Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Kobo Glo Aura fractured Screen

My Kobo Glo, I think Aura first generation booted up with a fractured screen, , areas blank and one kind of striped and one with an old book cover on it. It's never been wet, or dropped..Is this something that flashing from a new image could cure. The way the screen is showing up in sections, I can't go in and do a new person startup. Am hoping there is a way to get a f sd card flash image (think that's what it's called) and start over.
Thanks
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If the screen is showing what looks like a fractured screen it IS damaged; reflashing the SD card will make no difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Only way to fix it is replace screen. Probably not available. Can try selling it for parts. Maybe someone wants the battery? I would take it apart just to see how easy or difficult it is without causing more damage. But how would you know.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I bought another from an ebay seller in Canada.. New in the Box.. I finally managed to get the keyboard to work enough to get my password in for wifi and register. The screen seems to not be calibrated to the keyboard for touch, but everything else is working. I'll try and figure how to open the defunct unit to save the battery, but I'm rather disappointed in Kobo at the moment. Had I to do it over, I would have purchased the Kindle Paperwhite. Kindles never seem to die.. I just don't like their location system with no page numbers.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Had I to do it over, I would have purchased the Kindle Paperwhite. Kindles never seem to die.. I just don't like their location system with no page numbers.
Have you ever carried it in your bag or pocket? Twisting or flexing of your ereader, or something leaning against it while its in your bag can all cause the fragile substrate to crack without it ever having been dropped.

There is nothing to suggest any brand of ereader is more robust than any other. The screens on them all are fragile. If anything, perhaps the Kindle Voyage as it has a glass screen and a more rigid metal body.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I bought another from an ebay seller in Canada.. New in the Box.. I finally managed to get the keyboard to work enough to get my password in for wifi and register. The screen seems to not be calibrated to the keyboard for touch, but everything else is working. I'll try and figure how to open the defunct unit to save the battery, but I'm rather disappointed in Kobo at the moment. Had I to do it over, I would have purchased the Kindle Paperwhite. Kindles never seem to die.. I just don't like their location system with no page numbers.
The Kindle Paperwhite is just as susceptible to have the screen broken as Kobo Readers are. Both Amazon and Kobo use glass backed eInk screens. So buying a Kindle is no better than buying a Kobo. Both can break the same way. I've read plenty of posts of eInk screens breaking including Kindle and Kobo.

So your saying Kindles never die is false. They are no more sturdy than Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, glo