Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
drose25
drose25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Calibre excruciatingly slow at adding new books or editing metadata

I used Calibre a few years ago and it was fairly responsive. Installed the 64-bit version tonight on my new PC and it's moving really slowly for some reason. Adding books is taking forever and even editing metadata takes awhile to save changes. Is there a setting I could be overlooking? The program is using virtually no CPU or memory resources, so I don't think the PC is bottlenecking it.
drose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Either you have your calibre library on a very slow drive, or your antivirus is interfering with filesystem operations.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
drose25
drose25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks. I moved my Calibre library to an SSD and it's loads faster, even though the books I'm importing remain on the same standard drive I had the library on earlier. I guess it just wasn't handling importing and storing on the same drive well.

Thanks for the tip! This is much more usable now.
drose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For some reason, Calibre expands every file you add in your temporary folder. It is a very excessive operation.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I assume that calibre is reading metadata and checking that the file is a valid book. Hard to do without unpacking. Calibre also may unzip, modify and zip again when you save or convert books. Hard to avoid if the book is to be updated...

The easiest way to speed up the unzip/zip is to make sure that the tmp folder is on the fastest HDD you have. Even faster is to use a RAM disk for tmp. In Windows you have to install some 3rd party software. In Linux it is built in (tmpfs) and you just add a line to fstab.

Only install a RAM disk if you have plenty of RAM in your computer.

You can specify the tmp directory used by Calibre using an environment variable, if you don't want to use the default.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
vonronge
vonronge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD/Kindle
Smile

[[I had to re-register to post since my account seems to be gone. Serves me right, I haven't logged in for six or seven years.]]

I created an environment variable pointing to a RAM disk.

This has increased the speed of adding books to the library a great deal.

To add 10,000 books to a library with over 300,000 books was taking a whole day.

Closing the tag browser, setting the processes # to 14 (Ryzen 7) and setting the temp directory as a ram disk has reduced this to about 5 hours.

Unfortunately the books and the library are on the same directory, might change this in future to speed this up.

I should probably figure out how to move the "metadata.db" and "metadata.db-journal" files to a faster directory, but it seems to require a batch script?

When adding 10,000 books, the size of the \calibre_ft_w80\0gszgc_add_books directory grows to about 2.5 gb

Keeping track of the number of files in this directory is (for me) a much more satisfying way to keep track of the task than the % completion bar, since I know how many are left to do. Purely psychological.
vonronge is offline   Reply With Quote