Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it OK to use an elibrary card to which you’re not entitled by residence or fee?
It’s wrong and I don’t do it. 33 71.74%
It’s not wrong but I don’t do it. 7 15.22%
It’s wrong but I do it anyway. 1 2.17%
It’s not wrong and I do it. 3 6.52%
I’ve kept using old cards after a move until they expire. 3 6.52%
I have a friend or family member get me a card. 2 4.35%
I use a VPN to make it look as if I’m a resident. 1 2.17%
Other dodgy practice. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Library cards and morality

What’s immoral about a library card, you may well ask. Nothing, obviously.

Except. I’m always rather surprised as how open people are about getting or using library cards to which they’re not entitled as a resident or taxpayer. Sharing a card with a friend, for example, and what I think is most common, continuing to use cards after they’ve moved elsewhere. I suspect some have a friend or family member sign them up with a geographically valid IP combined with a physical address. There have been posts about the high costs of borrows to the lending institution, so this isn’t a victimless issue.

So I wonder what people’s thoughts and practices are and do they do things they in fact think they shouldn’t. The poll is private; it’s multiple choice because I’d like people to indicate what they think is the morality of the issue and how they behave, using what means.

ETA: Just to clarify: In terms of this poll, this is not a question of paid-for cards by an out-of-area user, but of cards where the user isn’t entitled and doesn’t meet the terms of use, but uses a fiddle to get access anyway.

Last edited by issybird; 08-02-2022 at 08:01 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's definitely wrong to obtain/use library cards that you're not qualified for. Considering how restrictive publishers are with their rather severe terms for the books that libraries obtain, it only drives up costs when borrowers who have no right to check out these books, reduce the number of check outs available. That forces libraries to either spend more money on books or cut back on services. How fair is that to the local taxpayers who fund these libraries?

There are plenty of legal, and moral, options out there to obtain books. Why cheat the local taxpayers out of their hard earned money?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Except. I’m always rather surprised as how open people are about getting or using library cards to which they’re not entitled as a resident or taxpayer. Sharing a card with a friend, for example, and what I think is most common, continuing to use cards after they’ve moved elsewhere. I suspect some have a friend or family member sign them up with a geographically valid IP combined with a physical address. There have been posts about the high costs of borrows to the lending institution, so this isn’t a victimless issue.

So I wonder what people’s thoughts and practices are and do they do things they in fact think they shouldn’t. The poll is private; it’s multiple choice because I’d like people to indicate what they think is the morality of the issue and how they behave, using what means.
Overdrive does not use GeoIP. I can access my accounts from anywhere. I do it when I'm on vacation. I've accessed Overdrive in the middle of the ocean. I've done it in Mexico, the Bahamas, etc. I've done it in Scotland. I've done it in Florida, New York, and some other states. If Overdrive did use GeoIP, then out of state cards would not work.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-02-2022 at 04:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
She didn't say that Overdrive uses GeoIP. There are some library systems that allow you to get a card online that do use GeoIP though. I saw several when I was looking for libraries that allow anyone to pay a fee to get a card (Tennessee, maybe?). No time to go back and look right now.

(And can you fix your quote, please?)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:06 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
@issybird: Where do elibrary cards which are available to non-residents for a fee fall in this poll?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
@issybird: Where do elibrary cards which are available to non-residents for a fee fall in this poll?
I do have such cards and answered based on those being cards I am entitled to use even though I am a non-resident for those libraries.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I do have such cards and answered based on those being cards I am entitled to use even though I am a non-resident for those libraries.
jhowell is correct. These cards are just as legitimate as cards local patrons are entitled to. Libraries base these fees on what local taxpayers are assessed for library services.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
This is confusing to me since the wording is very specific: "elibrary card to which you’re not entitled as a resident/taxpayer". The way it's worded doesn't include elibrary cards offered to non-residents for a fee.

In any case, the only library card I have is for my local library, which I am entitled to as a resident/taxpayer.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Ah, so this is obviously the problem, rather than the massive price-fixing/gouging the publishers are doing on the eBook licensing scheme.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No issue at all with those! It’s an upfront transaction sanctioned by the issuing library.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ah, so this is obviously the problem, rather than the massive price-fixing/gouging the publishers are doing on the eBook licensing scheme.
I honestly don’t get this. It’s OK to use a fiddle to get a library card for free, just because publishers engage in price-fixing? It’s not even as if the publishers will bear the costs; it’s the taxpayers in the community where you don’t live.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:27 AM   #12
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
This is confusing to me since the wording is very specific: "elibrary card to which you’re not entitled as a resident/taxpayer". The way it's worded doesn't include elibrary cards offered to non-residents for a fee.
Exactly. There is no option for this in the poll.

I have like 5 library cards, not all from my local area. Most libraries in Pennsylvania are part of a state wide program that allows non-residents/non-taxpayer individuals to get a library card based on having a library card to their local library that's part of this statewide program. Not all libraries are a part of this. Of the libraries that aren't a part of this, some allow non-resident cards for a fee. All of those are legitimate and don't have an option in the poll.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:14 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
Exactly. There is no option for this in the poll.

I have like 5 library cards, not all from my local area. Most libraries in Pennsylvania are part of a state wide program that allows non-residents/non-taxpayer individuals to get a library card based on having a library card to their local library that's part of this statewide program. Not all libraries are a part of this. Of the libraries that aren't a part of this, some allow non-resident cards for a fee. All of those are legitimate and don't have an option in the poll.

Greg
I’ve tried to clarify that the poll is about library cards to which you’re not entitled, but are obtained by dubious methods.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Why is this confusing? The question specifically asks about the morality/ethicality of using something to which one is NOT entitled. If one BUYS access from the supplier (through payment of a fee to them), obviously one is entitled, and there is no ethical or moral dilemma.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But getting something you are not entitled to in many countries is fraud, a criminal offence.
Like a discount for a new customer when you are an old customer, but used a different payment method.
Or getting a "poverty" fuel allowance by lying about your assets (offshore of course).

Fraud is essentially a form of theft by lying.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote