Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Best way to sync my Calibre books with Android/iPhone/Windows Phone?

I love the Calibre desktop app, and I've been using it a lot to sync books onto my Kindle. I'm considering getting a smartphone and I'm curious what I need to do to get my Calibre PC books synced with my smartphone and read them with some sort of mobile app. What's the easiest way to do this?

For example, is there a way to sync my Calibre PC books with mobile apps like Kindle or nook?

I'd prefer free apps that work on all of Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone if possible. Finally, I'd like to actually get the ebooks physically onto my smartphone rather than maintaining a continuous server that requires my PC to always be online.

Last edited by mcandre; 10-30-2012 at 09:13 AM.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I don't know much about Windows Phone or Android sideloading, but you can sideload all your books onto iOS devices using iTunes.

Just drag .epub files into the 'books' section of iTunes to get them into iBooks.

If you prefer to use another reader, you can sideload via the 'Device > Apps' window when your device is connected to the computer, likewise by clicking and dragging. The Kindle app requires that you convert your .epub files to .mobi, which can be easily done with Calibre.

Calibre also has a feature that automatically syncs its entire library with iBooks.

Good luck.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the tip. If I have hundreds of ebooks in Calibre, how do I keep them continuously in sync with iPad? I'd rather not try to drag & drop hundreds of files onto iTunes every time I make a change.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
With the iOS devices then the best Calibre integration is with iBooks. This avoids the need for any drag-and-drop steps. You can also use this in conjunction with the Reading List plugin to mark books for later syncing to the iOS device via iTunes.

If you want to use a different app then you do not have anyway near the same level of integration. If you use the Kindle app then you have the capability to transfer it from Calibre via Amazon (just like real Kindle devices) or the drag-and-drop method mentioned previously.

Another possibility on iOS devices is to work in 'Pull' mode. This is using the Calibre (or an equivalent) Content server and browse it via Safari or an app such as the free eBook Search until you see a book you want. At that point you can download the book and transfer it into your reading app of choice. This method of working is not limited to iBooks - it works with most iOS reader apps I have come across.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
mcandre
Connoisseur

With regard to iOS, how do you sync Calibre books with iBooks?

With regard to Android and Windows Phone, which ereader apps sync well with Calibre?
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
With Android, at least Moon+ Reader (which is my personal choice) and FBReader can connect to an OPDS feed from Calibre. However you probably want to read this sticky for a list of lots of options.

Alternatively, using the Calibre Companion allows you to connect to your Calibre library and transfer books. As long as your reading app allows you to scan a local folder you'll be all sorted.

Finally, for iOS see this sticky.
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
mcandre
Connoisseur

Fixed the links:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapeum View Post
With Android, at least Moon+ Reader (which is my personal choice) and FBReader can connect to an OPDS feed from Calibre. However you probably want to read this sticky for a list of lots of options.

Alternatively, using the Calibre Companion allows you to connect to your Calibre library and transfer books. As long as your reading app allows you to scan a local folder you'll be all sorted.

Finally, for iOS see this sticky.
Please double-check that you include the protocol (http://) and domain name (www.mobileread.com) next time.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I'm used to smarter forum software that handles relative links correctly
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
mcandre
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapeum View Post
Sorry, I'm used to smarter forum software that handles relative links correctly
Ah, ok. Redditor maybe?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Serapeum

Nah, never touched Reddit
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I keep my Calibre library on SkyDrive. It's easy to pull down books to read on Windows Phone. Probably can be done easily on iOS and Android as well. I get the choice of opening it in the cloud or downloading it to my device and then opening it from there.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Amogh Harish
Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: MacBook Air, iPad Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Moto G
You can just connect your Android device to your computer, launch Calibre, and BAM! It gets detected. Then, you can just use the send to device option available in the main toolbar that pops up whenever you connect a compatible device. You can also connect other devices that aren't recognized in calibre by setting up your own device properties in Preferences>Plugins. Enjoy!
Amogh Harish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, iphone, smartphone, sync, windows