Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
sarchar
sarchar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
"Unable to detect PRS505 disk drive" in Linux

I've go the latest calibre -- 0.4.130

I'm on Linux 2.6.26 running debian unstable. I figured hal would be set up correct, and hal-devices output is attached. I'm getting the following output when running calibre:

cmason@aria:~$ calibre

link hasn't been detected!

link hasn't been detected!

Unable to open device

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 59, in detect_device

File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 236, in open

File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 195, in open_linux

DeviceError: Unable to detect the PRS505 disk drive. Try rebooting.

Looks like a permission error...but not sure where to go from here. Suggestions? Help? Much appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information.
Attached Files
File Type: txt out.txt (107.9 KB, 332 views)
sarchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
According to your lshal output the Reader's main memory is not being detected in linux. Cain you access the main memory on another compter/in windows?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
sarchar

We just tried this morning -- the Sony e-Book Library software that comes with the PRS-505 works on Windows. We can successfully transfer books, images, etc., to the device.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does calibre work in windows?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
sarchar

I plugged the reader into a different USB port on the Linux box, and calibre worked right up. Do you know if there's incompatability problems with USB 1.1 vs 2.0?
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There shouldn't be. calibre really works with the device as a mass storage device.