Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #76
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Also you would be wrong in stating this device has nothing the others do not.
Would you care to elaborate what this new Nook has that Kobo and Kindle have not had for the past year? As far as I know, the previous Kindle PW (PW1) already had this screen technology, and Kobo is one up with their HD reader.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #77
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Would you care to elaborate what this new Nook has that Kobo and Kindle have not had for the past year? As far as I know, the previous Kindle PW (PW1) already had this screen technology, and Kobo is one up with their HD reader.
its white/grey and has a bumper guard

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-30-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #78
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
It isn't sitting there doing nothing, but it also isn't available for storing books! 2,5 GB in total available for content, of that only 500 MB is available for sideloaded content. Enough for me, but not for everyone!
So i cant purchase books and store it on the the 2.5 gb?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #79
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
its white/grey and has a bumper guard
Wow, really scratching the bottom of the barrel, aren't we?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #80
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Wow, really scratching the bottom of the barrel, aren't we?
Aesthetics is a big deal for so many of you, why would that be scratching at the bottom of the barrel? They are both legitimate differences and imo a refreshing change from the tired black slates of kindle and to a lesser extent kobo. They at least like nook came up with some aesthetics on theirs that no one else has.(ie:flush bezel)

I really am digging the look of this new nook.
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #81
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
So i cant purchase books and store it on the the 2.5 gb?
If you don't purchase from B&N you can't. If you want to purchase from other places or edit your books purchased from B&N, you have a whopping 500 mb to play with.

WOW!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #82
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
If you don't purchase from B&N you can't. If you want to purchase from other places or edit your books purchased from B&N, you have a whopping 500 mb to play with.

WOW!!!
Thats what i thought. I buy stuff from bn and kobo mostly. I have no issues buying from bn. That 500 mb will last me the life of the reader. Why would i want to edit my books from bn? I buy books to read not endlessly edit them. I think you all are going way overboard with this.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #83
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Why would i want to edit my books from bn? I buy books to read not endlessly edit them. I think you all are going way overboard with this.
Because some have formatting errors, missing a cover, or have spelling mistakes (there are quite a few OCR'ed books out there, many without proper proof-reading), or simply because you want to strip DRM. You may not have a need to edit books, but it does not imply everybody is in the same bucket.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #84
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Because some have formatting errors, missing a cover, or have spelling mistakes (there are quite a few OCR'ed books out there, many without proper proof-reading), or simply because you want to strip DRM. You may not have a need to edit books, but it does not imply everybody is in the same bucket.
And some prefer to take advantange of the Hyphenating plug in for Calibre so that books will be displayed hyphenated.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #85
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
And some prefer to take advantange of the Hyphenating plug in for Calibre so that books will be displayed hyphenated.
Look i have come across some books with bad editing errors, usually they are of the free variety, but nothing major from the bn or kobo. As for hyphens, if that is important to you on all your books, well i guess its not the ereader for you. Again the non bn books you can store would amount to about 500-700. I for one know i wont read that may books in two years time. So its a non issue for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #86
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think we all get that it's not an issue for you. As you can see from a lot of the other posts it is an issue for some other folks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I think we all get that it's not an issue for you. As you can see from a lot of the other posts it is an issue for some other folks.
Well i guess than a kindle and nook are off the table for those people.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #88
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
Oh Fail! I was looking at buying a new Nook this week, but no expandable memory? No, I won't be buying a New model Nook, instead I bought a new ST off ebay. I have lost my old ST and my backup CD is Six months old so I am grieving at the moment. I could cope without the page buttons though I would miss them but no card is just crazy. That's why I bought a Nook in the first place.
Kym
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #89
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Well i guess than a kindle and nook are off the table for those people.
Wrong, regarding the Kindle. Although I curse the fact that it only has 2gb, at least I can fill it with anything I want, not just a minuscule portion of it. I did have a Nook ST for a little while, and it was very nice. I rooted it with Nook Manager and loaded the CARD up with a lot of books. It was perfectly adequate in that respect. If the next Paperwhite model doesn't have increased storage, I won't be getting it. The new Nook has LESS storage (since there is no card), so despite the nice light and slimmer width, I won't be getting it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #90
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
There are things that I want in an e-reader but not all of them are equally important.
The MUST HAVE things are (especially the first three features):

1. possibility to set wide enough margins, especially on 6" reader in landscape
Unfortunately, the margin thing is not to be found anywhere. In practice, I need Cool Reader 3 for that.
On 6" screen I read in landscape only with the width of text as in a regular mass market paperback, therefore margins are needed at least 1 cm on each side. If the line of text is too long, reading is not comfortable enough. If margins are too narrow or the line of text is too short (portrait mode) - not comfortable too.

2. having Amasis font or a possibility to add it.
I tried many many fonts and Amasis stand out for me as the most readable font by far - I can see whole words and not separate letters best with Amasis.
So now I no longer can even think about reading with a different font.

3. To be able to switch off the integrated lighting completely. Or best, not to have one at all.
With PW, you need special tricks or hacks to achieve it. You buy an e-ink screen and it is glowing all the time even at the minimal setting. It is absurd.
I would never ever read on a glowing screen. Again, that's why I buy e-ink - so the screen would not glow. Printed books do not glow in the dark.

4. To be able to have books ordered my way in hierarchical nested folders and not in some stupid collections or shelves requiring Calibre to make them and so inconvenient to use because they are not nested.

5. to have a long (best - unlimited) list of last read books. I like reading many books in parallel.

6. Even if I could live without 4. and 5. and let's say, read only one book (brrr...) I would still need an external card - for dictionaries. Typically I have about 10 GB of dictionaries simultaneously. I like having them even when reading just one book at a time!
Looking up words or phrases is so easy and quick on an e-reader so why not get educated with the help of encyclopedic dictionaries while reading?

7. I need buttons, if not many, how about just two (next page, previous page) or just one: next page ?
I cannot bring myself to touching the screen with my fingers.
I own an Aura HD with excellent screen but it has no buttons - I cannot get used to it. Most likely I will through it away.
An e-reader is not a general purpose tablet, at least the next page button should be always present.

In conclusion: I am very happy with my rooted T2. It has everything I want in an e-reader. Cool Reader 3 ensures that I can have wide margins, any font I want, the structure of books I want, a handy list of recent books, and as a bonus - support for multiple formats.

I would never buy a 6" e-reader that cannot be rooted (or does not have CR natively, etc) or without buttons. Or PW because it is glowing.

But I bought Aura HD just because it is the only reader with 6.8" screen and I don't need landscape with 6.8" - the screen is wide enough for portrait + comfortable enough margins. So I bought it even though it has no buttons. It takes away much of the pleasure of reading, unfortunately. I am still trying to adjust, playing games on Aura HD - it requires touching the screen all the time. I am OK somehow with touching the screen for looking up words in a dictionary, though. So maybe there is hope. But I really hope that other 6.8" readers (with buttons) will appear.
As to other requirements, Aura HD is fine: you can already install Cool Reader on it, you can avoid the slow Kobo book indexing (not needed with CR3 anyway), soon it will support unlimited dictionaries from Cool Reader.
And it has both internal and external micro SD card. So you can replace the internal card with 32 GB one and also have a 32 GB external card if you like.

It seems to me that Nook ST is still one of the best choices - it meets all my requirements.

There was mentioned Nook STR - I never heard of it.
Even the evil Google does not help.
Is it a newer version of Nook ST?

Last edited by parkher; 10-31-2013 at 10:18 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote