Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
eReader output (pdb) has too much space on my iPhone

I usually convert my document into word or rtf; then use word2pml macro and Dropbook to create eReader (pdb) ebook for my eReader app on iPhone. The layout and spacing between paragraph look nice and tight. However, it involves too many steps to accomplish one ebook conversion.

I just learned that Calibre can convert document to eReader format in one step. So I tried converting the same document into eReader. It is very convenient, excellent software!; but when displayed in eReader on my iPhone, every paragraph has about half a screen blank in-between. Is there anyway to make it better?

Thanks
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Open a ticket and either attach your input and output files or email them to me at john at nachtimwald.com . eReader output it supposed to put a single blank line between paragraphs so I want to see if your input or conversion settings are doing something to increase this.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

I haven't sent the files yet, just show the result here.

The right page is original ePUB ebook displayed from Calibre (Sherlock Holmes Omnibus).

The left page is eReader (pdb) converted from the above ePUB by Calibre v0.6.18, displayed from desktop eReader software.

You can see the large space between each paragraph. I tried using several profiles for conversion, but they gave more or less the same result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre_eReader_vs_ePUB.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	38036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre_eReader_vs_ePUB2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	38037  

Last edited by bthoven; 10-26-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: add more photos
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been looking into this issue and I have committed a fix for it. I don't think it made it into 0.6.19 but it will be in 0.6.20. However, I would still like to see the file to verify that the issue is fully fixed.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I have been looking into this issue and I have committed a fix for it. I don't think it made it into 0.6.19 but it will be in 0.6.20. However, I would still like to see the file to verify that the issue is fully fixed.
Just test the 0.6.19, it also produces the same result. So thanks a lot for committing to fix this. I rely on eReader (pdb) on my iPhone because it is the only ereader software which supports offline dictionary lookup.

I really like Stanza+Calibre. Only if Stanza supports inbook-offline dictionary lookup, it would be the best ebook reader on iPHone.

Although Calibre is a very good software, I found it is so resource hogged. I always found the Calibre-parallel process(es) using memory up to almost 1GB and CPU over 90% (even set as Low priority). It would be perfect if this could be solved too.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Hi,

I've just opened a new ticket #3878 with the two files for your investigation.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
user_none

Okay. It is fixed. Expect it to work correctly in the next release.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Okay. It is fixed. Expect it to work correctly in the next release.
Wow...that's fast. Thanks a lot.

I've just try mobidedrm on my mobi ebooks. Can't wait to covert them to eReader with the next release.

Once released, I'll try and post the result again.