Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #1
avp
avp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Aura H2O doens't do anything

Hello,

My Kobo Aura H2O doensn't do anything anymore. I only see 3 dots on the screen. See attachment.

I flashed already the internal SD-card, but it doens't fix the problem. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Last edited by avp; 08-19-2022 at 01:02 PM.
avp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What happens when you try to start it? Does the screen do anything? Does the frontlight turn on? Does the power LED do anything? Have you checked the cables to the screen and light are seated correctly? Have you charged it? Have you tried turning it on when plugged in?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
avp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What happens when you try to start it? Does the screen do anything? Does the frontlight turn on? Does the power LED do anything? Have you checked the cables to the screen and light are seated correctly? Have you charged it? Have you tried turning it on when plugged in?
What happens when you try to start it? Nothing
Does the screen do anything? No
Does the frontlight turn on? No
Does the power LED do anything? No
Have you checked the cables to the screen and light are seated correctly? Yes, they are seated correctly
Have you charged it? Yes
Have you tried turning it on when plugged in? Yes
Old 08-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #4
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I have the same problem. In my case I tried charging it but no matter how long it was plugged in (both wall outlet and computer) there was no change. Nothing at all to indicate it was charging or charged. Power LED blinked a few times but that was it. All the power button did was dim the screen to sleep; when I "wake" it the 3 dots go back and forth in the loading pattern but that's all. It won't shut off or restart even when attempting to factory reset and the paperclip trick to force a reboot also fails. Right before it started doing this I had been loading books on it but when I plugged it back in after the last half dozen epubs both Windows and Calibre reported problems recognizing it. The Kobo itself threw up a couple onscreen errors about the SD Card and the battery, then failed to restart. Screen just kept showing those three darned dots no matter what I did. Being disabled I can't dismantle the thing myself nor do I have anybody that can help out with that so I have no idea if the cables or any of its other innards are the problem. I ended up sticking it in a drawer and buying a Libra when they went on sale but I'd love to get it working again if at all possible.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:34 AM   #5
avp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
I have the same problem. In my case I tried charging it but no matter how long it was plugged in (both wall outlet and computer) there was no change. Nothing at all to indicate it was charging or charged. Power LED blinked a few times but that was it. All the power button did was dim the screen to sleep; when I "wake" it the 3 dots go back and forth in the loading pattern but that's all.

It's not the same. My dots don't go back and forth. They are freezed. And the screen doesn't dim to sleep.
Advert
Old 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Whoa! Sounds like yours is even deader than mine. :-(
Hope somebody has an idea that might help. I've been hunting about on the Kobo site and around the Net but so far haven't found anything to suggest either a cause or a fix.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avp View Post
It's not the same. My dots don't go back and forth. They are freezed. And the screen doesn't dim to sleep.
If the screen is frozen I'd say that either the battery is totally flat or the cables connecting the screen are disconnected.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
I have the same problem. In my case I tried charging it but no matter how long it was plugged in (both wall outlet and computer) there was no change. Nothing at all to indicate it was charging or charged. Power LED blinked a few times but that was it. All the power button did was dim the screen to sleep; when I "wake" it the 3 dots go back and forth in the loading pattern but that's all. It won't shut off or restart even when attempting to factory reset and the paperclip trick to force a reboot also fails. Right before it started doing this I had been loading books on it but when I plugged it back in after the last half dozen epubs both Windows and Calibre reported problems recognizing it. The Kobo itself threw up a couple onscreen errors about the SD Card and the battery, then failed to restart. Screen just kept showing those three darned dots no matter what I did. Being disabled I can't dismantle the thing myself nor do I have anybody that can help out with that so I have no idea if the cables or any of its other innards are the problem. I ended up sticking it in a drawer and buying a Libra when they went on sale but I'd love to get it working again if at all possible.
That sounds like a failing SD card. If you can get someone to pull it apart, you can replace the card. You will need the image for the card, but, that can be supplied.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:51 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp View Post
What happens when you try to start it? Nothing
Does the screen do anything? No
Does the frontlight turn on? No
Does the power LED do anything? No
Have you checked the cables to the screen and light are seated correctly? Yes, they are seated correctly
Have you charged it? Yes
Have you tried turning it on when plugged in? Yes
Reading this, it doesn't sound good. Maybe the switch is dead which would explain a lot of the problems. But, plugging it in, should turn it on after a few seconds. Or a bit longer if the battery is completely run down.

But, it does prompt another question: Does the power LED come on when the device is plugged in?

If the power LED is not coming on when plugged in, it could be the USB port. That would explain all of the other things if the battery is flat and cannot be charged.

Something you can try is to plug it in and leave it overnight. There have been quite a few reports of devices not working, forgetting to unplug them, and then finding them working the next day. Of course, if it is the socket, that will not help.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #10
avp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If the screen is frozen I'd say that either the battery is totally flat or the cables connecting the screen are disconnected.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
The cables are connected. I disconnected them en connect them again, no effect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Reading this, it doesn't sound good. Maybe the switch is dead which would explain a lot of the problems. But, plugging it in, should turn it on after a few seconds. Or a bit longer if the battery is completely run down.

But, it does prompt another question: Does the power LED come on when the device is plugged in?

If the power LED is not coming on when plugged in, it could be the USB port. That would explain all of the other things if the battery is flat and cannot be charged.

Something you can try is to plug it in and leave it overnight. There have been quite a few reports of devices not working, forgetting to unplug them, and then finding them working the next day. Of course, if it is the socket, that will not help.
no, the power LED doesn't come on when the device is plugged in. I plugged it in for more then 24 hours, but it doesn't help.

2 possibilities I guess: the USB socket or the battery is broken.

Tags
aura, dots, h2o, kobo