Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Unhappy charging a prs-500

Ok, here is a question that has me baffled. I have a prs-500. I saw a thread a while back that started by saying that only a windows machine with the software installed would charge one. There was some discussion and it seemed to me that the people who were getting one to charge without the software had a 505. Maybe that was wrong. In any case, I plugged my 500 into my ibook g4 with a usb cable and it would not charge. I then went d*** as I was on vacation and the charger was at home. I then used the same cable with my asus 701 eee. It charged. I am running linux on the asus, so windows is not involved. Any ideas?

thanks
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
If I remember right I think alot of people said not to charge it thru the usb because it actually takes away power from the battery.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Interesting - when you say it charged, did you get the red light above the power switch? Or just the "connected" screen?

You don't have any of the Linux reader tools installed on the eee?

I remember a few folks have had erratic success getting the Reader to charge via USB without software, but I seem to recall it's been on non-Windows machines.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 07-16-2008 at 06:39 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Yes, I mean that I got the red light above the power switch. Both computers generated the connected screen, but only the ASUS generated the red light and changed the battery indicator from 2 bars to full. And yes, I do not have any software installed on the ASUS other than the factory stuff. I do have a version of libprs500 (it is that old) installed on the ibook.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Thanks - that's a good data point, but it beats me why it worked.

It's the USB driver, not the ebook Library software, that provides the necessary handshake, I believe. So either the eee Linux has a Sony Reader driver built in, or whatever driver is winding up assigned to that port is providing the right handshake with the Reader.

Maybe one of our Linux gurus will see this thread and hazard a more informed guess. But until then, Yet Another Reason to buy an eee!

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote