Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
fyoung
fyoung began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Metadata download error

I am having an issue with downloading metadata.
I have copied the error message below. I get this with every search I do.
Any ideas?

calibre, version 0.8.9
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Starting download
Query: title:My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business: A Memoir; authorsick Van Dyke; isbn:9780307592262
Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Dick Van Dyke'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9780307592262'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business: A Memoir'}
Using plugins: Google, Amazon.com
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Amazon.com ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 21.3109998703
Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&search-alias=aps&field-isbn=9780307592262&unfiltered=1'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 523, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Google ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 126.244999886
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?q=isbn%3A9780307592262&max-results=20&min-viewability=none&start-index=1'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py ", line 296, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 126.30 seconds
The longest time (126.245000) was taken by: Google
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
fyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is an incredibly old version of Calibre.

You need a later version as Amazon changed their servers and Calibre updated to match.
8.27 is today's version
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
fyoung

I will update and try again - thanks for the reply
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
fyoung

i have version 8.26 and still not getting metadata downloads
current error message is:

calibre, version 0.8.26
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Starting download
Query: title:[Brotherhood 01] - Dark Lover; authors:JR Ward
{u'authors': [u'JR Ward'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'[Brotherhood 01] - Dark Lover'}
Using plugins: Google, Overdrive

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.153.1 Safari/525.19')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 2.66000008583
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?q=intitle%3ABrotherhood+intitle%3A01+intit le%3ADark+intitle%3ALover%2Binauthor%3AWard&max-results=20&min-viewability=none&start-index=1'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py ", line 299, in identify
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>

****************************** Overdrive ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Overdrive took 2.84399986267

The identify phase took 3.12 seconds
The longest time (2.844000) was taken by: Overdrive
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
fyoung

Metadata download error

I have been having issues downloading metadata lately does anyone know the fix?
I have version 8.28 and am getting the following error message

calibre, version 0.8.28

Starting download
Query: title:Nickel and Dimed; authors:Barbara Ehrenreich
{u'authors': [u'Barbara Ehrenreich'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Nickel and Dimed'}
Using plugins: Google, Overdrive

****************************** Overdrive ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Overdrive took 1.49399995804

Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 1.44899988174
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?q=intitle%3ANickel+intitle%3ADimed%2Binaut hor%3ABarbara+inauthor%3AEhrenreich&max-results=20&min-viewability=none&start-index=1'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py ", line 299, in identify
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>

The identify phase took 1.66 seconds
The longest time (1.494000) was taken by: Overdrive
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service
Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Moderator Notice
Moved to this thread - do not create new threads repeating the post just because no-one has an answer to your question
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm having the same problem. Has anybody found a workaround?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
When I start this query I got 14 results. May be the source you are looking have no entries for your request.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aufzeichnen.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	79587  
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That looks like generic internet connectivity errors. Probably a stale proxy setting. Check your proxy settings in Internet Explorer (calibre copies them from there).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I just installed the Windows version of calibre 0.830 and I still cannot download any metadata. There's no proxy enabled in IE and I can fetch news without any problems. I.e. firewalls and/or proxies cannot be causing this problem.

I'm still getting a Failed to make identify query: ... error message for each search plug-in even though I searched for a well-known bestseller.

All default plug-ins report the same errors (with different line numbers):

Code:
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py", line 601, in identify
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed>
Does calibe require specific Qt or Python versions to be installed? Or are there any other libraries/dependencies that might be causing this problem?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
fyoung

I have checked my proxy settings and am on "auto-detect proxy settings"
Still no luck with metadata downloads using Firefox.
On another computer using Internet Explorer 7 and Caliber Ver 8.29, metadata is downloading fine.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
fyoung

I just updated calibre to ver 8.3 and found that the download metadata now works
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyoung View Post
I just updated calibre to ver 8.3 and found that the download metadata now works
I hope you updated to 0.8.30 because 0.8.3 is 27 versions behind.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #14
karthikraman
karthikraman began at the beginning.

Device: None
Weird Metadata error

Hi, I have been using calibre for quite a while, but have a metadata download problem on Ubuntu and Win7. I am behind a proxy (no authentication required), but I get the following error, which I am not able to make sense of (calibre v0.8.30):

Code:
Starting job: Download metadata for 1 books 
{u'authors': [u'Gary William Flake'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9780262062008'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Untitled'} 
Using plugins: Amazon.com, ISBNDB 

****************************** ISBNDB ****************************** 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from ISBNDB took 26.3589999676 
Failed to make query to ISBNDb, aborting.
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 109, in identify
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\isbndb.py", line 212, in make_query
URLError:  

******************************************************************************** 

****************************** Amazon.com ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')] 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Amazon.com took 21.0620000362 
Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&search-alias=aps&field-isbn=9780262062008&unfiltered=1'
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py", line 602, in identify
URLError:  

******************************************************************************** 
The identify phase took 26.42 seconds 
The longest time (26.359000) was taken by: ISBNDB 
Failed to download metadata for Untitled 

****************************** Amazon.com Covers ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')] 
Failed to download valid cover 
Took 21.0160000324 seconds 
No cached cover found, running identify
Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&search-alias=aps&field-isbn=9780262062008&unfiltered=1'
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py", line 602, in identify
URLError: 

No cover found 

****************************** Open Library Covers ****************************** 
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')] 
Failed to download valid cover 
Took 21.3439998627 seconds 
Failed to download cover for ISBN: 9780262062008
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\openlibrary.py", line 28, in download_cover
URLError:  

Download complete, with 1 failures
Would me most grateful if someone can help me fix this.

Last edited by karthikraman; 12-13-2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: adding calibre version
karthikraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Check the proxy settings being used by calibre via Preferences->Miscellaneous
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote