Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Try here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1487 It works on kindle for pc and there is no mention of Oprah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
It's hard to argue with that, but...

I've been wanting to finally read Anna Karenina, and the only title in the Kindle Store from the translation I want (Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky) reads "Anna Karenina (Oprah's Book Club)". I downloaded the sample to see if it would read that way on my Kindle. It does, and I won't buy it.

While she is entitled to promote reading all she wants, she does not in any way deserve to be part of the title.

I must add that I once read that when William F. Buckley Jr, the American conservative author and commentator, was asked about Oprah he said, "Isn't she that woman who is alternately thin then fat?"
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
I think she should. Oprah speaks - the world listens. Richard and Judy (for those of us in the UK) don't quite have the same effect.

To my mind anything that gets people reading is a good thing.
Dan Brown (like his writing or not) got many people picking up a book for the first time since school, and JK Rowling and Harrry Potter did the same for kids.

So if it needs Oprah then petition her to do so.
have you heard of Rowling's new book for adults? It's titled Harry Potter and the Horse.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Try here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1487 It works on kindle for pc and there is no mention of Oprah.
Top posting is so AOL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Top posting is so AOL.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I've been wanting to finally read Anna Karenina, and the only title in the Kindle Store from the translation I want (Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky) reads "Anna Karenina (Oprah's Book Club)". I downloaded the sample to see if it would read that way on my Kindle. It does, and I won't buy it.

While she is entitled to promote reading all she wants, she does not in any way deserve to be part of the title.
I can't help wondering what Tolstoy would have said.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
It won't have the slightest effect on Oprah since she's already read it.
Do you think so? It wouldn't surprise me if she read the Cliff's Notes instead.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #22
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I don't care who recommended a book if it causes someone to read it. I don't see the title saying "Oprah's book club" as beind any different than buying the book in the store and it have that ticker on it that says the same thing.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I, for one, welcome our new Oprah-loving overlords.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #24
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
It's hard to argue with that, but...

Even worse for me is that at the B&N website, the paperback is $1.74 cheaper than the ebook. Thank you Penguin and the rest of the Agency 5 for your price-gouging.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #25
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Are you just griping for pleasure, or do you really want it?

FREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
FREE
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

FREE

FREE
He/she wanted a specific translation. It can make quite a difference.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #27
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Hate is an interesting thing. We'll suffer anything to preserve it.

I suppose that you simply have a great deal of distaste for "celebrities".

My wife hates ereaders - "It's not a real book".

A neighbor's kid likes to read, so I gave him a book that I thought he would enjoy. It turns out that he hates to read from "used" books. What a winner.

I don't watch Oprah. But from what little I've seen (and believe me, it's less than 4 or 5 minutes over the years) she seems to be a lot better than the rest.

MobileRead has 2 English versions. You'll need something like Calibre to shift to a Kindle format.

Good luck.
You started an interesting thread. It has lead to some interesting dialogue.

Others here get my simple point that Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" should remain that. Oprah's a popular talk show host, not a great writer. She shouldn't be part of the title of such a great piece of literature.

But now you accuse me of hate. You are out of line, and I suspect you know it. You have attempted to provoke other participants of this thread with posts that contribute nothing.

My distaste is not for celebrities, it is for those who twist the truth.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #28
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The only time I ever watched the Oprah show was the day Jeff Bezos was a guest, talking about the Kindle, which was the reason I tuned in. I wanted to know more about the device. They sold me, and I bought one. As did many others I'm sure. (The Oprah discount helped.)
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
You started an interesting thread. It has lead to some interesting dialogue.

Others here get my simple point that Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" should remain that. Oprah's a popular talk show host, not a great writer. She shouldn't be part of the title of such a great piece of literature.

But now you accuse me of hate. You are out of line, and I suspect you know it. You have attempted to provoke other participants of this thread with posts that contribute nothing.

My distaste is not for celebrities, it is for those who twist the truth.
I'm sorry that you misinterpreted my meaning. I specifically added the second line so that you would understand that I didn't mean you hated someone.

"I suppose that you simply have a great deal of distaste for "celebrities"."

Quote:
He's just ticked cause no one listened to him when he recommended the Barbie Computer as an ebook reader.
That was meant as a joke and I don't think that JSWolf took offense.

Quote:
Both I and crich70 gave alternatives. In spite of Ea's comment about a certain translation being preferable, I see little reason to reject what may possibly be acceptable translations.

Hopefully you can explain why your particular translation is better. I'm not being facetious. Although I understand that one translation may be better than another, without being able to read it in the original language I literally wouldn't know how bad it may be.

I read The Iliad and The Odyssey about 40 years ago and there is no way, other than learning Greek, that I could really appreciate it fully. But I was glad to have read what I did read.

I recently did something that I find very repulsive. I bought a few DRMed books. And I suspect that my revulsion is much greater than yours.

But if I wanted to read them, I had a choice. Buy them or steal them. While I have no problem with someone downloading an out of print book, I would rather not do so if the book is available. It took me more than a few months to decide to buy them.

Pardon me for misunderstanding your reluctance to buy a book with Oprahs name on the title page. To me the story is more important.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
I think she should. Oprah speaks - the world listens.
Well, maybe the world listens, but I certainly don't. She shamelessly promotes pseudoscience like anti-vaccine campaigns, detox diets, psychic healing and I don't know what else. If that's the kind of opinion leader we have in this country, it's no wonder we're in trouble...
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote