Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-10-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Better checkmark recognition for WhisperSync'ed books

Hi,

When I sideload books via USB to my Kindle Paperwhite, then Calibre correctly displays a checkmark to indicate that the book is on my Kindle.

However, when I instead send a Calibre book via WhisperSync, then Calibre does not display a checkmark. Even when the Kindle is mounted via USB.

Please identify non-sideloaded books, so that we can enjoy more complete integration in terms of marking which books are truly on vs. off our devices.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Lightbulb Caching checkmarks when device disconnects

Also, I enjoy the checkmark feature for quickly assessing which of my books are copied onto my ereader device. However, when I disconnect my Kindle from USB, then the checkmarks disappear.

Could there be an option to cache the presence/absence of the book on an external device, and continue to display checkmarks even when the device is not plugged into the computer? That way, we won't have to keep reconnecting the device just to find out which books are loaded.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:52 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
matching is done by title and author for books not sent by calibre. Presumably those are different between your editions. You can right click on any book in the calibre device view to get an option to match it with a book in the main calibre library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would prefer not to have any persistence. If I delete an ebook from my ereader, I want the checkmark to be removed immediately. I do use custom columns to keep track of which ereader books are on.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-10-2023 at 09:00 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post
Also, I enjoy the checkmark feature for quickly assessing which of my books are copied onto my ereader device. However, when I disconnect my Kindle from USB, then the checkmarks disappear.

Could there be an option to cache the presence/absence of the book on an external device, and continue to display checkmarks even when the device is not plugged into the computer? That way, we won't have to keep reconnecting the device just to find out which books are loaded.
You need to make some sort method to document what is on the device.
Tag "OnKindle" is one way
There is a bit of effort to Manage (action chains PI might make this easier)
Device is connected
1) Remove all previous marks (OnKindle)
2) Search ondevice:true, select All (the results)
3) Tap 'E' (metadata editor in bulk mode) Add Tag:OnKindle

The remove step is needed to handle deleted (from device) books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
mcandre
Connoisseur

Thank you for documenting a workaround.

I find that a bit low level, fragile, and easy for a user to messup. Would like a builtin checkbox to toggle enable/disable the necessary steps in a single click.

Tags
kindle, whispersync