Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Should I own two Kindles?

Hi there, I'm going to get my Kindle PaperWhite next Tuesday. This will be the very first time I've ever owned a Kindle with a touch screen. I used to have a KK.

The thing is that my OCD will kill me if 'her' screen gets dirty because of being...you know... touched too much, especially when my hands are a bit unclean or sweaty.

So I'm thinking about buying a Kindle Basic to read during the daytime (on the move, etc.), and I'll just read books using the PaperWhite at nights (or under low light conditions) when my hands are perfectly clean.

What do you think? Does anybody here own two Kindles? Can you tell me the benefits?

Thank you so much!!!
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW's screen doesn't show fingerprints at all. It's a slightly rough matte surface; nothing like the shiny "fingerprint magnet" LCD screens of smartphones and tablets. Try it and see what you think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, actually I've never seen a PaperWhite before. So it does not show our fingerprints like those on the iPad when someone plays Candy Crush too often?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Harry's right. The PW does not show fingerprints on the screen. What bugs me are the finger prints on the black bezel.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Harry's right. The PW does not show fingerprints on the screen. What bugs me are the finger prints on the black bezel.
Yep, I did see them in some photos posted around here. Really annoying!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
FOUR for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Q View Post
Hi there, I'm going to get my Kindle PaperWhite next Tuesday. This will be the very first time I've ever owned a Kindle with a touch screen. I used to have a KK.

The thing is that my OCD will kill me if 'her' screen gets dirty because of being...you know... touched too much, especially when my hands are a bit unclean or sweaty.

So I'm thinking about buying a Kindle Basic to read during the daytime (on the move, etc.), and I'll just read books using the PaperWhite at nights (or under low light conditions) when my hands are perfectly clean.

What do you think? Does anybody here own two Kindles? Can you tell me the benefits?

Thank you so much!!!
I own a Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and 2012. I also own a Kindle Fire HD 2012 and am expecting my HDX 2013 model in one week. I use one KPW and one Fire for myself and my wife uses the other two for herself.

KPW's are great for reading in good lighting and Fires for poor lighting and using all kinds of great apps.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I own two kindles (PW1, PW2)...also 2 kobos (glo, mini) and 1 sony (T1).

So 2 Kindles is kind of tame to some of us =P.

Anyway, PW2 is by far my favorite, although I had to go through 3 to get a good screen. I'll probably keep the 2 PW's, and use PW1 as my take to work ereader (replacing the mini).
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the "finger prints on the bezel" situation is greatly improved with the PW2?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Thanks sirmaru! However, Kindle Fire to me is a tablet after all and I've never considered a tablet to be an e-reader. :-) Or maybe I'm just wrong. Never owned a tablet before. :P
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the "finger prints on the bezel" situation is greatly improved with the PW2?
It does seem to be improved, although I can't say I ever lay awake at night worrying about it on the PW1 .
Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post

Anyway, PW2 is by far my favorite, although I had to go through 3 to get a good screen. I'll probably keep the 2 PW's, and use PW1 as my take to work ereader (replacing the mini).
Good to know!

Quote:
Hey hey, you really make me too eager to have my fingers on her!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post

Oh, no, your PW can't replace your Mini! That is the best one for taking places (as long as you don't need a light). Don't get rid of it until you haven't used it for 6 months and don't miss it....trust me on that!

If only Amazon would make a mini paperwhite...it's my dream.

I am down to one Kindle e-ink reader....and 2 Kobo's. Plus we have 5 tablets, but only 2 are mine. They are fine for reading on, but I prefer the size and weight of the e-ink readers.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-10-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If only Amazon would make a mini paperwhite...it's my dream.
Amazon can only use the screens that exist. There is no 5" frontlit screen.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

So, guys, it's not that necessary to have both Basic and PaperWhite, right?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon can only use the screens that exist. There is no 5" frontlit screen.
Oh that's right....they are essentially using the same screen on the Kobo Mini that was on the Sony 350.

I'll just hang on to my Mini forever! It's my only unlighted reader. I far prefer to have lighted readers, they are so good. But the small size and weight of the Mini is just so ideal.