Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #391
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Hyphenation in French?

First of all, thank you and big karma to ixtab!! I nearly shed tears of joy when I first saw my Kindle displaying correct justification and hyphenation.

I have managed to get hyphenation working perfectly in English and Dutch books. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get it working in French yet.

Has anyone managed to get French hyphenation working?

My books are in mobi6 format (not KF8), and I have double-checked to be sure the language is identified correctly (French - Standard).

In the JBPatch log file, I do see the following lines:

I: Loading Hyphenations for language ID 1036 (fr)
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.Character: method valueOf(C)Ljava/lang/Character; not found

Sorry, my Java skills are non-existent... If anyone has a clue how to get this working, I would be very appreciative!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #392
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
First of all, thank you and big karma to ixtab!! I nearly shed tears of joy when I first saw my Kindle displaying correct justification and hyphenation.

I have managed to get hyphenation working perfectly in English and Dutch books. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get it working in French yet.

Has anyone managed to get French hyphenation working?

My books are in mobi6 format (not KF8), and I have double-checked to be sure the language is identified correctly (French - Standard).

In the JBPatch log file, I do see the following lines:

I: Loading Hyphenations for language ID 1036 (fr)
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.Character: method valueOf(C)Ljava/lang/Character; not found

Sorry, my Java skills are non-existent... If anyone has a clue how to get this working, I would be very appreciative!
Argh... this is a bug in the patch, thanks for pointing it out. The problem is that the (hyphenation) source is backported from Java 5, and the Character.valueOf() method doesn't exist in Java 1.4.2 (but Eclipse wouldn't tell me so because I had it configured wrong ).

Anyway, this should be fixed with version 2012-08-02. Please re-download the patch and let me know if it fixes the problem.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #393
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Wow, you're fast, ixtab! Hyphenation now works in French too.

Can't tell you how happy you've made me!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #394
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Report: Portuguese is perfectly hyphenized now with the patch correction!

(I thought it not working was some of my fault, because in English it was ok...)
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #395
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There is a duplicated string "This value determines the left margin for PDF files." instead of [correct] "This value determines the right margin for PDF files." in localizable resources of JBPatch (ixtab-patch-margins).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #396
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

GAAAAAH! I'm trying to create a new translation but I don't understand how Transifex works...
EDIT: Nevermind...

Last edited by wolftail; 08-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #397
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
GAAAAAH! I'm trying to create a new translation but I don't understand how Transifex works...
Training Part 1:
Spoiler:
Training Part 2:
Spoiler:
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #398
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 2.1.2

This version fixes most of the issues that have piled up so far. There have been a few cosmetic changes and a few bugfixes, and I've fixed the localization issue that eureka mentioned, and added 3 additional words to be translated

This version includes the latest version of the hyphenation patch. Note that because of internal changes, the reverse is also true: the latest hyphenation patch requires version 2.1.2!

Download, as always, in the first post. Be sure to read the upgrade notes.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-02-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #399
ixtab
(offline)

So... this is possible after all... it's even included in the stock firmware, it's just completely disabled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coverview.gif
Views:	814
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	90075

(No, this is not ready for release yet. There are still quite a few things that need to be figured out...)
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #400
eureka

@ixtab, one patch after another, so you're unstoppable, eh? Maybe it's worth to take a second look at idea of representing /mnt/us sub-directories as collections in Home screen? It's possible to group cc.db entries located directly at /mnt/us under a "virtual" collection (the same type as Dictionaries or Images collection) and then just filter entries from cc.db by /mnt/us/<currently selected subpath>/ and display found entries.

Yes, I probably could do it by myself. But you've took my POC patch for cover view and evolve it to usable state. So, I hope...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #401
ixtab
(offline)

@eureka: It's basically already done, except for the mnt/us/documents/ only, and only for files which are actually recognized by the Kindle in the collections DB. Anything else has too much potential of seriously screwing things up.

See the Collections Manager thread...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #402
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@eureka: It's basically already done, except for the mnt/us/documents/ only, and only for files which are actually recognized by the Kindle in the collections DB. Anything else has too much potential of seriously screwing things up.

See the Collections Manager thread...
Collections Manager is a bit excessive for the sole purpose of browsing of directory structure and it also requires explicit synchronizing of directory structure into collections structure with updating of cc.db (isn't it?).

I'm talking about dynamic showing of "virtual" collections structure without any changing of cc.db. I.e. File browser collection which is implemented in Java like Dictionaries or Images collection.

(A small correction of myself. When I've talked about /mnt/us, I've meant /mnt/us/documents. Also listing of only files from cc.db is OK.)

Well, I understand that Collections Manager was the answer to similar request, but reviving of cover view patch was for me like "He's out of ideas, maybe I could incept another one"
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #403
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
@ixtab: All version numbers (log, ui, device) after the updrade still show 2.1.1. Did the update not work, or did you forget to change them?
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #404
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
@ixtab: All version numbers (log, ui, device) after the updrade still show 2.1.1. Did the update not work, or did you forget to change them?
Good catch!

The version number is present in 4 different places... and I updated all of them, except for the most important one

You can see that it actually is 2.1.2 by long-clicking on the entry in the home screen to show the details. Anyway, I attached the fixed file now. Thanks for the hint!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #405
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Installed the fixed version. Had to do that before going to sleep.
Thank you as always.
n.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks