Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
mojos
Enthusiast
mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.

Device: iPad 2
Should I get a dedicated eReader?

Hello! I don't know if this thread is posted in the right section, but I'm currently saving up for an eReader. I'm using an iPad right now to read my ebooks and I just wanted to ask you guys if getting an eReader to read my ebooks is a good choice. What do you think are the good points of not using an iPad to read? Thank you in advance for your input.
mojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
For those who enjoying reading out of doors, an e-Ink reader is far superior to any tablet.

The battery lasts much longer, as well.

There are some who say the e-Ink screen causes less eye strain, but I think that's a personal thing.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
An e-ink reader has several advantages to a tablet like the iPad.

It costs less
It weighs less
Battery lasts 3-4 weeks
Better visibility in sunlight
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
How often/much do you read?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
mojos
Enthusiast
mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How often/much do you read?
Hello! I actually read a lot which is why I'm planning on getting an eReader if ever. But I'm just not sure if it's worth it since I have an iPad already.
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
mojos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
An e-ink reader has several advantages to a tablet like the iPad.

It costs less
It weighs less
Battery lasts 3-4 weeks
Better visibility in sunlight
Yes, one good point of getting an ereader is the better reading experience in sunlight since I usually like to read outdoors. May I ask if all ereaders last 3-4 weeks on a single charge? I heard Kobo doesn't last as long. I don't know if that's true though.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
mojos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For those who enjoying reading out of doors, an e-Ink reader is far superior to any tablet.

The battery lasts much longer, as well.

There are some who say the e-Ink screen causes less eye strain, but I think that's a personal thing.
I have tried reading on e-ink and I'd have to agree it causes less eye strain. I'd just like to know though if ereaders such as the Kobo Glo or Kindle Paperwhite do a good job if one is reading outdoors? Thank you!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Reading ebooks is better on an eink screen if it not a pdf file. PDF files don not render very well on an 6 inch screen.

Another thing to consider is where do you intend to buy books. Buying from Amazon limits you to reading on a kindle (unless you illegally remove DRM protection and convert to epub).

If you buy from any store that uses Adobe DRM protection, then your choices of ereader are greater.

The problem is irrelevant if you read non-DRM books. You can easily use the Calibre software to convert between common formats.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
mojos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
Reading ebooks is better on an eink screen if it not a pdf file. PDF files don not render very well on an 6 inch screen.

Another thing to consider is where do you intend to buy books. Buying from Amazon limits you to reading on a kindle (unless you illegally remove DRM protection and convert to epub).

If you buy from any store that uses Adobe DRM protection, then your choices of ereader are greater.

The problem is irrelevant if you read non-DRM books. You can easily use the Calibre software to convert between common formats.

Hello!

Thank you very much for all your help guys! I have finally settled on buying my very first ereader!

I don't read pdf files most of the time. I'm currently buying my ebooks from Kobo since they offer a lot of coupons and I use the Kobo app. However, I don't know if I should get a Kobo though since I have seen a lot of complaints such as bugs and glitches about it. May I ask if which eReader you guys like best? The Kindle or the Kobo?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
If you buy a kindle, you won't be able to buy books from Kobo.

I have a Sony PRS-T1 and am happy with it.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
On warm days I read in our gazebo a lot. I'd never consider taking my iPad, and the glare makes it nearly impossible to read. Another one of my other favorite spots to read is in a chair by the window in our living room. The glare from the window is very distracting on a tablet, and I have to constantly adjust the angle at which I'm holding the device just to be able to see the screen. Again, this is where eInk devices—especially these new front-lit eInk devices—excel. No matter what the current lighting conditions, the light is just right for eInk.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I would get a kindle if I were to get a new device... But I have yet to try anything other than the K4 and PW... both are excellent devices
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojos View Post
Yes, one good point of getting an ereader is the better reading experience in sunlight since I usually like to read outdoors. May I ask if all ereaders last 3-4 weeks on a single charge? I heard Kobo doesn't last as long. I don't know if that's true though.
I've never gone that long on my Sony reader. It really depends on how much you read.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It's not necessarily illegal, depending on where you are and what court's jurisdiction you're under. The matter is still being worked out.

Quote:
If you buy a kindle, you won't be able to buy books from Kobo.
Perhaps more importantly, given prices and selection, if you buy a Kobo, you won't be able to buy books from Amazon.

Of course, if you do choose to strip DRM then you can buy from anywhere you like and read on anything you like.

As for the OP's choice of getting a dedicated ink reader at all, that would have to be your call. Do you like reading on your iPad? Many people do.
Have you tried reading on eink?

My wife gave up her eink reader and happily reads on her LCD tablet and phone now.
I can't stand reading on an LCD for any length of time.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
mojos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It's not necessarily illegal, depending on where you are and what court's jurisdiction you're under. The matter is still being worked out.

Perhaps more importantly, given prices and selection, if you buy a Kobo, you won't be able to buy books from Amazon.

Of course, if you do choose to strip DRM then you can buy from anywhere you like and read on anything you like.

As for the OP's choice of getting a dedicated ink reader at all, that would have to be your call. Do you like reading on your iPad? Many people do.
Have you tried reading on eink?

My wife gave up her eink reader and happily reads on her LCD tablet and phone now.
I can't stand reading on an LCD for any length of time.

ApK
Yes, I have finally considered getting an eReader. The reading outdoors without glare is what sold me plus it's much more light weight than the iPad which is convenient for me to bring around.

Thank you very much for all of your help guys and I know that an eReader would definitely be worth the purchase! Now the only problem is choosing between a Kobo and a Kindle