Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A quote from Sam Clemens (aka Mark Twain) that pretty much says what I feel:

The test of any good fiction is that you should care something for the characters; the good to succeed, the bad to fail. The trouble with most fiction is that you want them all to land in hell, together, as quickly as possible.
Agreed.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I'd love to see more books where the bad win and the good fail.
Just watch about any modern horror movie and you'll get your wish. I guess originally it was supposed to be shocking. But when that's all they ever do, it gets pretty monotonous.
Advert
Old 02-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just watch about any modern horror movie and you'll get your wish. I guess originally it was supposed to be shocking. But when that's all they ever do, it gets pretty monotonous.
They don't scare me, nor do I get a thrill out of being scared. Also, the people in horror movies are just plain stupid or clueless.
For example, the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre had a girl run screaming into a barn to hide from a man chasing her with a chain saw. When he enters, she hits him over the head with a two by four. She then throws the two by four down and runs out of the barn still screaming. The man shakes his head picks up the chain saw and continues the chase. Either continue to beat him with to two by four until he is dead or pick up the chain saw and cut his legs off. Even if he survives, he will not be able to chase her down. End of movie.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:40 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
They don't scare me, nor do I get a thrill out of being scared. Also, the people in horror movies are just plain stupid or clueless.
For example, the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre had a girl run screaming into a barn to hide from a man chasing her with a chain saw. When he enters, she hits him over the head with a two by four. She then throws the two by four down and runs out of the barn still screaming. The man shakes his head picks up the chain saw and continues the chase. Either continue to beat him with to two by four until he is dead or pick up the chain saw and cut his legs off. Even if he survives, he will not be able to chase her down. End of movie.
Apache
Who wants to watch a 6 minute long movie?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to read a lot of westerns as a kid. I hated the ones where the good guy bungled and flailed his way through the book. Then at the end miraculously figured everything out and put the bad guys away. Give me smart protagonists every time. Stupid would get you killed in real life. Most bad guys aren't imbeciles either.
Apache
Advert
Old 02-10-2023, 07:39 PM   #36
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Apache
Thank you! This is a PERFECT example of too stupid to live!!!!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:54 AM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Absolutely agree. I don't watch horror movies, unless I somehow get roped into it. Like you, they don't scare me. The old horror movies depended more on suspense and less on gore. But it seems like those who do get scared watching horror movies get drawn to them.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:55 AM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Who wants to watch a 6 minute long movie?
If it's a modern horror movie, six minutes would be too long.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:58 AM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I used to read a lot of westerns as a kid. I hated the ones where the good guy bungled and flailed his way through the book. Then at the end miraculously figured everything out and put the bad guys away. Give me smart protagonists every time. Stupid would get you killed in real life. Most bad guys aren't imbeciles either.
I read quite a few Louis L'amour books until I finally figured out that they were the same story over and over again. I've never been that quick in the uptake.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:13 AM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Apache
This reminded of a truly excellent K-Drama, Forest of Secrets ("Stranger" on Netflix) - the two goodies were very smart, focused and fallible, and so was the the lead baddie. The result was compelling. Sadly, in both literature and movies/tv, the exception rather than the norm
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:30 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This reminded of a truly excellent K-Drama, Forest of Secrets ("Stranger" on Netflix) - the two goodies were very smart, focused and fallible, and so was the the lead baddie. The result was compelling. Sadly, in both literature and movies/tv, the exception rather than the norm
True, but when you find one it is usually a gem.
Apache
Old 02-11-2023, 05:37 AM   #42
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Absolutely agree. I don't watch horror movies, unless I somehow get roped into it. Like you, they don't scare me. The old horror movies depended more on suspense and less on gore. But it seems like those who do get scared watching horror movies get drawn to them.
My first wife liked horror movies, so I ended up taking her. At least I was only married to her for 3 years. At least I was lucky the second time around and still am. I remember taking the first wife to see Carrie. When the hand came out of the ground at the end, a woman sitting in front of us jumped out of her seat screaming at the top of her lungs. That scared everyone more than the hand. She turned to run and the man with her grabbed her and pulled her back into her seat. He had to grab the other seat arm to keep her in the seat. She was throwing herself against his arm trying to run and was screaming the entire time. I have never seen anything like it since.
Apache
Old 02-11-2023, 06:38 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Apache
In case you missed it:

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:40 AM   #44
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Yes, I have to 'connect' with the characters in some way, which, to me, just means I have some interest in them. I don't have to like them, but I have to have some smidgen of interest in them to continue on.

I read the 'Foreigner' series during the summer, and while it got a bit repetative, and the MC a bit too introspective for me, I liked them all enough to root for them and get through all 21 books and look forward to more.

And now I'm working my way through the latter part of the 'Federation' series. I liked the robot books, and the Hari Seldon books, but the latter books which jump 100's of years after his death and introduce new characters after each jump... Not so much.

I care about certain characters, but not the universe as a whole. (Other than, I'll finish it just to finish it. I don't really care if they reach their Second Empire or not.)

I guess I'm the same way about Star Wars. Certain characters interested me, but the universe as a whole did not. So, if I can't get interested in the characters, no point to going on with a story.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:53 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm fascinated by how so many talk about liking, caring about, or being interested in characters as if they are actual people, rather than successful or unsuccessful constructs of the author; used to propel the plot. I'll go as far as to notice whether the characters are "believable" in their plot arcs (and I may even "like" or "dislike" some of them), but I never see them as fully autonomous entities. I'm almost always generally apathetic to their fictional plights in the long run. But that's probably because I don't strive to hop into their heads (or their worlds) when I'm reading about them. For me, escapism includes the freedom to not have to be truly invested in these fictional contructs' drama/joy (like I need to be in real life). They're disposable: and the author either did them well or they didn't. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-11-2023 at 08:59 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote