Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2022, 11:53 PM   #46
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by windirt View Post
yes, I'm using the 0.11.3, but I saw the 0.11.4 just released.
0.11.3 is fine on my Libra 2. that version solved the problemes i had before.

Here is my config file, just edit out the parts you want removed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nanoclock.zip (40.7 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-05-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:44 AM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've reverted to 4.32.x on the Sage as I can't see any advantage to 4.33.x and Advanced Notebook was affected by 4.33.x: handwriting would vanish while writing and reappear later. Notebook exporting needed two attempts. On 1st it would be ages if you didn't tap cancel and 2nd attempt instant.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
4.33 is meant to have made changes to battery management on the Sage and Libra 2

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
4.33 is meant to have made changes to battery management on the Sage and Libra 2
Actual management or just the display of the status? In any case poor usability of the Advanced Notebook means 4.33.x isn't viable on the Sage N778. I didn't notice much difference to the battery usage anyway.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm five minutes into running 4.33 on the Sage and I've already experienced a whole bunch of wonky-as-hell screen refreshes (reminiscent of how broken the display driver got on the Elipsa when you enabled the display driver's verbose debugging flags via debugfs).

Wheee.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm five minutes into running 4.33 on the Sage and I've already experienced a whole bunch of wonky-as-hell screen refreshes (reminiscent of how broken the display driver got on the Elipsa when you enabled the display driver's verbose debugging flags via debugfs).

Wheee.
Yes, 4.32.x seems better for Sage & Elipsa. I only had a problem with the Notebook, but I have reading refresh set to every page.

I've not tested the Libra (original) much on 4.33.x, but it seems OK.
I was going to recall the Nia and update it from 4.32.x to 4.33.x, but as it's working and the user is happy I won't. I told them not to set up WiFi.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #52
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No kernel update on the Elipsa (nor was there in 4.32), it's still a February build.

On the other hand, the Sage got an updated kernel both times.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I noticed some weird updating when opening a new sideloaded kepub on the Sage over the weekend. I meant to have a look at the image used for the first page to see if there was anything unusual about it. I also had the ghosting get really bad when reading at some point. After starting the next chapter it was back to normal. But, I don't know what I had done just before this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #54
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That was on the home screen on my end, and was fairly easily reproduced by repeatedly showing/dismissing the same menu popup (be that the wifi or battery one, or NickelMenu's).

That sometimes lead to delayed and tiled flashing in roughly four quadrants (of varying heights, IIRC, and possibly refreshed in sequence in counter-clockwise order, I'd say?).

(That it seems to think that it requires an update, and worse, a flash, in largely unrelated parts of the screen at all is already a bug in the collision handling, but, oh, well ^^).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-05-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:38 PM   #55
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
0.11.3 is fine on my Libra 2. that version solved the problemes i had before.

Here is my config file, just edit out the parts you want removed.

I do compare both of our ini files. the only difference are two options:

Quote:
backgroundless=false
overlay=false
I set both options to true to get better looking contrast and borderless effects.

At first I was more suspicious of the autofresh option, but you also set it to true, so those are the only two options left that could cause the crash.

I'll try to install 0.11.04 and try the new config again.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:42 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That was on the home screen on my end, and was fairly easily reproduced by repeatedly showing/dismissing the same menu popup (be that the wifi or battery one, or NickelMenu's).

That sometimes lead to delayed and tiled flashing in roughly four quadrants (of varying heights, IIRC, and possibly refreshed in sequence in counter-clockwise order, I'd say?).

(That it seems to think that it requires an update, and worse, a flash, in largely unrelated parts of the screen at all is already a bug in the collision handling, but, oh, well ^^).
I can do that as well, but, only if I don't let the popup finish painting. If I wait for the popup to finish, it doesn't refresh the rest of the screen I don't see the full screen refresh. And even when I do it to quickly, it takes few taps to get the flash. And I think when it happens, I end up with multiple popups opened.

I don't find that a problem. Isn't this a case where the number of changes to parts of the screen trigger an escalation of the refresh to the full screen? And it is happening when you are doing an unusual action. But, the frequency of the updates might be what is triggering the escalation. It doesn't happen on my other devices, but, I don't have a Libra 2. That has the same type/model of screen. Does it happen there?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:29 AM   #57
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I used to get updates fairly quickly (just an impression, I didn't take note of the actual time since release) but still haven't gotten this one.
I wonder if Kobo made changes to how update propagation works.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:46 AM   #58
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Had a freeze yesterday night, while reading Peter Singer's ramblings. A book from Overdrive, not sideloaded but downloaded by Kobo (so I assume it is KePub). Seemed random to me; was just going to turn the page when I noticed nothing responded. Can't see that the book is any heavy load on the device; 950+ pages but no images. Forced reboot fixed it.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can do that as well, but, only if I don't let the popup finish painting. If I wait for the popup to finish, it doesn't refresh the rest of the screen I don't see the full screen refresh. And even when I do it to quickly, it takes few taps to get the flash. And I think when it happens, I end up with multiple popups opened.

I don't find that a problem. Isn't this a case where the number of changes to parts of the screen trigger an escalation of the refresh to the full screen? And it is happening when you are doing an unusual action. But, the frequency of the updates might be what is triggering the escalation. It doesn't happen on my other devices, but, I don't have a Libra 2. That has the same type/model of screen. Does it happen there?
I don't *remember* the flashing thing happening on mxcfb hardware, FWIW, but the latest one I have is a Forma, not a Libra 2 .

FWIW, I wasn't really spamming taps, those were fairly spaced out taps, so the duplicate popups thing doesn't ring a bell to me .

And I don't *think* the Home screen is set-up to escalate to a flash (ever), either .
Old 06-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Definitely not happening on a Forma (at least on 4.31, will update once the battery goes above 20% [EDIT: Same on 4.33]), and the refresh is perfectly fine and localized to the icon & popup:

Code:
[pid   193] 14:48:31.176864 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=0, left=1056, width=90, height=139}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=175, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000694>
[pid   193] 14:48:31.311992 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=0, left=1056, width=90, height=139}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=176, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000596>
[pid   193] 14:48:31.313827 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=144, left=676, width=721, height=415}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=177, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000342>
[pid  1256] 14:48:31.355594 [71b974ec] ioctl(46<socket:[9058]>, FIONREAD, [631]) = 0 <0.000738>
[pid   193] 14:48:34.170359 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=144, left=676, width=721, height=415}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=178, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000622>
[pid   193] 14:48:36.635961 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=0, left=1056, width=90, height=139}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=179, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000605>
[pid   193] 14:48:36.745592 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=0, left=1056, width=90, height=139}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=180, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000601>
[pid   193] 14:48:36.747433 [71b974ec] ioctl(3</dev/fb0>, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE_V2, {update_region={top=144, left=676, width=721, height=415}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO => WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=181, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=NULL, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0 <0.000170>
It goes icon highlight -> icon unhilight -> show popup -> close popup -> etc.

And nothing ever flashes, either in Home or Library views.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-06-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release