Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
GKj
GKj began at the beginning.

Device: Onix I62HD
Non Kindle ebook

I've purchased an eBook with Amazon and it was delivered to something they call "Cloud Reader". I would like to transfer and read this book on my eBook device (as whatever Epub, pdf or other format) but i can't find this file I bought.
Any ideas?
GKj
GKj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is scarcely "News", so I'm rather mystified why you thought it would be a good idea to post it in the News forum. Moved to the Kindle forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKj View Post
Any ideas?
GKj
!. Yes, next time think about what you are doing when you purchase a book.

2. You can read the book on your web browser using the online Cloud Reader app.

3. You can download the book to your Kindle for PC program, and it will then be on your own computer.

4. If the book is not encrypted with DRM you can use Calibre to convert it to whatever format your reading device needs.

5. If the book is encrypted with DRM you will have to learn how to decrypt the book or go back to items 1-3.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
1. Go to the Amazon site, and log in with your account credentials.

2. Follow the links to the "Manage Your Kindle" area.

3. You should see a list of the books you've purchased. At the right-hand end of each item, click the Actions button, then select "Deliver to my ...".

3. In the pop-up window, select the device that you wish to use to read the book (such as a physical Kindle); or, select the option to download to the PC for transfer via USB.

4. If you choose the USB option, refer to the instructions in the Kindle manual for copying the book from your computer to the device. You would normally only need to do this if the device cannot connect to Amazon for any reason.

If you want to convert the book to a different format (you mentioned ePub), you will have to remove the DRM (if any). I understand that it's against forum policy to give advice on this point, but no doubt a bit of research will get you the answer.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
GKj
GKj began at the beginning.

Device: Onix I62HD
Thanks Mike for your detailed comment. I did try downloading it the way you suggested before posting here but there was no "transfer via USB" option there.
Any way, I've returned the book to amazon and am looking for it in other more friendly stores.
GKj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Some books are only available for the Cloud Reader. But even if you "downloaded" it for offline reading... there is no "file" you could copy to another device (even if it were drm-free). Offline Cloud Reader books are all part of an encrypted sqlite database on your computer.

Returning it was probably your best option. I don't buy ebooks that aren't offered in a common, easily-manipulateable format.

Always know what you're buying beforehand.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-28-2012 at 06:57 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKj View Post
Thanks Mike for your detailed comment. I did try downloading it the way you suggested before posting here but there was no "transfer via USB" option there.
Any way, I've returned the book to amazon and am looking for it in other more friendly stores.
There will only be a "Transfer via USB" if you have a physical device registered to transfer it to.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Returning it was probably your best option. I don't buy ebooks that aren't offered in a common, easily-manipulateable format.
An alternative would have been to install "Kindle for PC", download it there, copy to Calibre, and convert to ePub.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An alternative would have been to install "Kindle for PC", download it there, copy to Calibre, and convert to ePub.
If it's available, yes. But as I mentioned above, I've seen some ebooks that are not available for the kindle apps. And if you have no compatible device... then the only available option is the Cloud Reader (or an alternate bookstore). It seemed to me that that was the situation the OP was in.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If it's available, yes. But as I mentioned above, I've seen some ebooks that are not available for the kindle apps. And if you have no compatible device... then the only available option is the Cloud Reader (or an alternate bookstore). It seemed to me that that was the situation the OP was in.
No, I think that the reason the OP had it delivered to the Cloud Reader is simply that he or she didn't have any Kindle device or app registered, so the Cloud Reader was all that was available to send it to.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Could be I misinterpreted. Either way, I stand by my assertion that there are kindle books out there that are _only_ available via Cloud Reader. They simply can't be downloaded to the kindle app. In which case, it's just not possible to format shift them (by all the usual methods, anyway).
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Could be I misinterpreted. Either way, I stand by my assertion that there are kindle books out there that are _only_ available via Cloud Reader. They simply can't be downloaded to the kindle app. In which case, it's just not possible to format shift them (by all the usual methods, anyway).
Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you about that .
Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I see. Well who wants to disagree with me then?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Wait...there are e-books for sale on Amazon that can't even be downloaded to a physical Kindle device? I knew that there were some that couldn't be downloaded to the apps, but they can't even be downloaded to a device??

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are books (with "enhanced content") that can only be used on the tablet apps (iOS, Android). I haven't personally encountered any which are only for the Cloud Reader; perhaps DD could give us an example?