Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
How to force shutdown a Kobo?

This is a question, because I have not found an answer.

Apparently the only non-violent way to force shutdown a Kobo is to hold down the power button for a long time. However, Vlasovsoft's reader hung up on me and this reader (and/or Kobo Start Menu) somehow prevents force shutdown by holding down the power button.

Other than taking the device apart and remove the battery, does someone know a way?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Does it have a pin hole reset?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Does it react to being plugged into a computer?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you sure it's not powering down? Remember the screen will still show the last image.

Also are you sure the battery isn't discharged?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
And if the battery isn't discharged, and it won't turn off, eventually the battery will be discharged, and it will be forced off.

Then you can fully charge the battery and turn it back on, reset.

But it would be better if you could use the pinhole reset before that happens.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2018, 05:05 AM   #6
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does it have a pin hole reset?
I tried that too to no effect.

Eventually, what worked:

Wait for next day and then plug in the charger.

I suspect that that Vlasovsoft's thing hung by itself for some weird reason. The battery was well charged at the time. My attempts at poweroff were fruitless. Had they been successful, some of my presses at the power button would have powered the device on.

However, the next day the device awakened when I connected the charger. Looks like the hanging had quickly depleted the battery.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Sorry, manufacturers, but all electronic devices need a removable battery. Definitely.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
I tried that too to no effect.

Eventually, what worked:

Wait for next day and then plug in the charger.

I suspect that that Vlasovsoft's thing hung by itself for some weird reason. The battery was well charged at the time. My attempts at poweroff were fruitless. Had they been successful, some of my presses at the power button would have powered the device on.

However, the next day the device awakened when I connected the charger. Looks like the hanging had quickly depleted the battery.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Sorry, manufacturers, but all electronic devices need a removable battery. Definitely.
i was saying the same thing on here 4 years ago a removable/replaceable battery should be the standard as you say on all electronic devices including ereaders.

thankful for me i didn't hold my breath.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You have to bear in mind that a removable battery has quite a few implications.

Connector on both the battery and writing inside the device
Removable flap on case
Possibly an internal shield to seperate battery compartment from rest of device
Possible regulations on shipping of devices with removable batteries

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I could bring back my old retired Jetbook Lite. I still have a backup, in its original packaging.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i was saying the same thing on here 4 years ago a removable/replaceable battery should be the standard as you say on all electronic devices including ereaders.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You have to bear in mind that a removable battery has quite a few implications.

Connector on both the battery and writing inside the device
Removable flap on case
Possibly an internal shield to seperate battery compartment from rest of device
Possible regulations on shipping of devices with removable batteries
Cell phones seem to be able to handle it without issue – at least the older ones I use, like my Blackberry Q10. And I'm glad it does because I recently had to replace the battery, my phone was rebooting itself with the old one.

I bought an Astak EZReader PocketPRO at Shop Goodwill and it has an easily replaceable battery. Apparently whoever owned it before me replaced the battery because this thing holds a charge for a couple months and seems to last forever when reading on it. And it was built in 2009.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Agreed.
Cell phones seem to be able to handle it without issue – at least the older ones I use, like my Blackberry Q10. .
Is the Blackberry Q10 waterproof?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote