Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
Feathers_McGraw
Feathers_McGraw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 WiFi - Disable Amazon Updates / Removal of MKK Developer Keys

I have a kindle 3 WiFi, running firmware 3.4.2.

I recently updated it to the latest firmware, jailbroke it, and installed a ton of mods (MKK, Launchpad, KUAL, USB networking, Backdoor Lock, MyTs terminal, GNU awk, Fonts & Screensaver hacks, and Liberator).

Launchpad and KUAL were both working great until I rebooted with wifi enabled. Amazon seem to have removed the developer keystore in /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore that was installed with MKK, and now KUAL won't run. I can still run MyTs with Launchpad.

This happened with the backdoor "locked" using the backdoor lock hack.

I have had some success re-updating/installing MKK to get the developer keys back, but whatever Amazon is doing means it gets removed again on the next reboot if wifi is on. Moving the keys that are used to verify firmware updates (mv /etc/uks /etc/uks.disabled) has no effect either, so I guess it's some other process that removes the keys.

A lot of people seem to be just keeping the wifi off to prevent things like this from happening. I could do that, but then the kindle would be a lot less useful - my eventual plan is to set up calibre on my server to scrape news sites, and write a script to download the news ebook from my server every day... which requires wifi to be on! I don't want to use a cable.

Plus, I find this really annoying on principle - this is my device, not Amazon's.

Any solutions? I don't mind something that breaks Amazon's other services (in fact I'd prefer that, I'd like to de-couple the device from Amazon as far as possible).

I was thinking that if the device is downloading something from Amazon and running it or installing it, I might change the /etc/hosts file and resolve requests to the relevant hostnames to 0.0.0.0. Presumably the hostnames would be these ones:

Code:
# grep http /opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.fiona.conf
BASE_WEBSITE_URL: http://www.amazon.com
CERT_SERVER_URL : https://fras-g7g.amazon.com/FrasProxy/
REGISTER_SERVER_URL : https://firs-g7g.amazon.com/FirsProxy/
TODO_SERVER=https://todo-g7g.amazon.com/FionaTodoListProxy/
CDE_SERVER=https://cde-g7g.amazon.com/FionaCDEServiceEngine/
Anyone else know how to prevent this from happening without sacrificing wifi? I'm comfortable with solutions that require terminal work (linux user on the desktop and server for >3 years).

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Feathers_McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Development questions belong in the development forum, to where I'm now moving it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The BBB (Block Big Brother) firewall, a KUAL extension.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Feathers_McGraw

Thank you, I noticed that extension before but wasn't sure if it would still be current. Just installed it, turned the BBB filter on, turned the wifi off, and a "Test Kindle Installation Result" ebook appeared almost immediately.

Quote:
Dear Developer,

Your Kindle is no longer a test Kindle and is unable to test active content titles previously signed by authorized developers.

If you want your device to be a test kindle again, please ask the developer to add your device to his list of registered test devices.

Thank You.

The Kindle Team.

Message sent: 8:38 PM GMT August 29, 2016.

Is this something new in firmware 3.4.2?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Add:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
to the top level of visible USB storage.

Then re-install MKK (the keys that got wiped).

Note: Changing the device's registration status will also wipe the keys.

= = = =

I can't say, I don't run it myself.

Dump all log files, archive them up and attach to your next post.
Use the
;dm
command in the main page's search bar box.

Last edited by knc1; 08-29-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
Feathers_McGraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Add:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
to the top level of visible USB storage.
Just a file with that name?

Logs attached... thanks for your help

EDIT: I forgot to add - the device is unregistered. I would prefer not to register it, I'm not going to buy anything from Amazon on it.
Attached Files
File Type: gz all_logs_as_of_Mon_Aug_29_21.07.43_GMT_2016.tar.gz (164.6 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Does this set of logs cover the time period of the events you described?

It seems to be after activating the BBB filter:
Code:
160829:210726 phd[21655]: E udp_tph:sendto_error:to = 23.23.189.57:33434, ret = -1 (of 136), errno = Operation not permitted (1):
(that is: YYMMDD:time)

Where:

Code:
NetRange:       23.20.0.0 - 23.23.255.255
CIDR:           23.20.0.0/14
NetName:        AMAZON-EC2-USEAST-10
NetHandle:      NET-23-20-0-0-1
Parent:         NET23 (NET-23-0-0-0-0)
NetType:        Direct Allocation
OriginAS:       AS16509
Organization:   Amazon.com, Inc. (AMAZO-4)
RegDate:        2011-09-19
Updated:        2014-09-03
Comment:        The activity you have detected originates from a dynamic hosting environment.
and this is a Wifi/3G unit, which I don't recall your mentioning.

Last edited by knc1; 08-29-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Feathers_McGraw

That's the complete log, not sure whether that message is from before our after the problem, because I don't know if the logs are in BST or not.

The time on the test kindle installation result is the right local time for the problem I had.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers_McGraw View Post
That's the complete log, not sure whether that message is from before our after the problem, because I don't know if the logs are in BST or not.

The time on the test kindle installation result is the right local time for the problem I had.
Would you please repeat the sequence of things that gave you the trouble and then dump the (much shorter now) logs again.

That will give me a much better chance of confirming what is happening.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to add - the device is unregistered. I would prefer not to register it, I'm not going to buy anything from Amazon on it.
When you connected to WiFi, Amazon noticed that your Kindle wasn't registered according to their records, and informed your Kindle of the fact. I assume you were using the reginfo hack to trick the Kindle into thinking it was registered?

So your Kindle presumably changed status from "registered" to "unregistered", which triggered the wiping of the developer keys.
(Amazon doesn't want authorized developers to give someone else their test devices and then have that device still be able to install test Kindlets...)

The BBB firewall should save you from that, since it prevents the Kindle from connecting to Amazon and syncing with their registration server.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
Feathers_McGraw

Sure, I'll repeat tomorrow.

Does dumping the log to documents actually remove the data from the system log? If so I'll dump it before I start, then install MKK etc again and dump afterwards if I see the same behaviour.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
Feathers_McGraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I assume you were using the reginfo hack to trick the Kindle into thinking it was registered?
No, why do people do that?

I was using this device years ago and it was registered, but when I dug it out a few days ago I reset it to factory defaults, updated it to the latest FW manually, jailbroke it etc, all without registering. Haven't registered or deregistered it since.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Dumping the log does not clear the logs, although you can diff the before and after versions of the logs...

I kind of assumed if you had everything working without being registered, you must be using the reginfo hack, but maybe not...

Some people do it because they have a lost or stolen device (in the latter case, we assume they only found out after buying it), and they want to use e.g. collections.
Some people just want "privacy", whatever their personal beliefs about that are.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
No, why do people do that?

I was using this device years ago and it was registered, but when I dug it out a few days ago I reset it to factory defaults, updated it to the latest FW manually, jailbroke it etc, all without registering. Haven't registered or deregistered it since.
Which wiped the local copy of the registration status.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:21 AM   #15
Feathers_McGraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which wiped the local copy of the registration status.
Sure, but it has been turned off and on many times since then, will it continue to do this for ever? Do kindles not work properly when they're not registered?

If you bought a new one from a brick and mortar store instead of online, it wouldn't be registered... would it do the same thing as mine is doing now?

Tags
amazon update, backdoor lock, keystore removed, mkk