Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Soonerlater
Soonerlater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Automatically Change Title & Author Metadata from ISBN?

If I can manually supply the correct ISBN, is there a way to have Calibre extract the proper Title and Author name from ISBN lookup, then use that to extract data to automatically change the book (a .MOBI) to reflect the correct title and author? And, if yes, would the changes be written into the actual file or only in the Calibre library database?

I have 93 MOBI files with incorrect titles and authors in the metadata (and in the Calibre Library). I want to save them to disk (not merely in the Calibre Library) with the proper metadata in the actual files.

Can this be automated somehow by just manually supplying the correct ISBN?

This seems like a question that's probably been asked a lot before, but I searched and couldn't find any threads on it. Probably a poor search structure on my part, but I did try.
Soonerlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Soonerlater

SOLVED: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/metadata.html

Downloading metadata
The nicest feature of the edit metadata dialog is its ability to automatically fill in many metadata fields by getting metadata from various websites. Currently, calibre uses isbndb.com, Google Books, Amazon and Library Thing. The metadata download can fill in Title, author, series, tags, rating, description and ISBN for you.

To use the download, fill in the title and author fields and click the Fetch metadata button. calibre will present you with a list of books that most closely match the title and author. If you fill in the ISBN field first, it will be used in preference to the title and author. If no matches are found, try making your search a little less specific by including only some key words in the title and only the author last name.
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not Automatic. AFAIK NOTHING in Calibre makes a change to books CONTAINED in the library without the user clicking something to force it

Step 1: Update the Metadata in Calibre:
Step 2: Select books to update; Click Polish (a hand broom icon. May need to be added to your toolbar)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
Soonerlater

Thank you!