Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #991
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
There's a special thread for this kind of question, btw.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34005
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #992
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Richard Kadrey’s Another Coop Heist series?
YES! This is it! Thank you so much! I have tried every combination of keywords and Google searches to try to find this out.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #993
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
There's a special thread for this kind of question, btw.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34005
I did not know that. I'm kind of glad to see that there is an entire thread dedicated to helping folks figure this sort of thing out, and kind of sad that in the age of super search engines there is still a need for this sort of help. Get it together Google! How can you not know what I mean when I ask about that book about that guy who did that thing?
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #994
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Thread merged with the correct thread.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #995
Blahbarian
Blahbarian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sci Fi generation ship

In high school I read a novel about a generation ship, sometime around 1980-82. It was laid out in three time frames, one as the new ship gets under way. The second part is midway to destination as a conflict occurs on board. The third and final part is just before the ship arrives at the new planet, it has fallen into chaos and no one even knows that they are on a ship and a boy learns the truth and then lands the ship.

It is not Heinlein's Orphans of the Galaxy even though there are similar plot elements. The only other detail I remember (I am 52 now so, yeah), is in either part one or part two there was a female heroine.
Blahbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #996
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
My memory of it is vague but could it have been The Star Seekers by Milton Lesser ?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-star-seekers
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #997
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And Ben Bova wrote one called The Exiles Trilogy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...Exiles_Trilogy
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #998
Blahbarian

Sci Fi generation ship

Neither of those could be the one. They are both fairly recent works. The one I recall had to have be published pre-1984.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #999
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahbarian View Post
Neither of those could be the one. They are both fairly recent works. The one I recall had to have be published pre-1984.
Both were published before 1984

The Exiles Trilogy: Published October 15th 1983 by Berkley
The Star Seekers: Published 1953 by John C. Winston Co.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #1000
Blahbarian

Should have checked a bit closer. I simply looked at the amazon publish date. I did read the first chapter of each though and neither is the one I have in mind
Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #1001
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I remember reading it, unfortunately I do not remember the Author's name or the book title.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:32 AM   #1002
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Both were published before 1984

The Exiles Trilogy: Published October 15th 1983 by Berkley
The Star Seekers: Published 1953 by John C. Winston Co.
Actually the individual books of the Exiles Trilogy were published as follows:
Exiled from Earth 1971
Flight of Exiles 1972
End of Exile 1975

However are there any other things you remember about the book?
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:45 AM   #1003
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Did you check out
Captive Universe by Harry Harrison original publish date 1969
Non-Stop Brian W Aldiss 1958
The Space-Born E C Tubb 1956
Rite of Passage Alexei Panshin 1968
200 Years to Christmas J.T. McIntosh (pseud.), James Murdoch MacGregor 1961
The Watch Below James White 1966
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:23 AM   #1004
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Did you check out
Captive Universe by Harry Harrison original publish date 1969
Non-Stop Brian W Aldiss 1958
The Space-Born E C Tubb 1956
Rite of Passage Alexei Panshin 1968
200 Years to Christmas J.T. McIntosh (pseud.), James Murdoch MacGregor 1961
The Watch Below James White 1966
The Watch Below though I enjoyed that book doesn't match the OPs description. The mix of the humans trapped under the ocean and the aliens in their generation ship was an interesting concept.

200 Years to Christmas is set in the middle of a 400 year flight so doesn't have the last part covered.

Captive Universe is a possible though my memory of it does not closely match the OPs description.

Rite of Passage has a mix of starship dwellers and planetary colonist so again misses the OPs description.

Non-Stop again misses the OPs description since the starship turns out be in Earth orbit.

The Space-born I have no memory of though I have vague memories of reading the first few of his Dumarest of Terra series.

Hmmm... you missed the Ballad of Beta-2 though I only read that in the Ace double and again it doesn't meet the OPs description.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #1005
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I think it was Starship by Brian Aldiss.
Quote:
n the savage world of the Greene tribe, losing a woman was unforgivable, and Roy had lost his while hunting in the jungle called "the ponics". Disgraced, isolated, he joined the disreputable priest Marapper on a forbidden expedition through Deadways to find the legendary land of Forwards. They were to meet mutants, giants, regimented rats and telepathic rabbits, and the fabled Outsiders. Finally they would confront a secret kept hidden for 23 generations - a secret whose discovery would reveal their origins and destiny even as it destroyed their world!
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths