Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Australia's eBook store for the Kobo is at Borders:

http://www.borders.com.au/
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Interesting, as they take credit card charges through PayPal. I would want to check the exchange rate before buying from them, of course. $149 CAD=$168 Ozzie. Not a good deal, for sure as they are charging $199 for the Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Oh Just noticed for the aussies that are after ebooks, http://www.dymocks.com.au has books in epub format. Prices are probably the same as borders, but its always worth having some competition.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Hi SparrowsFoot,

I suspect that what you're finding at Kobo/Borders in Aus is the same as what I have found at Whitcoulls in NZ (they're all owned by the same company).

They are advertising 'over 2 million books'. This is crap.

Currently (as of Sunday), through the Whitcoulls they had about 50,000 books available. (Just a note here ... I'm a bit of a geek, and I added up the totals in all categories in the Whitcoulls app for PC - came to about 51,000.) I got suspicious when they only had 2000 books (total) in their SF/Fantasy category, and only 683 in the Fantasy sub-section. Hell, I've probably got that many fantasy books at home! Maybe they're planning to have that many eventually, but they haven't got there yet. I read somewhere (on this site) that they currently only have books from Penguin and Random House.

I suspect that if you were annoyed enough you could complain to Australia's advertising standards board (or whatever it's called) about the false advertising.

That said, however, this doesn't limit the range of books that you can buy. My personal favourite is BooksOnBoard where there is a large selection, and prices are generally good, but there are some books that they won't sell to us in NZ/Aus. Alternatively you can look at Waterstones in the UK (but prices are generally higher) and there are still some restrictions. There are methods to get around geographic restrictions if you want to ...

Hope this helps,
Karen
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #20
SparrowsFoot
SparrowsFoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Hey Karen!

Thanks so much for the information! I suspected as much, however didn't have your patience to count I'm SUPER new to all this and had not ever heard of those sights, so a HUGE thank you for letting me know about them.

There is still so much I have to learn! I hear people talk about DRM and stripping DRM and I have no idea what that means, or what DRM is, but I'm pretty sure I need to know what that means and how to do it. And I think I'm in the right place to learn all about it.

In the end I decided to refund my pre purchased Kobo and invest a few more dollars in the Sony PRS 600, I feel really good about that decision and can hardly wait till its delivered! I bought it from B&H Video, hopefully it will be here soon and I can have a play around with it and get all sorts of advice from ya'll!

Thanks again, for the heads up on the websites, I'm bookmarking them as I type

Sally
SparrowsFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowsFoot View Post
In the end I decided to refund my pre purchased Kobo and invest a few more dollars in the Sony PRS 600, I feel really good about that decision and can hardly wait till its delivered! I bought it from B&H Video, hopefully it will be here soon and I can have a play around with it and get all sorts of advice from ya'll!
Sally:

Every title you can purchase for the Sony reader will play on the Kobo. In Canada, the Sony PRS 600 is about twice the price of the Kobo (and has more capability than the Kobo). But Kobo's appeal is its very light weight and simple design. For just reading it's just fine -- why pay more?

I'm not sure who started the nonsense about "2 million books" but I strongly suspect Sony's marketing types. As Karen_nz stated, it's a crock. The VAST majority of those "2 million books" are public domain books anyone has access to. They have been scanned and converted to text, without editing, via OCR -- with horrible results. Really, Sony (who continue to make the claim) and others ought to be ashamed of themselves.

While there are variations of titles on a Kobo or a Kindle -- Amazon almost certainly has the richest, broadest content -- there is lots to read on either platform without needing to resort of format conversion.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #22
chlmccann11
chlmccann11 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
I'd advise Australian and New Zealand customers to consider looking around before you return the Kobo. As I mentioned on another discussion here, I learned on Amazon's US web site that while the Kindle is sold to those of us here in Canada, many titles available in the US aren't available as ebooks through Amazon to Canadian customers.

On the same discussion, one American customer was complaining that a ebook available through the Amazon.UK site wasn't available to her because she's American. Different countries have different copyright laws, there are publishing restrictions blah, blah.

The Amazon discussion is here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/di...TxCZPS5FWC2YJX
chlmccann11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, ereader, kobo, koboreader.com, sony 600