Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
How and where to start hacking the 505?

Can anyone give a pointer on how and where to start hacking the 505?

for example, what tool to use, and what file to first looking at?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I will release the updated Universal Flasher "soon" (c).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Great News! The 505 will be the best reading device "soon" (c)!

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Great News! The 505 will be the best reading device "soon" (c)!

Isn't it already?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
I am thinking exchange my 500 for an 505 now
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Isn't it already?
That's debateable.

I'm impressed on how quickly igorsk has updated the flasher. Seriously great work.

What part of it had to be changed from the 500? Will the 505 flasher work on the 500, or will there be a way to use a single download for both devices?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
That's debateable.
I agree that it is debatable if the 505 without hacks is better than a 500 with hacks. I will say for sure that a 505 with hacks is the best!

-Greg
Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 is better because of a bunch of things...
1. The vizplex screen
2. the USB interface
3. The new menu modes for dealing with a lot of content
4. More internal ram
5. The buttons on the right instead of the left (IMHO
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 is better because of a bunch of things...
1. The vizplex screen
2. the USB interface
3. The new menu modes for dealing with a lot of content
4. More internal ram
5. The buttons on the right instead of the left (IMHO
Of course the 505 is better. I was expressing how much I like the hacks using a bit of exageration. Heck, the 505 even has the direct page access hack implemented as a feature. I just wish they did the clock hack too. But if they did then what fun would be left for the smart people of this forum?

-Greg

Last edited by Greg G; 10-18-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Of course the 505 is better. I was expressing how much I like the hacks using a bit of exageration. Heck, the 505 even has the direct page access hack implemented as a feature. I just wish they did the clock hack too. But if they did then what fun would be left for the smart people of this forum?

-Greg
If they implemented the clock hack, people would complain why the clock is not running between page turning

I actually love the clock hack on 500 for two reasons: 1) it remembers the last time when I used the reader, something like 2:13AM. 2) you can see how long you have dwelled on one page when you flip to next, like 10:54AM - 10.49AM = 5 minites.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 500 hacks I miss most with the 505 is the smaller font size and the clock. I do like the page turn hack, but if need be, I could live without that one. I'm not sure I'd need to remap the page turn keys like I did on the 500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
ArcherPDA
ArcherPDA began at the beginning.

Device: Archer PDA; PRS-505LC
RSS FEEDS!!!!!!!! !!! for the love of mike!

Please please please help me end this SONY-imposed information embargo!!!!!

Slate.com? Puh-leeeassse!

OK, users MUST have the ability to add their own RSS feeds, AND sync daily.
ArcherPDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding support for RSS feeds idoesn't really need SONY. All the individual tools are there, you just need to combine them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote