Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Enlightenment. Man I haven't used that windows manager in ages. Back in the day when the only developer for the WM was rasterman. I pretty much stopped using it when he stopped developing it.

Have you looked into BlackBox not as nice as Enlightenment, but it is very light weight. I was very skeptical about this WM when it first came out but it has proven itself. Over the years is has built a large community as well as widgets for the BB.

=X=
Oh, no! We never looked at BlackBox! You're right! We'll shut down the project immediately because we are clueless idiots who use abandoned software (despite the high volume of activity in the E mailing list).

P.S.: do you know the difference between graphical toolkit and window manager?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
We do (and yes, we also hate bloated monsters, such as KDE or GNOME - there are alternatives).

It's not the redevelopment of hardware, Ondřej just removed the cover to attach the serial console.
Yes I know the difference between a WM and graphical tool kits. But your conversions are also talking about window managers as well.

Last edited by =X=; 07-11-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: cool of period
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
This is going to be a complete replacement of the OS.

And the distro will include the library manager (whichever is developed) and the ebook reading app (FBReader right now - but maybe in a year or two something else could come along.).
So what exactly is the advantage of this? Will it support any DRM formats? My understanding is the FBReader doesn't support any DRM at this time.

Why will OI be better than the software that Bookeen/Astak/Sony provides?

BOb
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So what exactly is the advantage of this? Will it support any DRM formats? My understanding is the FBReader doesn't support any DRM at this time.

Why will OI be better than the software that Bookeen/Astak/Sony provides?

BOb
I don't think that OI, the operating system, will be necessarily *better*. Rather, it will be portable across the various e-ink platforms. Thus, any OI app that runs on, say, the Sony PRS-505, will also run on the iLiad, the Jinke V3, the Cybook, the Kindle and the Astak models - and maybe even the Readius when it comes out.

Also, there is hope that we can get it set up to allow OI to run 'from SD card', which means the original firmware will still be present on the device. This has not yet been implemented, but work is ongoing in that area, if I understand right. This latter means that you can own a Kindle and read Kindle DRM ebooks *AND* read non-DRM eReader ebooks without having to buy a second ebook reader or go through the conversion process. Think of the joy of being able to open a CHM ebook on your iLiad, Cybook or Readius, all without having to extract, re-format and convert!

Derek
Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Think of the joy of being able to open a CHM ebook on your iLiad, Cybook or Readius, all without having to extract, re-format and convert!

Derek
To be fair, if you install FBReader, you already can read such books on the iLiad.
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Man take a chill pill did you forget you meds. Now I may be calling you something else but I was not calling you an idiot. It was just a suggestion.
Secondly my comment was directed to delphidb96 not to you so if you take offense make sure people are talking to you first.

And yes I know the difference between a WM and graphical tool kits. But your conversions are also talking about window managers as well.
Yes, I think dottedmag understands that about the windows manager.

You have to understand that dottedmag is far more involved with the actual development than I am. I got involved simply because I have both a Cybook and an EB-100 and I wanted to see if they were hardware identical - they are. I'm, at this point, more of a rah-rah-rah cheerleader than a hard-core programmer on the OI project. I hope to become more involved in the programming end.

But you have to remember that much of this has been debated, ad nauseum, over at OI and the progress has reached the point where to re-open the debate would entail backing-down from much of what is already working on the V3. And given the wide range of backgrounds, I'm sure the initial debates over what to use were occasionally quite acrimonius.

So, if you would rather use QTopia or BlackBox, then please feel free to snag a V3, the OI source as it stands, and start developing an alternative graphical tool kit and window manager. As OI is open-source, I'm sure there will be others who will gladly embrace your work.

Derek
Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be fair, if you install FBReader, you already can read such books on the iLiad.
So I've been told elsewhere. Of course, as I do NOT own an iLiad, I want this same capability on my Cybook and EB-100! (Although I must admit that most of the chm'd Linux technical books I've converted to Mobi do read okay. But it's such a hassle to extract and re-format. )

Derek
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
First of let me apologize to you and dottedmag. I obviously struck a nerve with both of you without any mal intent on my behalf. I just saw this post and gave my unsolicited 2 cents. I was not aware I was rehashing some hot debates.

Much has changed since my earlier days when I heavily participated with the Linux development community, before new comers where always welcomed. I will refrain from taking any more of your time.

=X=
Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
First of let me apologize to you and dottedmag. I obviously struck a nerve with both of you without any mal intent on my behalf. I just saw this post and gave my unsolicited 2 cents. I was not aware I was rehashing some hot debates.

Much has changed since my earlier days when I heavily participated with the Linux development community, before new comers where always welcomed. I will refrain from taking any more of your time.

=X=
=X=.

I'm *NOT* angry with you. Far from it. And I think that MR is one of the best places to ask questions and toss in one's $0.02.

When I urged you to 'have at it' with QTopia or BlackBox, I meant it. It may be that you'll come up with a better toolkit for ARM devices than already exists in that area. If you don't want to, or don't have the time, I believe someone else will rise to the challenge. After all, this is what started OI in the first place.

Derek
Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #25
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
Some ideas:
For my point of view it is not necessary to have any windows manager, neither blackbox nor enlightenment. The program that is useful for a ebook reader, for example a library browser, reader, pdf or so, this can all be implemented without any libs from a windows manager.

Apart from the X there is also the possibility to make the application purely in framebuffer. Some GUI interface to framebuffer is demonstrated already, especially these two, looks quite interesting:
http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/
http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/fwe.html
The FBUI works only on Kernel 2.6.9. I think it would be very tedious to implement programs based on X.

Anyway Derek, it is really a brilliant idea. Highly respect!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
Some ideas:
For my point of view it is not necessary to have any windows manager, neither blackbox nor enlightenment. The program that is useful for a ebook reader, for example a library browser, reader, pdf or so, this can all be implemented without any libs from a windows manager.

Apart from the X there is also the possibility to make the application purely in framebuffer. Some GUI interface to framebuffer is demonstrated already, especially these two, looks quite interesting:
http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/
http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/fwe.html
The FBUI works only on Kernel 2.6.9. I think it would be very tedious to implement programs based on X.

Anyway Derek, it is really a brilliant idea. Highly respect!
Hanselda,

Don't respect me! I'm just one of the fringe people at OI. But feel free to pass your respects onto dottedmag, ondra, wenjie, lunohod and the rest of the gang!

Derek
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #27
yunhaid
Enthusiast
yunhaid doesn't litteryunhaid doesn't litter

hello, being very interested in the above operations to the EINK machine you have made. can you open the source and the instructions including the hardware interface(RS232->X). i want to follow your instructions to do same operations like you.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunhaid View Post
hello, being very interested in the above operations to the EINK machine you have made. can you open the source and the instructions including the hardware interface(RS232->X).
There is a lot of information on the OpenInkpot Trac, and OpenInkpot has a mailing list there.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #29
yunhaid
Enthusiast
yunhaid doesn't litteryunhaid doesn't litter

I have seen the openinkprot before, which didn't provide intructions with more details for these operations. i should directly ask the author to ask for help.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunhaid View Post
I have seen the openinkprot before, which didn't provide intructions with more details for these operations. i should directly ask the author to ask for help.
Yunhaid,

Which e-ink reader do you have? Different models have different rs232 connection points.

Derek