Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it OK to use an elibrary card to which you’re not entitled by residence or fee?
It’s wrong and I don’t do it. 33 71.74%
It’s not wrong but I don’t do it. 7 15.22%
It’s wrong but I do it anyway. 1 2.17%
It’s not wrong and I do it. 3 6.52%
I’ve kept using old cards after a move until they expire. 3 6.52%
I have a friend or family member get me a card. 2 4.35%
I use a VPN to make it look as if I’m a resident. 1 2.17%
Other dodgy practice. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #31
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Library cards and morality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I don't mind people using the library through various means, the libraries still gather stats on the usage and it helps funding regardless if the user has a card through questionable means. Really, it helps libraries when their collections are used, it helps justify their budget to city councils and etc...

I'm a librarian so I have some knowledge on how circ counts help libraries. Even ebook circulation helps. Plus most librarians I know just want people to use their resources! They even count items as used when the items aren't checked out but someone pulled it off the shelf and read at a table for a while.
I’ve heard a few librarians say this. Digital catalogs have made me a library patron again. The only thing I ever used my local public library was the adult book club. However, that ended with the pandemic. I think they’ve started back up, but I’m high risk so I won’t be attending. BookTube book clubs have filled in that gap for me. In fact it’s better because my library’s club only 6 books a year. This year I committed myself to two year long clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
What I have a beef with is when non taxpayers for that library issue book challenges! I feel that only the local community should have a say on the library collection development.
This feels outrageous to me too! The nerve of some people.

I don’t know how you feel about this, but I think it’s weird to hear people say they ask the libraries to buy books when they don’t contribute any money to those libraries. If I’ve paid into the system I have no problem with making a recommendation. I’ve never made a recommendation before, but I’m just saying I would have no issue with doing so. However, I could never bring myself to do that where I have permission to borrow, but I don’t contribute. I’m a patron of a library with OverDrive that gives access to everyone in my state. The catalog is super tiny, but I would never make a recommendation. It just doesn’t sit right with me.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 PM   #32
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I’m a patron of a library with OverDrive that gives access to everyone in my state. The catalog is super tiny, but I would never make a recommendation. It just doesn’t sit right with me.
I am guessing that the reason they give access to everybody in the state is because they receive state money to help cover expenses. Otherwise, they would be overgenerous to a fault, to the detriment of their local patrons. Assuming you pay state taxes, you are contributing money to that library. I certainly wouldn't judge you as unethical for making a suggestion for a book that they might want to consider acquiring. No one's going to force you to make a suggestion, but you shouldn't feel shame if you decide to do so. You are paying for access to that library, whether you realize it or not.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2022, 09:37 PM   #33
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I am guessing that the reason they give access to everybody in the state is because they receive state money to help cover expenses. Otherwise, they would be overgenerous to a fault, to the detriment of their local patrons. Assuming you pay state taxes, you are contributing money to that library. I certainly wouldn't judge you as unethical for making a suggestion for a book that they might want to consider acquiring. No one's going to force you to make a suggestion, but you shouldn't feel shame if you decide to do so. You are paying for access to that library, whether you realize it or not.

Except it’s not the state providing this access. The state’s provided catalog is CloudLibrary. This particular city is providing their own catalog through OverDrive so their patrons have access to both. I don’t pay any taxes to this city, but they are still allowing anyone in our state to join.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:28 AM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Except it’s not the state providing this access. The state’s provided catalog is CloudLibrary. This particular city is providing their own catalog through OverDrive so their patrons have access to both. I don’t pay any taxes to this city, but they are still allowing anyone in our state to join.
Is Overdrive access between the city library and other Overdrive reciprocal?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #35
JBaby
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

The city’s library is Overdrive the state’s library is CloudLibrary. So there’s no official not access between the two. I have access to the state library through my local library. The city with Overdrive is 2.5hrs away from me.
Advert
Old 08-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have Overdrive accounts for places I don't live in. But they are in the same state. I got them in person. So I was allowed to have them by the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have Overdrive accounts for places I don't live in. But they are in the same state. I got them in person. So I was allowed to have them by the library.
Washington doesn't have a statewide library system, but most of the libraries have reciprocal borrowing agreements with other libraries. I have six cards - my home card plus five reciprocal cards. I'm eligible for more. Some I registered for in person and others online. I'm able to renew expired cards online.

I use my libraries strictly for audiobooks and I'm very pleased with the large selections. I have no need to seek out libraries and services that will cost me money.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:57 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The city’s library is Overdrive the state’s library is CloudLibrary. So there’s no official not access between the two. I have access to the state library through my local library. The city with Overdrive is 2.5hrs away from me.
I'll try and rephrase my question.

Ignoring the state library. Your library is LIBA. There is another library that is LIBB. LIBA allows patrons of LIBB access to LIBA's Overdrive. Dose LIBB allow Overdrive access to LIBA patrons?
Old 08-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #39
JBaby
Zealot

Quote:
I'll try and rephrase my question.

Ignoring the state library. Your library is LIBA. There is another library that is LIBB. LIBA allows patrons of LIBB access to LIBA's Overdrive. Dose LIBB allow Overdrive access to LIBA patrons?

Sorry I misunderstood. LIBA doesn’t have their own digital catalog. LIBB does allow LIBA’s patrons to access Overdrive. But I don’t know if LIBA knows that. If they do it’s not shown anywhere. I discovered it by accident when trying to find an alternative to BPL. I do know LIBA does interlibrary loans on occasion with LIBB.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #40
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Honest, I think with the amount of libraries that allow you to "buy" into their catalog, then I don't really understand why you would have to get a library card by underhanded means.

However, I started getting into reading during the pandemic - when I was living in Japan. English books are terribly expensive. My US address was my parents' house, so I registered a card through that address. I guess, technically, that would not have been allowed as I was not a "resident" - not that I would have paid taxes anyways due to the foreign income exclusion putting me well below taxable income rates.

I will say I'm not up in arms about the issue. I have 2 free library cards through my county/state and 1 paid one - that's enough for me.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
However, I started getting into reading during the pandemic - when I was living in Japan. English books are terribly expensive. My US address was my parents' house, so I registered a card through that address. I guess, technically, that would not have been allowed as I was not a "resident" - not that I would have paid taxes anyways due to the foreign income exclusion putting me well below taxable income rates.
FYI - libraries are funded by property taxes.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:34 PM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
FYI - libraries are funded by property taxes.
And other ways also?
Old 08-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And other ways also?
Such as donations, fund raising, and out of state library cards.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
And other ways also?
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to which taxes funded libraries and neglected to point that out.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:15 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to which taxes funded libraries and neglected to point that out.
I would guess that there are other "taxes" that also help fund libraries. The taxes may get used indirectly (for example, a city or state income tax may make it to a library through certain special programs (a literacy incentive program, a child education program, internet for libraries program, ...)).

Just a guess.