Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Sideloading and Whispersync

Will files that have been sideloaded to the K3 sync with other devices? I have recently purchased a K3 and I'm not seeing files I sideloaded showing up on my iPod Touch or K4PC. Does this feature only work with content downloaded from Amazon or am I missing something?
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, sync only works with books bought from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Correct. Syncing only works with content purchased from Amazon. It would be cool if someone would develop a Kindle app that would sync all content no matter where it comes from.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks for quick responses! I was afraid that was the case but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting or something. It would be a nice feature but I'm guessing that AMZN probably doesn't think there are that many people sideloading content.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it has more to do with them having access to an exact copy of that same content on their servers, so that they can do the sync (a totally wild guess on my part).
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
mikemc2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think it has more to do with them having access to an exact copy of that same content on their servers, so that they can do the sync (a totally wild guess on my part).
You're probably right, the content would have to first be uploaded to the Amazon servers then downloaded. They wouldn't be wrong in being leery of having things sitting on their servers that may be of questionable legality either.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Actually, you can get non-Amazon purchases to sync (Furthest Point Read only - no notes or bookmarks) between multiple devices, but you have to be willing (and able) to fiddle with the metadata -- and it has to be an ebook that Amazon does sell in order to work.

If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
I keep a copy of all non-amazon content in Calibre as a backup and sync it up as needed. I usually charge from my USB port so it's pretty automatic for me.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
mikemc2
Zealot

"If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices."

Interesting, I think some tinkering may be in order...
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc2
Interesting, I think some tinkering may be in order...
Check out the MobiPerl Tools thread (stickied) down in the Mobi forum for details on how to alter/add EXTH records.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, you can get non-Amazon purchases to sync (Furthest Point Read only - no notes or bookmarks) between multiple devices, but you have to be willing (and able) to fiddle with the metadata -- and it has to be an ebook that Amazon does sell in order to work.

If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices.
So are you're saying that a book I may have purchased from another site ("Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for example purchased from the Sony site) can be synced if I convert it to mobi for my Kindle, as long as I change the metadata values? That would be really groovy, if I understand correctly!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So are you're saying that a book I may have purchased from another site ("Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for example purchased from the Sony site) can be synced if I convert it to mobi for my Kindle, as long as I change the metadata values? That would be really groovy, if I understand correctly!
That is correct. But only the furthest read point.
Unfortunately, calibre doesn't allow you to add (or manipulate) the 113 or the 501 EXTH metadata records. Mobi2mobi is the only tool I've found that will allow you to add the proper records to an ebook that doesn't have them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-27-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

That is groovy! I've only used the Mobi2Mobi GUI. I'll have to do some experimenting.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

The Mobi2Mobi GUI does work to add the EXTH info for 113 and 501. I used it on the January MR selection book club (part of this collection). I'll see how it goes with syncing and report back. Thanks DD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asin.JPG
Views:	1196
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	63659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebok.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	63660   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER.JPG
Views:	713
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	63661  
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

So far, no syncing love. I upgraded my version of K4PC and loaded the book on it. I went to a location near the back of the book and set a bookmark for my furthest page read (so I could find it again). I closed the book and forced a sync with K4PC.

I then loaded the same book file on my K3, forced a "sync and check for new items" and opened the book. It did not open to the page I bookmarked as my furthest page read. While the book was open I forced a "sync to the furthest page read" and the message you see in the image below. I tried this a few times with no luck. Have I missed a step?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59773.gif
Views:	677
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	63672  

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync