Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #46
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I find most annoying is when the eBook has errors in it that the pBook does not. There is not excuse for that to happen with newly released books. What it means is that the process of going from the author's document to the finished product is botched bit time and really, if the people doing the botching cannot do the job correctly, they should be fired.
Two editing errors in that comment. (No offense...) However, since proofreaders are expendable human assets and no longer needed, you would be firing the computer that performed the conversion.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #47
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
... the Encyclopedia Brown books ...
Oh man, I'd totally forgotten about those! Ah, sweet memories. Off to Amazon now. That reminded of the Alvin Fernald series too, but I don't see those as ebooks unforunately.

Chers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #48
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Oh man, I'd totally forgotten about those! Ah, sweet memories. Off to Amazon now. That reminded of the Alvin Fernald series too, but I don't see those as ebooks unforunately.

Chers,
Simon.
The local library has part of the Encyclopedia Brown books, so been grabbing them via overdrive.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #49
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
I'm currently reading through Lolita and I've noticed a few typos. Nothing to drive me to complete distraction, but a slight annoyance nonetheless - especially when the Kindle edition cost almost the same as the print. (As I happen to have a tatty paperback of said title I was able to verify that such typos were indeed unique to the eBook.)

Nobody can be proofreading some of these books. They can't. Or, as JSWOLF has suggested, perhaps these 'proofreaders' (read: money-hungry CEOs) might better placed in a different job, or Room 101.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Nobody can be proofreading some of these books. They can't. Or, as JSWOLF has suggested, perhaps these 'proofreaders' (read: money-hungry CEOs) might better placed in a different job, or Room 101.
If there are proofreaders, they aren't doing well enough and should be fired.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #51
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Just a reminder that you can "return" the occasional Kindle book, if you get one that's truly awful in terms of formatting. Must be done over the phone, as the rep checks to be sure you're not abusing the option.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #52
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I just ran into one of the strangest typos in a while.

I am reading through the Books in A Song of Ice and Fire, and in the third book, there is a conversation about this one guy wants to attack someone who gave up on Stannis and bent the knee to King Joffery. It is then mentioned how the guy who bent the knee sustained big losses at this one battle that only women and children were left to defend and so if they were to attack, then what would they do, pillage and "rape the windows"?

It is an easy one to make, just that extra "n" just changes the whole comment.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #53
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Been away for a bit, and I expected to find this thread on page 42.

Anyway, the first thing that strikes me when perusing this thread is how much people seem to already have accepted poor quality as something inherent to ebooks, by saying "it's not THAT bad".
Maybe I'm alone in tsk-ing and shaking my head when I find ONE spelling mistake in a paper book. Here, I'm at 72% and I noted about 140 errors. Spaces in the middle of words, paragraph breaks missing (US version btw)...
Sure, the errors in DoD are not so horrible as to confuse the reader (well except when you get characters seemingly having a dialogue with themselves), but I can't even being to imagine this happening in a paper book without triggering massive outrage from the readers.

Once again, it's something I thought only lingered in the French publishing world: the idea that eBooks are "lesser" books, inherently poorer in quality and that they don't deserve the attention and care given to even the cheapest romance novel (on paper, of course). Which means that eBook readers also are "lesser" readers, that somehow don't deserve to get a good product for their money.

Frankly, I feel ripped off. And also very confused: if people are supposed to be voting-with-their-wallets, I assumed that Amazon, with their awesome sales numbers, was a provider of top-notch quality ebooks. And it turns out that they're not even aware that their own goddamn format doesn't do drop caps! So what's going on? Everyone is really just okay with that? Are we really gonna get a bunch of government officials and business analysts wonder without a hint of sarcasm why people are turning to piracy?

It's a mad world, I tell you! Mad!
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #54
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Just a reminder that you can "return" the occasional Kindle book, if you get one that's truly awful in terms of formatting. Must be done over the phone, as the rep checks to be sure you're not abusing the option.

That's why I am reasonably happy to buy the odd book from the Kindle Store. And also why I make most of my other online purchases with Amazon: they never quibble over a return. Heck, I've been lazy and took three weeks to return some items which I were unhappy with and sure enough, they refunded the full amount (albeit with a long wait - 15 working days).

From what I gather from various comments on MR, people have had trouble complaining and/or returning eBooks they have purchased directly from the publisher. (Usually they never get a reply.)

At least with Amazon they tend to reply to you within 24 hours.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #55
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
As usual we seem to want everything both ways... ebooks cost too much, they're badly edited/proofed/formatted, we want better product... improving quality of ebooks requires human intervention to proof well and get a decently formatted product, I know we'll just materialise a few thousand proof readers/editors... oh wait, they don't exist because their work has been devalued over the last few decades and their jobs ceased to exist and they didn't want to work for free...

Why isn't every book in the world converted to perfect eformat? Well let's see... try time, people capable of doing it, people not prepared to pay for the work to be done and everybody wanting something for nothing... tough world isn't it...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #56
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
As usual we seem to want everything both ways... ebooks cost too much, they're badly edited/proofed/formatted, we want better product... improving quality of ebooks requires human intervention to proof well and get a decently formatted product, I know we'll just materialise a few thousand proof readers/editors... oh wait, they don't exist because their work has been devalued over the last few decades and their jobs ceased to exist and they didn't want to work for free...

Why isn't every book in the world converted to perfect eformat? Well let's see... try time, people capable of doing it, people not prepared to pay for the work to be done and everybody wanting something for nothing... tough world isn't it...
No, what I want is a product where I judge the quality to be commensurate with the price. The price I pay for eBooks is much higher than that I used to pay for pBooks, yet, there are many more errors.

This is not wanting more for less, this is wanting the same for more.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #57
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
No, what I want is a product where I judge the quality to be commensurate with the price. The price I pay for eBooks is much higher than that I used to pay for pBooks, yet, there are many more errors.

This is not wanting more for less, this is wanting the same for more.
Then keep complaining to the publishers... but overall it's going to take time... you cannot materialise workers to do a job that has been progressively devalued and denigrated over decades... at the moment you have a choice, buy what you want "as is" and get an ebook or go with pbooks and don't complain about publishers not releasing ebooks fast enough... speed of release = poorer quality due to lack of decent proofreaders/editors. We can't have it all ways, it isn't physically possible, ask those on MR who are/have been proofreaders or have tried and/or got things professionally proofed/edited... it takes time...
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #58
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Then keep complaining to the publishers... but overall it's going to take time... you cannot materialise workers to do a job that has been progressively devalued and denigrated over decades... at the moment you have a choice, buy what you want "as is" and get an ebook or go with pbooks and don't complain about publishers not releasing ebooks fast enough... speed of release = poorer quality due to lack of decent proofreaders/editors. We can't have it all ways, it isn't physically possible, ask those on MR who are/have been proofreaders or have tried and/or got things professionally proofed/edited... it takes time...
I agree, the power is in the hands of the purchaser. Each individual needs to make a choice as to whether a certain item is worth the asking price. However, that's difficult to ascertain ahead of time when the vast majority of sellers insist "all sales are final".

I will note that after the first year of using eBooks, when the novelty had worn off, my purchasing habits dropped to almost nothing. At this point I purchase fewer than 8 books a year. I read more than ever, but my reading has moved to free offerings. I invest enough time into this past time that I'm unwilling to also invest dollars for a shit product.

I will also note that my previous reply was directly rebutting your characterization that all of us whiners are just don't understand how hard it is for the poor little publishers just trying to scrape a meager living out of this dreary existence. They need to put up or go out of business ASAP.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #59
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I think there is a factor being overlooked. In the U.S., a capitalist driven economy, profit is everything. Pbook publishers are seeing their tactile products being overtaken by eBook purchases which means there is less customer feedback through traditional booksellers (i.e. pBooks returned with complaints of errors) and lower prices expected from savings on paper, transportation, middle-man profits (B&M stores) and re-stocking returns. With lower prices comes less profit unless authors are screwed and/or publishing percentages are raised. The obvious short-term (and what capitalist is willing to deal with long term success these days) solution is to send them out 'as is' and hope the author knows how to run his/her spell-checker. Only when customer ire reaches into profits will proof-readers be re-employed. Right now, thousands of them are being laid off by major publishing houses and the results are painfully obvious.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #60
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
They need to put up or go out of business ASAP.
Couldn't agree more... scrap the lot and speed up the release of properly proofed ebooks...

Tags
formatting, typos