Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #151
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I had a similar problem to the last one. I figured out how to run the mobidedrm in Terminal on Mac OS but the first two books I have attempted to read have been corrupted with huge chunks missing. Is it my .py, my python or something else entirely? Considering how proud I was of figuring out how to do this in the first place I don't have much hope that I'll be able to figure out the problem.

Mel
Folks will want to know which version of the script and which version of Python.

I do my de-drming on the Windows install on my Mac so I don't know if it's possibly a Mac OS issue or not. I have Python 2.6 and mobidedrm v5 and they work great, but as I said haven't tried in Mac OS. I'm sure someone here has though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #152
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I've been working my way through this discussion and I'm having very similar problems trying to do the same thing. I get a message saying "invalid file format"
I have a Sony 505 and unwittingly purchased a set of classic books from mobipocket before realizing they wouldn't be compatible. I just want to be able to read them.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #153
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I've been working my way through this discussion and I'm having very similar problems trying to do the same thing. I get a message saying "invalid file format"
I have a Sony 505 and unwittingly purchased a set of classic books from mobipocket before realizing they wouldn't be compatible. I just want to be able to read them.
I wonder if you have a variant of mobiDeDRM which only recognizes the older .prc ebooks which may have the phrase 'text' instead of 'mobi' embedded in them. I believe there's a section in the newer versions of MobiDeDRM which allows for both versions of mobi ebooks. Might want to check.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 AM   #154
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
You will almost undoubtedly find those same classics here at MR, free to download, in much nicer versions than those sold in the bookstores. Have you taken a look at our book download forums?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #155
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I do my de-drming on the Windows install on my Mac so I don't know if it's possibly a Mac OS issue or not.
You know that Mac OS X comes with python pre-installed and Windows does not, do you?
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #156
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
You know that Mac OS X comes with python pre-installed and Windows does not, do you?
No, I guess I didn't but it makes little difference to me. I do almost all, 99%, of my ebook work in Windows since a lot of my tools (Book Designer, Mobi Creator, etc.) don't work in Mac OS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #157
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Wink Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I do almost all, 99%, of my ebook work in Windows
I see - it's opposite for me - Calibre is all I need now that I stopped using Mobipocket.

Martin

PS: Perl and Ruby are also pre-installed on Mac OS

Last edited by krischik; 09-12-2009 at 04:00 PM.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #158
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
I used version 0.05 with Python 2.5 under Mac OS X 10.5.5 using this Terminal line:
Code:
python /books/mobidedrm.py /books/DRMfilled.prc /convert/DRMfree.mobi 'MyPID'
Thank you Nick and everyone who posted here Now I finally understand how to run the script, and.......... I was just about to ask a stupid question but I figured out what I was doing wrong just before I hit post and made a fool of myself

IT WORKS

So now I'll start cleaning up all the drmed prc files I have, but I'm not sure I will buy any more. I may follow HarryT's advice (on another thread) and just start buying only non-drmed books. It looks like Amazon is slowly killing off the mobi format, so I'm reluctant to buy more PRCs, but I'm also not very keen to embark on another adventure with drmed epubs, it's just too much trouble to bother.

I may stick to non-infested books from now on, and buy the rest in p-book format, at least I can resell them when I'm through... but we'll see how long that resolve sticks

Anyway, thanks again to everyone here, you guys rock
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #159
discusaigon
Connoisseur
discusaigon doesn't litterdiscusaigon doesn't litterdiscusaigon doesn't litter

Device: HX4700 + BEBOOK + HP612c
thanks again pdurrant.

One more question :

Does removing the DRM also remove any information from the original file such as PID ?

in other word, does the new unDRM file still has some information that could make someone identifie you as the initial buyer ?
discusaigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #160
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by discusaigon View Post
Does removing the DRM also remove any information from the original file such as PID ?

in other word, does the new unDRM file still has some information that could make someone identifie you as the initial buyer ?
I don't think it has any individual purchaser information, but it does still include all the standard metadata that identifies it as an ebook that is only available with DRM. This includes which store you bought the ebook from.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #161
nklein
Enthusiast
nklein began at the beginning.

Device: ppc, soon a ipod touch
if anyone wants to help me now that would be great
I have a imac with parallels desktop on it so I can use which ever one u want to show me
I'm lost !!
nklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #162
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by nklein View Post
if anyone wants to help me now that would be great
I have a imac with parallels desktop on it so I can use which ever one u want to show me
I'm lost !!
Your quest for help was answered in the previous thread in which you asked for help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=361
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #163
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
A behemoth thread back from the grave.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote