Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Varella
Varella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Calibre: Double and single quotes in xml-tags.

I send fb2 files to Sony Reader by Calibre. Calibre changes in fb2 file the line of the form <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> on line <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>. So double quotes are replaced with single, and my Sony PRS T1 can't just open the file. If I edit the line by HTML-editor right on device, book opens - welcome to read.
Question: what do I wrong with Calibre?
Varella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Single quotes are perfectly legal in XML. http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-AttValue.

And the SONY doesn't support the fb2 format, so I'm assuming you rooted it and are using some fb2 reader software. I suggest either getting better software or converting your fb2 files to epub in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Varella

Thank you for answer!
But Sony PRS t1 yet officially supports FB2, I'v bought a new device with this feature.
Speaking about fb2 reader software: if I send the same fb2 file to Sony by Windows explorer, it works, Sony opens it without problem.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I know, the T1 does not support fb2, I dont know where you got a "new" model that supports fb2 but it is almost certainly not running the stock sony firmware.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Varella

Oh, you have puzzled me , becouse I can`t find information about FB2 on sony site. But I've found it on page #239 Instruction Manual: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4288614323.pdf

[mod: It turns out that link was an official Sony link from here. Link now restored.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-21-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
It is certainly correct that xml attributes can use either single or double quotes.

The Sony T1 manual, (page 239), says that FB2 files are supported.

Therefore: It looks as though Sony's FB2 support is not 100%.

Perhaps you could convert the book to ePub and try that instead.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Varella

I see, thank you. I was so glad that Sony supports FB2 now, no more conversion... Heh, will try ePub .
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varella View Post
Oh, you have puzzled me , becouse I can`t find information about FB2 on sony site. But I've found it on page #239 Instruction Manual: [Mod: link to copyright user manual not on Sony's site deleted]
Sony's own support pages don't say that the T1 supports FB2:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/reader.../04/02/02.html

The manual you linked to wasn't at the Sony site. Perhaps it was an early draft, and fb2 support got dropped.

The official PDF for the T1 doesn't mention fb2 either:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PRST1.pdf

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-21-2012 at 08:45 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Varella

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sony's own support pages don't say that the T1 supports FB2:
Dear friend, the world doesn`t end in England. I live in Russia and there is Sony office and site here: http://www.sony.ru/support/ru/product/PRS-T1
May be it is difficult to read, but you can trace the link: http://www.sony.ru/support/ru/product/PRS-T1/manuals, load the English manual and find on the page #239:

"Supported File Types
The following files can be transferred to the Reader device.
However, depending on the file size and format, it may not
be possible to view/display/play some data.
Books
 EPUB files (.epub)
 EPUB (OPS version 2.0) supported.
 PDF files (.pdf )
 Support is based on the PDF 1.6 specification.
 Text files (.txt)
 FB2 files (.fb2)"
Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Interesting. I downloaded the manual from:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-T1/manuals.

and clearly some FB2 documents are working.

However, if the T1 does not correctly support single-quoted attributes the OP is going to need to try something else.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I do apologise for the error. It was not obvious that crse.com was an Adobe site. I have restored the link.

And I agree that the manual is a current manual linked from a current Adobe web site.

It's most mysterious. But as some parts of Adobe do say that FB2 is supported, and it's not working, I suggest reporting it as a bug.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I changed the fb2 metadata update code to generate double quotes for the XML declaration. But I really doubt that will be the end of the issue, since if the reder chokes on single quotes it's going to choke on lots of other things as well. If I were you, I'd just convert to epub.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Varella

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I changed the fb2 metadata update code to generate double quotes for the XML declaration. But I really doubt that will be the end of the issue, since if the reder chokes on single quotes it's going to choke on lots of other things as well. If I were you, I'd just convert to epub.
Thank you! Should we download Calibre 9.3 again?
I gave the e-book to my mum, it was a present for her. I'll try new as soon as I get back the book and will write.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, you have to wait for 0.9.4
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Varella

I want to tell you, that from version 0.9.4 it works very good! Thank you!