Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-22-2023, 02:55 PM   #1
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Badger 2040: tiny kit ereader

I’m not suggesting this is a product people should buy to read on. It’s an 2.9" e-ink dev kit by Pimoroni I thought I’d experiment with as an extremely basic reader. I was particularly interested in the Badger card as I prefer small pocket readers, and suspected I could make one that’s smaller and lighter than what’s currently available as an out of the box ereader.

https://preview.redd.it/aoj77rwunsja...abled&310373a8

PROS
  • Good value (£49/$59 for the Badger card, charging adapter, 500mah battery and a 3D printed backplate)
  • Possibly the most comfortable ereader to hold
  • Possibly the lightest ereader at 42g
  • Fits jeans watch pocket
  • Customisable software (micropython, lots of examples provided)
  • USB C
  • Physical page turn controls
  • No layers on top of eink

CONS
  • Only txt files using example code, and it’s fussy about special characters
  • Not grayscale, so pixel font
  • Only one good pixel font preloaded on the card (I’m doubling it’s size so a pixel font designed to be larger would be better)
  • No light
  • OS battery indicator doesn’t work
  • Battery needs to be disconnected to charge it with a special adapter
  • Only 1MB of available storage - most novels in .txt format will fit, some will not (not sure how hard it is to add an sd card)

Some things I changed in the reader code to make it usable for me:
  • Font (the defaults in the ereader code weren’t designed for non-grayscale screens)
  • Removed constant UI graphics
  • Increased refresh from fast to turbo as flashing the screen between every page was too distracting and slow (still a bit slow and with some ghosting)

Once it’s setup for a book it’s pretty nice to read on, so I’ll try it as my day reader for a while.

Last edited by rowe; 02-22-2023 at 02:58 PM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote