Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Dictionary

Before I got my nook I was wondering about the dictionary lookup. I mentioned here that I tried a demo nook in the store and had problems with slow lookups.

It seems that the dictionary is one of the free books you download initially to the nook from B&N. Only after that is installed can you look up words in books. I was disappointed when my first random lookup (the word "falsely") returned no result.

After downloading the dictionary (which BN should have mentioned somewhere in the setup instructions, somewhere after "how to unbox your nook" perhaps) everything seems fine.

The method for looking up words could stand some improvement. I hope BN revamps this in later updates. I know the eInk display isn't touch-capable and that doesn't bother me. One more screen gathering fingerprints would annoy me. But if I'm using the LCD to use the dictionary, it should display the results in the LCD as well. Blanking my book text to show dictionary results is a bit odd.

Also, I'd like an option to download more exhaustive dictionaries, even if they come with a purchase price. Merriam-Webster Collegiate is a little like a Reader's Digest version of the dictionary.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree with you. Dictionary implemented on Nook should be drastically improved. My thoughts about some of the improvement:

1. When choosing word for lookup, especially when the word is located at bottom of the page, Nook should allow us to press up button and the cursor will wrap (or warp!) to the last line of the screen; instead of pressing down button several times before reaching the line containing that word

2. the dictionary should be more clever in searching (and found) those words ending with "s", "ly", "ing", etc...
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I put up a review on BN.com about the Miriam Webster "Pocket" Dictionary they use to look up words on the nook. As with the other reviews written, I gave it a bad rating. Hopefully, BN gets the hint.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote