Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #46
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I am seriously surprised nobody's yet mentioned the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern. It's a really amazing series, and manages to transcend the "men's adventure" stuff it starts out as into honest-to-gawd science-fictional territory. Now, granted, the politics of the author are somewhat rightist or libertarianish and they show through in his writing, but the story is compelling enough that it's forgivable for the most part.

Sadly, I can't find anywhere they are currently legitimately available as e-books. I snapped them all up when eReader was selling them (back when it called itself Peanut Press) but the only stuff that comes up on Google right now is torrents.
Ahern is so far to the right
that he can see hitler on the left
The books are a glorification of weapons and violence and badly written.

A typical opening scene from the books would be something like this:

John Rourke pulled up the zipper on the fly of his Levis with his right hand,
his left moving across his body plane to the Detonics stainless under his right
armpit in the double Alessi rig, his fingers knotting around the black checkered
rubber Pachmayr grips, his left thumb poised to cock the .45 as soon as it
cleared the leather. He gave the pistol a short, firm tug, hearing the speed
break through the trigger guard unsnap. His thumb jerked back the hammer.
etc.etc. etc.

I most definitely would not recommend these books to anyone
it might give science fiction a bad name
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
Well,Hodgsons night land is a very interesting,if somewhat LONG and a tad bit tedious fantastic book of a post apocalyptic sort.
I agree with you (perhaps for the first time, Lobolover ).

"The Night Land" is an incredible book, couched within the framework of an apocalyptic world and written in an artfully archaic style. It's compelling reading (for me, anyway); I've read it three times and have thoroughly enjoyed each read. (I must add that it strikes me more as a horror novel. It's style and length prohibits easy consumption. It's available here on MobileRead, if you care to see how it 'reads.')

William Hope Hodgson was a master of horror and a very literary writer. Much of horror fiction (in my opinion), is potboiler fiction -- a good read and entertaining, but with not much more beyond a surface gloss.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #48
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Depending on just how far post-apocalypse you're talking about, You might try the John Ringo series that starts with "There Will Be Dragons" from Baen Books. Sort of a combo of "Everything falls" with "technology might as well be magic".

And you're in luck, it's in the Baen Free Library. The rest of the series will cost some money, though.
I'll second this recommendation and add that the whole series can be found for FREE:
"There Will be Dragons" & "Emerald Sea" are in the Baen Free Library and "Against the Tide" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" (along with the first two books) are on Baen CD 11-Unto the Breach and can be found here: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
vsalvaggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #49
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I am seriously surprised nobody's yet mentioned the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern. It's a really amazing series, and manages to transcend the "men's adventure" stuff it starts out as into honest-to-gawd science-fictional territory. Now, granted, the politics of the author are somewhat rightist or libertarianish and they show through in his writing, but the story is compelling enough that it's forgivable for the most part.

Sadly, I can't find anywhere they are currently legitimately available as e-books. I snapped them all up when eReader was selling them (back when it called itself Peanut Press) but the only stuff that comes up on Google right now is torrents.
Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds interesting to anyone who is familiar with weapons. I enjoy fiction from either side of the aisle (left or right) and it sounds like at least the writer at least has some factual knowledge of how pistol's work. So many hollywood "type" writers obviously don't know their subject matter, and glaring errors show up in their shootem- ups.
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #50
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinaryuser View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds interesting to anyone who is familiar with weapons. I enjoy fiction from either side of the aisle (left or right) and it sounds like at least the writer at least has some factual knowledge of how pistol's work. So many hollywood "type" writers obviously don't know their subject matter, and glaring errors show up in their shootem- ups.
Yeah, you could say that. I'm particularly amused that he eventually served as the President of Detonics, the firearms company whose guns his protagonist carried. Reminds me of the old Remington ads with Victor Kiam, "I liked it so much, I bought the company."
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #51
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
Ahern is so far to the right
that he can see hitler on the left
That wouldn't be very hard. Hitler was the leader of a fairly liberal party, after all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #52
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The Postman, by David Brin (or at least the portion that appeared in Asimov's in 1982). Except that it's apparently not available as a commercial ebook.

Anyone know when Bantam might really get into ebooks, not just re-publish classics? Looks like they're part of Random House, which does seem to at least acknowledge the existance of ebooks on their website....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #53
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That wouldn't be very hard. Hitler was the leader of a fairly liberal party, after all.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #54
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
No one has reccomended "the fall" Crazy!

here it is a great book this only read the first in the series so far.

Every coin has two sides. As a young boy, Mewth learned he was destined for great acts - a child of God, but would he be called upon to demonstrate God's mercy or wrath? Some forty years later, on the brink of World War III in the Middle East, a resigned Mewth realizes the hand he's been dealt. Thousands of miles away, in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, the coin is flipped. Phoenix, a young man prophesized to be the second coming, has been locked away and kept a secret from the world. As the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse sweep across the Earth, they bring terrible destruction and a transformation no holy book could have predicted. Phoenix, only just discovering the world he must save, becomes the leader of humanity. He and his new friends, the survivors, must usher in a new era of life on Earth, or let it succumb to God's End.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...hael%20McBride
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #55
izmi
A little bit crazy.
izmi began at the beginning.

Device: Asus F80S.
I am surprised nobody has suggested it. It's a sci-fi classic and a must-read for everybody. The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham. It's quite old, but has aged amazingly, and doesn't seem overly out of touch with today.

Also, if you like post-apocalytpic, you might aslo want to try dystopian literature. I love both genres, and now officially love this thread, as it's hard to find good p-a literature.
izmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #56
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Try the Vampire Earth series, by E. E. Knight
BTW, don't let the "vampire" word misguide you. It's a very good series. Anyone read it here?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #57
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I really enjoyed Parable of the Sower and the trilogy Lilith's Brood (its original title was Xenogenesis), both by Octavia E. Butler, but I can't find digital versions.

Parable of the Sower takes place in the immediate future, in a California whose economy is devastated by global warming (water is so expensive that being dirty becomes fashionable). Lilith's Brood takes place after a nuclear war; a mysterious race of aliens help the few survivors to rebuild their lives... but according to those aliens' rules.
Check out fictionwise for Liliths Brood, I know for sure they have it there in ebook as I just bought it. Not sure of the other
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #58
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I read Refuge over the last weekend and enjoyed it. More than a fair price and fair deal, pay if you like the book, $1.80. I did and I did. Well worth the money.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #59
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
If it's post-apocalyptic you're after, can I puff my own latest novel, Refuge?

*ducks*
I've added your book to the Apocalypse/Post-Apocalypse list Richard: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/64
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #60
BruceB
BruceB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
How about...

"On The Beach" - Neville Shute
"The Last Ship" - William Brinkley
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote