
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Don't make the file in windows! You would get the wrong end-of-line codes.

Content reboot.sh:
#!/bin/sh
reboot

I've attached the file.
thanks a million!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote