Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Wlan
Enthusiast
Wlan began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to remove cover border for Google Books(Epub)

Hello!

I am new to Epub.

When I upload a Epub to Google Books it automatically create a border for all pages including the cover.

Is it possible to remove the border only for the cover? Here is my cover file:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xml:lang="pt-BR" lang="pt-BR">
<head>
<meta name="calibre:cover" content="true"/>
<title>Cover</title>
<style type="text/css" title="override_css">
@page {
padding: 0;
margin: 0;
}
body {
text-align: center;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1375 2200" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">
<image width="1375" height="2200" xlink:href="cover.jpg"/>
</svg>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Even if I set the preserveAspectRatio="none" I get the same result.

Thank you!
Wlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Can you show us what it's doing? I'm not following what you really mean, when you say a "border." Especially for all the screens of your ePUB (pages), given that there aren't any pages????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BTW
border is a valid CSS setting (border-right: 0 ...)

Usually it is left at 'default', but you ca set the width, color and line type, to set a full or partial box around the block
See W3c 'Box Model' for more info
Please be careful on your word choices, lest we start down the wrong path.

Is it possible you image also has a (invisible) border?

"xMidYMid meet" keeps the picture from distorting (maintains aspect, regardless of the displays)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BTW
border is a valid CSS setting (border-right: 0 ...)

Usually it is left at 'default', but you ca set the width, color and line type, to set a full or partial box around the block
See W3c 'Box Model' for more info
Please be careful on your word choices, lest we start down the wrong path.

Is it possible you image also has a (invisible) border?

"xMidYMid meet" keeps the picture from distorting (maintains aspect, regardless of the displays)
Ducky, my one twoo wuv:

S/he says, though, that it's also occurring on his/her "pages," which is why I asked for examples. Presumably, it's not just on the cover or other images.?

Hitch
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Wlan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ducky, my one twoo wuv:

S/he says, though, that it's also occurring on his/her "pages," which is why I asked for examples. Presumably, it's not just on the cover or other images.?

Hitch
Guys,

I am editing my Epub on Calibre and I have set on my CSS:

* {
border-width: 0;
}

When I open my Epub on Calibre it shows everything without border or margin as it should be.

When I open my Epub on Google Books reader it adds a border or margin by default, wich is OK for all content but the cover.

You can upload a Epub to Google Books here: https://play.google.com/books

I am using on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.apps.books

You can upload a Epub and you will see a white border around the cover

I am just wondering if is even possible by code to remove this default border of the cover on Google Books app.

Thank You!
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlan View Post
Guys,

I am editing my Epub on Calibre and I have set on my CSS:

* {
border-width: 0;
}

When I open my Epub on Calibre it shows everything without border or margin as it should be.

When I open my Epub on Google Books reader it adds a border or margin by default, wich is OK for all content but the cover.

You can upload a Epub to Google Books here: https://play.google.com/books

I am using on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.apps.books

You can upload a Epub and you will see a white border around the cover

I am just wondering if is even possible by code to remove this default border of the cover on Google Books app.

Thank You!
A "border" is not a margin. A border is, typically, a line or some other decorative element that is added AROUND the "page" or element in question. Like, around a div or a text-box. Honestly, in an ePUB, I'm kinda scratching my head about how you'd add a border to whatever you've done there; you seem to have added it to everything as a default.

My first thing would be to remove the border css entirely. Yes, I know, you have it set to 0, but there's no reason for that to be there at all. Remove it entirely, the whole line, and see if that helps. ALSO, remove it anyplace else in your CSS/HTML.

I think you'll find that nobody here is going to upload an ePUB to Google Books, just to test your stuff. You'll get better help if you ask questions with screenshots, your code, etc., so that we can take a look and help you, okay?

Good luck--let us know if it works.

Hitch
Old 06-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Wlan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
A "border" is not a margin. A border is, typically, a line or some other decorative element that is added AROUND the "page" or element in question. Like, around a div or a text-box. Honestly, in an ePUB, I'm kinda scratching my head about how you'd add a border to whatever you've done there; you seem to have added it to everything as a default.

My first thing would be to remove the border css entirely. Yes, I know, you have it set to 0, but there's no reason for that to be there at all. Remove it entirely, the whole line, and see if that helps. ALSO, remove it anyplace else in your CSS/HTML.

I think you'll find that nobody here is going to upload an ePUB to Google Books, just to test your stuff. You'll get better help if you ask questions with screenshots, your code, etc., so that we can take a look and help you, okay?

Good luck--let us know if it works.

Hitch
Hitch, I know CSS/HTML an I know "border" is not a margin I expressed myself poorly, sorry about that.

As you should know many Epub readers add a margin by default like Google Books.

I don't know if is possible to remove this default margin from the cover.

Here is the screenshot, you can see the white margins around.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	margin.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	164366  
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlan View Post
Hitch, I know CSS/HTML an I know "border" is not a margin I expressed myself poorly, sorry about that.

As you should know many Epub readers add a margin by default like Google Books.

I don't know if is possible to remove this default margin from the cover.

Here is the screenshot, you can see the white margins around.

Thanks!
AH. As far as I know, just like with Amazon, it's not possible. Assuming that the cover is correctly configured, this is simply "how it is." We get this question ALL the time about Amazon, b/c people get their knickers in a twist, that their cover doesn't fill the whole screen, yadda, but what they don't realize is, according to all use statistics, other than on the sales page, people do not look at the cover again, other than as a placeholder thumbnail on their bookshelf/carousel.

Sorry--maybe one of the publishers here who is more familiar with Google Books can help you, but I suspect not.

Hitch
Old 06-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For a couple years I uploaded the same epub to the KDP as I sent to other bookstores, and once or twice, before I changed my ways, I got the dreaded double cover. My included cover had the white margin; KDP's merged cover filled the screen, at least horizontally.

The first thing I do with every ebook I download, the first thing I do is page back to the cover, then slowly go forward through title page etc, savoring every bit with the possible exception of the TOC in boy-thriller books (they are usually just numbers, and there are scores of them!).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please take the ePub as downloaded by Google Books and post the cover code along with the resolution of the cover image as well as any relevant CSS from the CSS file. Then we ca have a look and see what's going on. Also, you'll see if the code in your cover has been changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Wlan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please take the ePub as downloaded by Google Books and post the cover code along with the resolution of the cover image as well as any relevant CSS from the CSS file. Then we ca have a look and see what's going on. Also, you'll see if the code in your cover has been changed.
JSWolf,

That's a great idea. Unfortunately I have found that you can only download the Epubs that were purchased from Google Books, so I can not download an Epub that I uploaded.

The code I used and the screenshot are in this post, I tested on different devices with the same result, I believe that any code would have the same result, I tried many things. I think it's a Google Books standard, and maybe it really is not possible to change.

Either way it's just a detail, everything else is working perfectly.

Thanks for all the help!