Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Thomas M. Disch RIP

Ellen Datlow reported in her LiveJournal that author Thomas Disch committed suicide in July 4th. He'd been depressed over the death of his long time partner, concerned over attempts to evict him from his rent controlled apartment, and in failing health making it difficult to get around, but this is still tragic news.

I loved his Prisoner tie-in novel, was awestruck by _Camp Concentration_ and _334_, and liked most of the other stuff I encountered by him.

He was also responsible for _The Brave Little Toaster_.

This has not been a good time for folks in the SF genre.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
how sad
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
RIP

How sad to have absolutely nothing to live for. Hope his spirit soars.......
I had no clue he did the Brave Little Toaster. I spent many an hour watching the movie on the Disney channel with my oldest granddaughter, now 19........wonderful movie.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
How sad to have absolutely nothing to live for. Hope his spirit soars.......
I had no clue he did the Brave Little Toaster. I spent many an hour watching the movie on the Disney channel with my oldest granddaughter, now 19........wonderful movie.
He also did a sequel called "The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars". The movie was wonderful. I was tickled by the radio that pulled in broadcasts from many years in the past.

The odd thing was that he had new work in the pipeline, and people I know who knew him said he seemed to be in better spirits recently and enthusiastic about the projects he was working on. The apparent dramatic reversal of his spirits was a shock.
______
Dennis
Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
He also did a sequel called "The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars". The movie was wonderful. I was tickled by the radio that pulled in broadcasts from many years in the past.

The odd thing was that he had new work in the pipeline, and people I know who knew him said he seemed to be in better spirits recently and enthusiastic about the projects he was working on. The apparent dramatic reversal of his spirits was a shock.
______
Dennis
It didn't say HOW he died..(nor do I care to know).....but
if it were an overdose, it could have been accidental?
Now, I remember a friend I had years and years ago. He lost his wife. Was devastated. Then, suddenly, he seemed to cheer up. We all thought he was getting on with his life. He was making plans, and came over one day to give us something, I forget what. He was in great spirits. Then he went home, and the next day committed suicide. I often wondered if his uplift in spirits wasn't due to the fact that he had made his peace with himself and his choice. Survivors will never understand the depth of despair that goes thru the minds of those who take their own lives....we just live with the guilt, and the loss. Sad.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
It didn't say HOW he died..(nor do I care to know).....but if it were an overdose, it could have been accidental?
Possible but unlikely. He'd lost his long time partner. His second home had been destroyed in a flood. The institution that owned the building he lived in was trying to get rid of him. His health was declining, and simply walking to get groceries was a painful act.

I suspect he just decided he didn't want to fight any more.

Quote:
Now, I remember a friend I had years and years ago. He lost his wife. Was devastated. Then, suddenly, he seemed to cheer up. We all thought he was getting on with his life. He was making plans, and came over one day to give us something, I forget what. He was in great spirits. Then he went home, and the next day committed suicide. I often wondered if his uplift in spirits wasn't due to the fact that he had made his peace with himself and his choice. Survivors will never understand the depth of despair that goes thru the minds of those who take their own lives....we just live with the guilt, and the loss. Sad.
My reference for going gracefully was a Japanese fellow named J. Koizumi.He was a 7th degree black belt in Judo, and introduced the sport to Britain, founding the British Judo Federation.

When his health started to decline, he settled his affairs, showered, shaved, dressing in his best suit, put his head in the oven, and turned on the gas. He left a note explaining that he didn't want to be a burden on anyone, and his friends would understand. He'd lived a long and full life, and accomplished what he'd set out to do. He was content.

We don't get a choice about coming into the world, but we do have a choice about leaving it.

I knew one friend who committed suicide, and I understood the depths of despair. He'd gotten addicted to cocaine, and money that should have done things like pay the rent on the apartment he shared with his wife went up his nose. When it all blew up in his face, he killed himself. I suspect he just couldn't face the people he knew, and found death preferable to that level of shame.

We were all saddened, and there was some guilt as well: he'd had previous problems with alcohol, and I think various folks felt they should have noticed there was something wrong. The tragedy in so many cases is the inability of the suicide to admit they have problems to people who would be happy to help them. Feelings of worthlessness are pernicious and corrosive.
______
Dennis