Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2023, 05:40 PM   #46
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Occasionally I've read a book where a character is being described and I'm getting a picture in my mind. Then either the narrator or another character says the person looks like _____. (insert name of real life movie star or other famous person) and that movie star looks very different from the picture I was building.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:06 PM   #47
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Occasionally I've read a book where a character is being described and I'm getting a picture in my mind. Then either the narrator or another character says the person looks like _____. (insert name of real life movie star or other famous person) and that movie star looks very different from the picture I was building.
I was devastated once when an audiobook narrator pronounced a character's name differently than my mind had been saying it to me for years as I was reading the series.

"Seichan". My mind had been pronouncing her name "SAY chin". But the narrator pronounced it "say SHAWN". My heart just fell. How could this be? I had to abandon the audiobook and go back to reading the book myself. For my own sanity.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2023, 11:20 AM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I remember getting a physical at the Selective Service prior to enlisting.
I watched persons in front of me, miss many of the colors on the simple Red, Green, White 2 dot (they turn a knob and 2 dots change color) light box. Turns out poor R or G is a more common issue for Males than I thought (I was into Electronics. We use color codes all the time. I had no issue) .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:29 AM   #49
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's very hard for me to imagine what it's like to never see/taste/smell/hear anything in one's mind..
Same. i can smell and taste in my mind and in dreams is so realistic
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #50
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just watched an episode of a show from the nineties where someone pulled a fax out of the machine, and I could smell it. I get that a lot.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2023, 01:55 AM   #51
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I just watched an episode of a show from the nineties where someone pulled a fax out of the machine, and I could smell it. I get that a lot.
And now we have the answer for an older thread: why do characters in books never need a restroom break.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #52
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And now we have the answer for an older thread: why do characters in books never need a restroom break.
Maybe I haven't fully awakened yet, but you're going to have to explain that.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Maybe I haven't fully awakened yet, but you're going to have to explain that.
Would you want to smell THAT?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #54
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Would you want to smell THAT?
Haha, no. But I must admit that it sometimes makes me want to go.-)
Old 03-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #55
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've always wondered if that's why different people like different colors. One person loves blue while another prefers red.

I've also wondered similarly about taste and food preferences.
When it comes to colors, there may be an argument in favor that colors are more or less the same or very similar for everyone with "normal" color vision; the color red, for instance, is broadly linked to nervousness, violence, or sexual arousal. Clearly this is an evolutionary adaptation to the pigmentation of blood. We don't see blood every day, yet the color does elicit a similar response in a vast majority of people. While it's not a "proof" (as seeing colors remains a fundamentally subjective experience), I struggle convincing myself that what I perceive as "blue" would elicit in someone else the same response as me when I see "red".

In a similar way, blue is known to be a peaceful and relaxing color; just throwing an idea here, but it could maybe be due to a similar evolutionary process, whereby plains (where a lot of the sky can be seen) are safer to humanoids than forests or jungles.

As for food, we have documented examples that some substances taste differently for different people, although they still fall into categories of sort (e.g. "citrusy" vs "soapy" for cilantro). I'd think there's likely more variability here.

Just my 2 cents!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:52 AM   #56
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
As for food, we have documented examples that some substances taste differently for different people, although they still fall into categories of sort (e.g. "citrusy" vs "soapy" for cilantro). I'd think there's likely more variability here.

Just my 2 cents!
I enjoy the bitter/sweet/cinnamon taste of cheap cinnamon hearts but abhor the bitter/sweet taste that both Doctor Pepper and Smarties have. As far as I'm concerned, Doctor Pepper has the distinct taste of the cough syrup my parents used to buy when I was a child.

It took an embarrassing amount of time to realize that most people can not taste the bitterness of the above items (or that of a number of cheap artificially colored red, pink, purple or brown sweets)
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:23 PM   #57
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I enjoy the bitter/sweet/cinnamon taste of cheap cinnamon hearts but abhor the bitter/sweet taste that both Doctor Pepper and Smarties have. As far as I'm concerned, Doctor Pepper has the distinct taste of the cough syrup my parents used to buy when I was a child.

It took an embarrassing amount of time to realize that most people can not taste the bitterness of the above items (or that of a number of cheap artificially colored red, pink, purple or brown sweets)
You're a super-taster? Or is it hyper-taster? When I tested for that I tasted nothing.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:21 AM   #58
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I'm disappointed because I love bitter: Campari, tonic water, aspirins, rapini...
I've never found Dr. Pepper to be bitter. It's my favorite soda. I probably drink one a year. Ok, I'm not a big soda fan.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:18 AM   #59
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I've never tasted Dr. Pepper, but I have become curious about it since reading an essay by John Green in which he says...
Quote:
It’s the only category of soda not named for what it tastes like, which to my mind is precisely why Dr Pepper marks such an interesting and important moment in human history. It was an artificial drink that didn’t taste like anything. It wasn’t like an orange but better, or like a lime but sweet. In an interview, Charles Alderton once said that he wanted to create a soda that tasted like the soda fountain in Waco smelled—all those artificial flavors swirling together in the air. Dr Pepper is, in its very conception, unnatural. The creation of a chemist.
-- The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green, 2021
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #60
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You're a super-taster? Or is it hyper-taster? When I tested for that I tasted nothing.
As far as I can tell I don't taste bitter more acutely but rather have the ability to taste a bitter that most can't. My amateur google-fu indicates that there is a wide variability in 'bitter taste receptor genes'.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote