Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Kindle name

What do you name your kindle? I give it my phone number so that hopefully if I lose it someone will be honest and call. No guarantees, but it’s the first thing you see in the upper left corner when you open it.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Fire Dragon - Fire HDX
Leatherneck - K3 with leather case
Voyager - Voyage
Space Cadet - Basic 8" that has case featuring space nebulas

I have no special names for the Nooks. Just Nook ST and Nook Glo as other family members only have Kindle devices.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
My old K3 was named Cindy has too many kindles.
The CS rep that registered it took my joke seriously.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
before I ever sell mine, I think I'll name it "Sue"

"But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue".
J Cash
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I used to name them by person like Mom’s Kindle but after my friend lost her kindle I decided to rename both of mine with my phone number. I used 1 then number for one and just area code and number for the other. I have never lost one though.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
you could name them by colour or by cover colour, or for time of day
the "breakfast" kindle - the "bus queue" kindle ... the "one the dog we-ed on" kindle....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
My Kindle is named in the same manner as all of my current and past computing devices. Any device that is a complete "thinking" entity is named for some computer or AI from literature (books, TV, movies,...). I generally prefer to match the computer type with the source when practical (e.g. portable devices like my Kindle are paired with portable AIs or devices, ...). Any other entity with a network presence, including direct connect items that are potentially shared on a network, will also get a name though the naming pattern there is looser (cartoon characters have been recent sources). My wife's naming pattern is quite different.

My Kindle is named Pauline, while my current tablet is Agnes and my big desktop machine is Joe. I'll leave you to work out the sources for the names.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
My Kindle is named in the same manner as all of my current and past computing devices. Any device that is a complete "thinking" entity is named for some computer or AI from literature (books, TV, movies,...). I generally prefer to match the computer type with the source when practical (e.g. portable devices like my Kindle are paired with portable AIs or devices, ...). Any other entity with a network presence, including direct connect items that are potentially shared on a network, will also get a name though the naming pattern there is looser (cartoon characters have been recent sources). My wife's naming pattern is quite different.

My Kindle is named Pauline, while my current tablet is Agnes and my big desktop machine is Joe. I'll leave you to work out the sources for the names.
No Hal?
I name all my small appliances.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #9
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is my Kindle. There are many like it but this one is mine. My Kindle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Kindle is useless. Without my Kindle I am useless....

Sir, the private's Kindle's name is Charlene, sir!
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Having no imagination I just name mine for their model ... Kindle (for the K4NT), Touch, New Touch (for the Kindle, 8th generation), Keyboard, Fire, Blackberry. I also currently have a Touch2 and a Touch3, but at least one of these is probably going to go my brother's family.

EDIT: And a couple of the old phones are still registered. Admiral (Motorola Admiral) and Moto X (Motorola X2). When I turn these on (not very often) I can still read on them. Amazon does not forget.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-13-2017 at 11:10 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No Hal?
I name all my small appliances.
No, I've yet to use Hal. Each name is used only once, for only one device. It did, though, use Sal, who was Hal's twin "sister". I have a habit of using more obscure, less mainstream name references; Shalmaneser, Albert, Olivaw, ...)

The naming scheme goes back well over 30 years and includes a large number of devices. It began with Mycroft, which was the 500th TRS-80 Color Computer made.

** Correction (I'm an old fart and memory isn't as good anymore... **
I did use Hal. I was an HP 320 LX Windows-CE based palmtop that was my first device used primarily for ebooks. It was retired and replaced by a Fujitsu Win-98 sub-notebook that was named Sal. I don't, at the present, remember the name of the notebook that had been Hal's predecessor.

Last edited by dwig; 12-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
A bit OT, but when my teenage son built a server for our family's backups, he christened it Greedo, having just read Cory Doctorow's "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth."
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
What I’ve used so far -

K3 - Nancy Drew
This was my 1st Kindle & the Nancy Drew books started my lust for books & reading. Seemed apropos!

Kindle Voyage - Bon Voyage
Fairly obvious. For me reading is an adventure, just like traveling.

Kindle Oasis 2 - My Sanctuary
Sanctuary is synonymous with Oasis.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
janrey
Groupie

All cool names. Honestly, I never gave a thought to naming, I owned several and just named them the people I gave them to so that I could send books to, especially my elderly mother at the time. I had them all share my account and I would purchase the books. Occasionally my mom would click on one of the ads to read what a book was about and place an order for it even though she didn't want it. I would get emails and call her and ask if she wanted that book and she would have no clue as to how it happened. Love Amazon and it's ability to return easily.