Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you read Dutch? Remember that, even if the Dutch original were to be in the public domain (which it isn't), the English translation will be under copyright protection until 50 or 70 years after the death of the translator. I don't believe it was translated into English until the 1960s, so the English translation will most definitely NOT be in the public domain anywhere.
No, I do not read Dutch. Now, let me ask you a question.

Does the Anne Frank institute linked to at the beginning of this thread, have the ability/right to authorize, the book be digitalized?

I'm not saying this right. In other words, could they give permission for one of you to upload the book legally?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Desertgrandma, I totally agree with you; it's like allowing Adolf to have a voice when Anne is silenced by copyright. ...
Yes, I agree too. Until Harry proved me wrong in the "Mein Kampf" upload thread yesterday I thought the Free State of Bavaria holds the copyrights of Hitlers "book" and that there was some sort of "across boarders agreement" NOT to reprint it. For me, it was quite a shock to see it uploaded.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
Looking at it another way, the law protects the intellectual property rights of Anne Frank and her heirs, but offers no protection whatsoever to Hitler and his heirs. I kind of like that idea.
I totally understand what you are trying to say, however, in this case, that isn't a good thing. For him to be uploaded, and not her is just......wrong. Like the feeling you get right before a plane crashes into your house.

I remember reading this book in grade school, as part of a class project. Its a powerful narrative, more so because a real person wrote it, and a real person died.

I"m sorry, I really don't mean to get all political and crabby. For some reason, it just really bothers me.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
According to the Wikipedia entry on Anne Frank, her father willed the copyright to the Anne Frank Foundation, with the provision that the first 80,000 Swiss francs went to his heirs; the surplus going to the works of the foundation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Frank
(towards the bottom of the page, in the section titled, "Legacy.")
Under the circumstances, the Foundation may well not wish to give waivers for free ebooks, if they have a duty to provide for the heirs.
Also, if the translator of the original version is still alive, or recently dead (and she was alive 1n 2001) then she, or her estate, would have to waive their copyright too.
Matters are further complicated by the fact that the Anne Frank diary is not one text.
There exist:
1. her original diary.
2. The version she edited,
3. The first published version, as further edited by her father.

Montsnmags has pointed to the most recent version, which has all three texts in parallel. It looks like the most complete text available. It's unlikely to enter the public domain in Europe until 70 years after the death of the last surviving editor/translator.

You can read the editorial history of the Diary here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diary_of_a_Young_Girl

It would be good to see the Diary more widely, even freely, available. It is an enduring monument. But one also has to respect Herr Otto Frank's wishes on the matter.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Thank you Patricia that makes perfect sense, and is totally logical.

But I wonder how he would have felt about this situation.

Well, at least is is out there in paper book form.
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Does the Anne Frank institute linked to at the beginning of this thread, have the ability/right to authorize, the book be digitalized?

I'm not saying this right. In other words, could they give permission for one of you to upload the book legally?
Presumably they could do, but what on Earth would be their incentive to do so? If they wanted to produce an eBook they could do so, and then they'd get the income from that too to aid the work of their foundation. It might be worth contacting them and asking if they have any plans to release it as an eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:19 AM   #22
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
It's a shame that readers don't have PD access to a English translation of The Diary of Anne Frank but do have PD access to a English translation of Hitlers ranting and raving. However for the Anne Frank foundation it must be seen in a positive light, especially when we have put so little value on Hitler's steaming pile of horse manure.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably they could do, but what on Earth would be their incentive to do so? If they wanted to produce an eBook they could do so, and then they'd get the income from that too to aid the work of their foundation. It might be worth contacting them and asking if they have any plans to release it as an eBook.
Did that, and am still waiting for an answer. Perhaps if others did the same? Perhaps they don't see a 'need' or 'market'?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Desertgrandma, I totally agree with you; it's like allowing Adolf to have a voice when Anne is silenced by copyright. Unless, that is, I go and buy the book or dig up loads of documents to prove my ID and rejoin the local library.

(I don't drive or have a recent passport, boy do I have problems proving I'm me.)
How do children get library cards? I expect most children do not have passports, either.

My local library system (http://hclib.org) doesn't require ID or proof of residence to get a card.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
How do children get library cards? I expect most children do not have passports, either.

My local library system (http://hclib.org) doesn't require ID or proof of residence to get a card.
this is true for many libraries but not all. Some need local residence and some just need you physically to apply. Kids need parents to get a library card most places. They all want financial responsibility for physical book checkout but may relax that for eBook checkout.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post

Why does your library support overdrive without eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't know for sure, but my best guess is that it's not within the operating budget. They do have some eBooks from a different service.

I wasn't aware that Overdrive did eBooks until about a week ago, just audio books.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #28
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Most of Europe is on life+70 years.
But, unless you want to read it in the original language, you will have to wait until the English translation is out of copyright.
It will be 70 years, the original language is not english, but dutch (she lived in Amsterdam and wrote in dutch), I've read it, years ago, from a facsimil copy in her own handwriting.

anahid
anahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because when they got funding to setup with OD and NetLibrary there wasn't enough and eAudio Books were in higher demand. At least that's how they explained it to be over a year ago. They said they'd try getting the eBooks from OD into the budget if there were enough requests to show folks wanted it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd love to be able to read that book again (electronically). I read it as a child, and it made a huge impact on me. But after visiting Auschwitz this summer (we never planned to, we just happen to notice it on the map we were using to plan the road for the next day), I'd love to read it again.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anne frank, public domain