Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #181
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I seriously doubt the iPad mini will be discounted on Friday.

I have no trouble reading on the mini, but others who may or may not have used the device have complained about the resolution. I wouldn't recommend it for just reading though, my e-ink Kindle Keyboard is still my preferred eReader.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #182
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I doubt that the iPad Mini will be discounted on Friday, too. Apple is pretty notorious for NOT discounting any of their items until a newer version is released and I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Right now, I use my iPhone 4S for reading and I've asked Santa for a white Mini for Christmas... and I've been a very very very good girl... Honest!!! Hey... Stop laughing!

Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #183
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
For a basic e-ink reader, I really like my basic Kindle ($69 black). It has a very sharp text and an excellent e-reader. For night time reading, I use my iPad mini. It's also my go to tablet for traveling.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #184
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not familiar with this source so I do not know their track record but I definitely enjoyed this read:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #185
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Friday there will be a big sale on these, so I urgently need to know if the lower-resolution screen is a problem for reading with the Kindle app. Can someone with experience in reading on the iPad mini please comment on this? I was disappointed with the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire HD. I should mention I have older eyes re: lighting.
FYI, Apple is not big on Black Friday Sales, they never have been, and all retailers have to follow their pricing. The most you get is maybe $20-30 off. And they're pretty much sold out everywhere.

I enjoy reading on mine too. Although if you don't like the HD, I don't know...
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #186
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
From the article in post 184:

Quote:
But here’s the thing - I don’t consider the iPad mini a competitor to the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7, to me, is what I buy if I’m in the market for a $199 tablet or I want a 7” Android device.
LOL

Quote:
Consider it like the Mini Cooper equivalent in the tablet world - a premium experience offered at a very attainable (if not particularly value-oriented) price point.
Good grief! The only thing premium about it is the price. The Nexus 7 has better specs.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #187
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Friday there will be a big sale on these, so I urgently need to know if the lower-resolution screen is a problem for reading with the Kindle app. Can someone with experience in reading on the iPad mini please comment on this? I was disappointed with the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire HD. I should mention I have older eyes re: lighting.
The only way to know for sure would be for you to go look at a mini in person. Everyone's eyesight is different. In specs the iPad3 with Retina screen at 268 ppi has a higher resolution than the Fire HD at 216 ppi. But I have both and for reading purposes I prefer the Fire HD screen. The iPad mini has a very low resolution at 162 ppi, but only a personal trial will tell you for sure if it is good enough for your eyes.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #188
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Good grief! The only thing premium about it is the price. The Nexus 7 has better specs.
That is why I got the Nexus 7. It is terrific for reading. However, I do fully expect to get a Mini when/if it has a retina screen. I love, love, love my iPad 3 but not for serious reading.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #189
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
From the article in post 184:

LOL

Logic would assume that specs point to the better device. Real world experience proves that great specs don't always make a good device. Tablet forums are filled with folks who fail to grasp this concept and tout 'power' devices which barely make the grade in overall usability and end-user satisfaction.

A great computer salesman (of which there are very few) is one who overlooks his own needs and preferences and analyzes the special needs of his customer, thus delivering a product which they personally can use... even if it's not the highest spec'd powerhouse of the bunch.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #190
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Quote:
What good are specs if the device doesn't run the apps I might want? I did research a Nexus 7 because I didn't want to spend the extra unnecessarily. Whilst I found a lot of apps did have android equivalents there were some gaps I couldn't get round. There's a lot of value in having a good app ecosystem.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #191
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Unrelated: are you a Tove Jansson fan? If so, what would you recommend of his?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #192
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
What good are specs if the device doesn't run the apps I might want? I did research a Nexus 7 because I didn't want to spend the extra unnecessarily. Whilst I found a lot of apps did have android equivalents there were some gaps I couldn't get round. There's a lot of value in having a good app ecosystem.
That is why you won't see Apple devices significantly discounted. Those who can afford the superior ecosystem will pay for it.

That said, I'm rooting for Android and Microsoft for those who can't and to provide competitive benefits for everyone. I'm sorry that HP helped kill the Palm ecosystem. The webOS was excellent.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #193
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
That is why you won't see Apple devices significantly discounted. Those who can afford the superior ecosystem will pay for it.

That said, I'm rooting for Android and Microsoft for those who can't and to provide competitive benefits for everyone. I'm sorry that HP helped kill the Palm ecosystem. The webOS was excellent.
Apple need Android as Microsoft need Apple and so on. All these tech companies need someone to give them a kick in the bum. Take the lack of copy/paste on the original iPhone, that was just stupid.

My opinion of webOS is coloured slightly by having to use an original Pre as my work phone. It was really bad, I think it had more to do with the hardware not being fast enough though.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote