Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2023, 03:50 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Download

Download, remove DRM and don't have door locks, thermostats, lights (IoT) needing the Internet or an Internet Account (worse).

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...nt-disappeared

Not specific to Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:12 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if you do move to another country, leave your old Amazon account alone. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yeah. I don't plan to have any internet-based home appliances, ever. If your connection goes down, you'll sit in the dark or what? Besides, I don't like to talk when I'm alone. Give me old, mechanical, foolproof ways to do things in my home. Or at least any smart gadgets regulating temperature etc. should not need an internet connection.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:11 AM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. I don't plan to have any internet-based home appliances, ever.
I agree. You just have no idea who has access to what as shown in this article...

https://www.csoonline.com/article/31...-backlash.html
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:06 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I agree. You just have no idea who has access to what as shown in this article...

https://www.csoonline.com/article/31...-backlash.html

Never. Never.

(Of course I may change my mind in 20 years or so, but for that to happen there must be some considerable development in internet-based gadgets and their connections. Internet must never go down and no one must have an access to another person's home and things. In short, things must be a lot safer than they are now.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 11:11 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have a smart thermostat and am installing a smart doorbell. Those feel like two practical 'smart' devices. Lights, microwave and the like seem like silly fads.

I do have several Google/Nest smart speakers around the house. Those things are great.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:34 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
My PC identifies available networks. It seems that one of my neighbors has a robot vacuum cleaner that comes complete with its own hot spot.

Meet George Jetson!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:58 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
From the article:

Quote:
The retailer was more helpful when I got in touch, and it turns out the problem stemmed from the fact you closed your account on Amazon.com in October when you were notified of a security breach.

However, when you closed your account on this marketplace, which had a different login, shutting an account on one marketplace closes the same account globally.
...what were they expecting to happen? Just remove any credit cards and change the password.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #9
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I can understand smart lights. Sometimes when I'm out later than expected I come home to a dark house & it's nice to be able to turn on a light before I get out of my car. But a smart thermostat? If my HVAC is working properly then it maintains the temperature where I set it-so I rarely change it. For the few times I do it's no problem to walk over to the thermostat & do it.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:45 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I can understand smart lights. Sometimes when I'm out later than expected I come home to a dark house & it's nice to be able to turn on a light before I get out of my car. But a smart thermostat? If my HVAC is working properly then it maintains the temperature where I set it-so I rarely change it. For the few times I do it's no problem to walk over to the thermostat & do it.
I have an older two story house with only one thermostat control. It is downstairs. But the family room is upstairs and in Texas summers it gets hotter than anywhere else in the house. So it's nice not to have to trudge up and down the stairs to adjust the A/C.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There was a home automation (Lighting) company that went out of business and their server went away. Many K$ of smart light switches in eacch home became dumb (the dimmer-switch would still work manually) until some folk managed to get another server running.

Even a Ring doorbell needs the internet (as opposed to a LAN). I could use my phone to open the garage door, but I stay with the clicker as all I need is power.

One of the main purposes of Internet connected appliances is to sell subscriptions (and harvest your usage data). To me, this is a huge (physical) security issue. If the baddies can get that data, they can tell when no one is normally home. Lots of the data identifies by nature, which 'toys' you have.

With a UPS backing up power for the critical parts of your network, you can still do things that do not need outside connectivity. In many cases, the Cable system / DSL is still up even in an power outage. (more rural systems have equipment at the roadside or pole that boost the service and those may not have power for a longer outage, if at all)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There was a home automation (Lighting) company that went out of business and their server went away. Many K$ of smart light switches in eacch home became dumb (the dimmer-switch would still work manually) until some folk managed to get another server running.
There was also that one IoT juicer. Kind of a hilarious shitshow in hindsight.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:59 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Is it just my faulty memory, or was IoT the 'coming thing' fairly recently? That (almost) completely fizzled. The doorbell and security cameras seem to be the most useful things. Everything else you still have to manually interact with on some level, so having them connected adds very little value.

Like what happened with 3D TV, there's certain gimmicks people just won't fall for.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:17 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
There was also that one IoT juicer. Kind of a hilarious shitshow in hindsight.
There is even an IoT toothbrush! At least it works without the Internet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:32 PM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I can understand smart lights. Sometimes when I'm out later than expected I come home to a dark house & it's nice to be able to turn on a light before I get out of my car. But a smart thermostat?
LOVE my smart thermostats! I have two (small, old...) houses that I go between so one can be empty for weeks. With smart thermostrats I can keep temperature down in the empty one and the turn up temp the day before I go there.
Smart lightning though... Not that useful for me.

Either way, I wouldn't want stuff that couldn't be handled manually, without Internet, as well.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote