Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
silverfish
silverfish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Namaste

Got my PRS-505 (Gray) a few weeks ago and have been quite contented with the purchase. Among my list of unread books, one was Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. I was e-reading today, when I thought of looking up an epub version of SICP, since the authors had made the html version of the book available for download. A quick search, and I reach here, which in hindsight seems to be a bad decision. I wanted to keep only two books on the reader - "I am that" and SICP. A few hours on this site, and now I am going crazy with the downloads. And look at this, I registered :O and now I am introducing myself! Why oh why, did you create this forum and this site and allow people to rediscover the conversations that have been bound forever in the dead trees in an entirely new way? Things will never be the same again...

Not one for fiction, I have been gleefully downloading the books Patricia has been hand-creating and sharing. Patricia - a huge thanks and appreciation for all your hardwork.

To all the others, thanks for reading this.

Namaste,
Silverfish
silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread.

Mobileread is a delightful paradox. It greatly increases the number of books easily available to you, and at the same time cuts down on the amount of time you spend reading them...

An interesting choice of screen name. Do you also "inhabit dry papery areas such as old books and newspaper stacks"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Got my PRS-505 (Gray) a few weeks ago and have been quite contented with the purchase. Among my list of unread books, one was Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. I was e-reading today, when I thought of looking up an epub version of SICP, since the authors had made the html version of the book available for download. A quick search, and I reach here, which in hindsight seems to be a bad decision. I wanted to keep only two books on the reader - "I am that" and SICP. A few hours on this site, and now I am going crazy with the downloads. And look at this, I registered :O and now I am introducing myself! Why oh why, did you create this forum and this site and allow people to rediscover the conversations that have been bound forever in the dead trees in an entirely new way? Things will never be the same again...

Not one for fiction, I have been gleefully downloading the books Patricia has been hand-creating and sharing. Patricia - a huge thanks and appreciation for all your hardwork.

To all the others, thanks for reading this.

Namaste,
Silverfish
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
tee hee ! welcome to the madness, silverfish. pdurrant speaks the truth. i'm afraid you'll find there is no esape from mobileread, and resistance is futile. nonetheless, since i've no doubt you'll enjoy your time here, learn a lot, and find lots of wonderful books to read (as you already have, i see) (not that you'll have any time to read them, of course, since you'll spend all your time on the forum ) and also as we're all trapped here with you, i won't offer you too much sympathy for your plight.

don't hesitate to ask any questions ; you'll find this place is populated with immensely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people ! i would point you in the direction of the ebooks download section but i see you've found it without needing any help. happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
silverfish

Thanks pdurrant for the welcome.

I agree with your statement about MR being a paradox. One of the reasons I wanted to have only 2 books was to prevent myself from becoming a hoarder. And, that's precisely what i have become when it came to book purchases. I have books lying around everywhere, waiting to be read. And, it pains me to see the paper turning yellow - of books, which I still haven't read!

I love the smell of the glue in the new books, and sometimes go into book stores to take a lung-load whiff of the smell. And, old paper, my=my, I can melt away with an old book in my hands. The delicate feel of yellowing paper and the smell of aging paper is simply fabulous. I do have an affinity for reading any and all printed material, however of late, have not been getting enough time to do any reading.
Abt the nick, was surprised to see silverfish was available. Poor, lucky and cursed creatures, they go through books all the while not realising their value.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi silverfish and welcome to eternal addiction, er, I mean MobileRead.

Oh, and BTW, you might as well start thinking of Patricia as your pusher. Right after I joined, I sent her an email asking why 'Under Milkwood' by Dillon Thomas wasn't available. Thirty minutes later it was. And I guess I don't need to tell you how much time I've spent reading and re-reading that masterpiece when I should be doing something else. It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, ooops, where was I? Oh yeah, welcome to the madness

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-11-2009 at 09:27 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
One of the reasons I wanted to have only 2 books was to prevent myself from becoming a hoarder. And, that's precisely what i have become when it came to book purchases. I have books lying around everywhere, waiting to be read. And, it pains me to see the paper turning yellow - of books, which I still haven't read!
The one really big advantage of ebooks is that they don't clutter up your living space while waiting to be read. But they do haunt your computer and ebook reader -- "read me next - you bought me years ago!"

My TBR folder currently holds 266 ebooks. Nearly two years worth of reading, and that's not counting the 300+ classics downloaded from here. Although I have read quite a few of those 300. But then again, lots of them are anthologies.

And I have to admit that my TBR folder doesn't include quite a few ebooks bought at fictionwise in recent sales and not yet downloaded....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Welcome! You will find a LOT of hoarders here on MR. And enablers.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum Silverfish, and thank you for the kind words. We're glad that you found your way here and took the trouble to register.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, silverfish!

We are so glad you found the forum. The wonderful thing about MR is that no matter what questions you might have about readers and ebook reading, you will find a sympathetic ear here and tons of advice. Enjoy!

Happy reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello silverfish, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome white2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	32256 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
silverfish

First, apologies for my absence. Oblivious to the world's rotation, I was running in my own Hamster Wheel and failed to notice the passage of precious moments...

Needless to say, logging in back confirms the great vibes that this group exudes. I am thrilled to accept the warm welcomes from zelda_pinwheel, kazbates, Lady Blue, Patricia, hnoto, pdurrant and cassidym.

If I may, let me applaud you for taking time and making new-comers feel warm, wanted and appreciated

The silverfish has been quite inactive lately, chewing on mundane work related stuff that generates social barter lubricant (read money), however viscous it is, and hence is thirsting for the lofty heights that a good read can take it to.

Hope and wish that all of you have had better conversations of the paper kind the past few days than yours truly.

Once again, thanks for the welcome,
Silverfish
Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #12
ccpraveen
Site: tinyurl.com/bukworm
ccpraveen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle, Bluefire Reader
Welcome to the forum once again, Silverfish.

Not that I am anymore the wiser than you are here, I only joined yesterday, which is to say a good ten days after you did. I just wished to express my warm and generous goodwill towards you, both as a voracious reader which shows in the ways you communicate, and as a fellow national. I am from your own country, only a lot more to the south. And yet to have a device of my own.

Warm regards once again

ccpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote