Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
100 Free Back-to-School iBooks from Kaplan

Apple and Kaplan publishing are giving away 100 book titles as part of back-to-school/Learn Anytime, Anywhere promotion this week. You have to access the store and the list of free titles from inside the iBooks app, which runs on the ipad, ipod touch and newer iphones. I've included a few more details and the complete list of titles available on this blog post.

The promotion is only valid Aug 24-30, so be sure to grab any that look interesting (but note that the ones I've tried so far seem to be stuck in a pre-order status).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for this.

Wish I could access some of these! I have a macbook, but not any i-devices
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Thanks!

While I'm way past needing any of their test prep stuff there were a couple of interesting items in there. I debated getting the MCAT practice tests to see if I retained anything from when I took the MCAT back in <cough> '88. But while browsing the medical section I found some non-test-prep goodies, like The Evolution of Modern Medicine by William Osler, Collected Writings of Pasteur and Lister and The Real Life of an Internist by Mark Tyler-Lloyd.

BTW everything I "bought" download and was able to be opened instantly.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine are all still stuck. A few other freebies I've downloaded are there to read, but these won't download at all.

There are supposed to be 100 titles, but so far (unless I mis-counted), I've found 92. Some are of no interest to me (and to most, I'm sure), but there are some good ones in there that could be of interest to many who are not students. As for the practice tests - there are a number of these I've considered buying on my NDS, since playing those are considered to be good for both retaining the knowledge you already have and staving off decay of the brain as you age....

Off to email Apple to find out why my books won't download.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like my login was somehow "stuck". Had to disable wi-fi, reset the network settings, then rejoin wi-fi. Once I did, everything started downloading (which will now take a while, considering how many I thought might be interesting).
Old 08-26-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Can you read iBooks on iTunes, or only on an iPad/Pod/Phone?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Can you read iBooks on iTunes, or only on an iPad/Pod/Phone?
Only on iPad/Pod/Phone.

I'm rather surprised there isn't at least a Mac version of the iBooks reader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only on iPad/Pod/Phone.

Yes... maybe later? Though I was mostly asking out of idle curiosity. I have never been able to read on a computer, even a laptop.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only on iPad/Pod/Phone.

When I asked an apple employee why not, he said "why would anyone buy an ipad then?", as if the iBooks app were it's main reason for being and the only reason anyone bought it....
Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
When I asked an apple employee why not, he said "why would anyone buy an ipad then?", as if the iBooks app were it's main reason for being and the only reason anyone bought it....
Well, that's not very Genius. Using that logic, Apple shouldn't have offered iBooks for iPhone, either.

I actually just downgraded my iPhone 3G back to 3.1. Although I'll miss iBooks, I couldn't take the freezing and slowness anymore.

The most interesting thing is that Apple is starting to offer publisher freebies - although I can't strip their DRM, so probably not interested anyway.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #11
wormsprout
wormsprout began at the beginning.

Device: Many
Surprisingly, these free Kaplan titles are in a DRM-free EPUB format.

It's possible to yank the directories from Media\purchases using IphoneExplorer or winscp (with a jailbroken idevice, openssh installed). Once zipped, they can be read on more suitable devices.

While ibooks appears capable of DRM, it's pleasant to find that at least some titles are unburdened.
wormsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsprout View Post
Surprisingly, these free Kaplan titles are in a DRM-free EPUB format.

It's possible to yank the directories from Media\purchases using IphoneExplorer or winscp (with a jailbroken idevice, openssh installed). Once zipped, they can be read on more suitable devices.

While ibooks appears capable of DRM, it's pleasant to find that at least some titles are unburdened.
It's too bad you can't get to the buy an ibook without having an itoy to begin with. Those PMBRs are calling to me.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote