Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #91
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have tried that and could not get it to work with the Ezreader Basic.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #92
Joe999
Joe999 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I know you can hold the PAge Forward button to jump 10 pages.

You 'might' be able to go from page 1, hit "Prev Page" button and go the the last page, but I don't have my PEZ to check.
Thanks! Holding down the button did work. Guess i should have read the instructions better.
Joe999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #93
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Smile Multi level headers

I found my favorite format, easily made with my software, is a pdf published by my WordPerfect with 4x6 page size and 14 point text.

Anyway, in my WordPerfect, I use the "Headings" which provide the "links" when I "publish" the pdf with the proper settings.

Well, I was trying multi level headings, Heading 1 for the book title and Chapters, and I decided to try Heading 2 for some subunits. When I publshed the document to pdf and read it on my PEZ I was pleasantly surprised.

On the "Catalog" page, the Heading 1 shows up with an icon beside it. When I choose that level, the subheading then open up, like the + and - in the folder options in Windows. When I choose again, the subheadings close up. I'll get some pictures and annotate here.

AJ

I'm going to copy this thread to the main section for comments. I don't want to start comments in this "enhancement" thread.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #94
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I would like to see (not a must but would be nice) with the Pocket Pro is under the TTS function be able to (a) adjust the volume without the need for using the supplied headphones with the volume adjuster, like under the MP3 player - allow me essentially to use any pair I own, and (b) with TTS be able to pause/continue the reading. Currently the only real way to pause is to stop the TTS and then play it again (where is starts from the begining of the current page).

As I said, nice to haves, not need to haves.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #95
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Fullscreen graphic for "keyboard locked" mode

The START-UP and SHUT-DOWN graphics can be changed by the user (Jinke provides a program for the EZ-Reader Basic called "LogoMaker" which hasn't yet been updated for the Pocket Pro, but I've created a similar program for the Pocket Pro, which is available in another thread about "customizing your Pocket Pro").

What would be even MORE useful is, when the keyboard is locked, to display another fullscreen graphic, and make THAT fullscreen graphic ALSO customizable by the user. That screen will be showing most of the time that the reader isn't being used, and it can then be modified to contain the owner's name, address, phone#, email address, offer of reward for its return, or whatever you want to place on there. That way if it's lost, as soon as someone picks it up, they'll know who it belongs to.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #96
greglim
greglim began at the beginning.

Device: boyue t80s, kindle keyboard
ext3 support!

Hi all.

I would really like to see ext3 filesystem support in the next firmware release. Since the device already runs Linux, this should not be too hard. If the v5 devkit was somewhere I could find it, I could probably do it myself.

Why ext3 instead of FAT32 ?
FAT32 wastes huge amounts of space on larger SD cards. If you think about wasting as much as 1G of space on an 8G card(if many of your ebooks are plaintext), you really begin to think you might want ext3.

-Greg

update: I actually did try an ext2/3 formatted SD card in there. No good. The EZ Reader saw that there was an SD card inserted, but could not see files on it.

Last edited by greglim; 10-12-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: update
greglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #97
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Another example of "proper translations" to English (and other languages)... In ePub files, if you set bookmarks, and then hold down the 6 button to bring up the list of bookmarks, it lists the bookmark pages as "4 Page" instead of the more grammatically correct (for English) "Page 4".
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #98
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post

For Pocket Pro ONLY:
PP 1) [Griffonwing] OPTION to use the TOGGLE (thumb wheel) as the hyperlink and/or dictionary access.
PP 2) I'd modify Griffonwing's request to simply make the toggle up/down/push-in and the left-hand next/prev buttons FULLY programmable, with a list of functions available to be assigned. That way a user could, if they wanted, reverse the left-hand buttons so the LOWER button was "next page", or if they never use the left-hand buttons could put other functions on there. A partial list of mappable functions would include, NextPage, PreviousPage, Menu/OK, Exit/Cancel, Zoom, SelectFont, SetBookmark, Goto Hyperlink, Access Dictionary, etc.
The entire compiled list is looking really good! I would like to add my support in requesting a dictionary.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #99
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
If I've missed this in other posts, my apologies. I did not find it.
The support for HTML files, particularly with respect to available font sizes is terrible. On my PP, there are only two sizes -- the first is so tiny as to be unreadable, and the second is a very large font in landscape mode. Can HTML support be improved?
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #100
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
To Robert B.

Please ask the development team to create the firmware in zip format. It is smaller in size and windows can extract it natively.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #101
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Please ask the development team to create the firmware in zip format. It is smaller in size and windows can extract it natively.

Chuck
Chuck,

I ran into the same problem and read somewhere here about 7-Zip, a free program that handles rar files.

You can download it from here http://www.7-zip.org/
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #102
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Chuck,

I ran into the same problem and read somewhere here about 7-Zip, a free program that handles rar files.

Zip is still more standard. This was the first software update that seen that used rar and I'm in the software business.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #103
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Chuck,

Our point is that you should not have to install any other program to update your PEz or load it with books.

You are free always free to use your favorite tools if you wish.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #104
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Dictionary lookup inside the book, please
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #105
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Our point is that you should not have to install any other program to update your PEz or load it with books.

You are free always free to use your favorite tools if you wish.
I agree with you - I guess I just wasn't clear with my thoughts (that happens with us old people)..

Since Astak does not use the ZIP format, they should at least provide a link to the free application.

I think they should also make the updates availabe in the zip format.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote