Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
@kacir
I agree about the boot-times. However, since the STAReBOOK does not need to be turned off to preserve power, I don't reboot it. It has been running without pause (apart from the restart fro the video) and no recharging has been done for 2 Days now with lots of playing around as well, and the battery is still almost full although I did not even "train" the battery yet, so it should not have full capacity yet.
If it can run for two weeks without being switched off, then the (cca) 30 second boot time is of absolutely no concern here.

When STAReBOOK solves problems with
- ugly monospaced fonts
- hideous linewrapping system
- creation of .stk files
it will be
THE perfect solution for many of us.

There are a lot of people that do not care about fancy features, or pdf documents and only want to read [plain text] books on their readers.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'll try to find out about the battery life. Right now that's difficult since I have played around with the device so much, but once it runs out of juice for the first time and has to be recharged I'll try to do a more realistic test with just reading involved.
I'm looking forward to seeing how well this device can perform.

The new and improved software should arrive in 30-45 days according to Staretek and I guess we'll all still be around to see whether they can keep that promise...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
I must say, if only StarEbook managed to render HTML straight away, it would start to look like a real option to me, even though I think the price is still a bit high.

So a big thank you to all early adopters here!

Roland, if you also post your films on Youtube, nobody needs obscure video players to watch them, only a webbrowser with Flash.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Seems to me the Baen reader folks might like to see this. They'll be using different reader software, but the hardware is (as far as we know) the same, so boot times, etc. will probably be similar.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #20
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Excellent video CommanderROR!

To my eye though the difference in screen speed can be written off to iRex still doing the silly 1 second sleep in their screen update daemon. If you take that 1 second sleep out I believe the units will have nearly identical update speeds.

Maybe this video will embarrass them into taking the sleep out.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #21
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Seems to me the Baen reader folks might like to see this. They'll be using different reader software, but the hardware is (as far as we know) the same, so boot times, etc. will probably be similar.
Hopefully Baen can get them to move the 5 way navigator to the left a bit.

But probably not though, the molds/circuit board lay outs are expensive to re-do, oh well!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #22
macanima
macanima began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 (equiv. of eBookwise 1150)
Man, that is *nice.*

What're you doing with the STAReBOOK again after you're done with it?

(Kidding, of course.)
macanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I can tell you what I'm doing...I'm using it to read books.

I really hope this device will let me retire my Iliad. If the formatting problems can be solved, then I'm pretty sure it can.
I'll keep my Iliad as a backup device, and I'll probabyl use it fr travelling since I don't have a proper protection option for the STAReBOOK yet, but apart from that I fully plan to make this my primary reading device, despite the smaller screen. It's all about easy of use...

@Scotty1024

I agree, that's where the difference comes from. You can see, that the Iliad reacts to the keypress with a slight delay while the STAReBOOK turns the page immediately.

I'll see about uploading to youtube.com
Old 01-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #24
lexico
Lexicographer
lexico began at the beginning.

Device: IBM X 41 T, Samsung D500, Nokia N 800
Could you use something other than 'rar' format? That seems to be a private format with no free decompressor (unless you agree to be zapped by adverts).

[Why compress it anyway? It won't gain any useful compression -- it just adds an extra step...]

Thanks!
lexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

@ lexico: The video can be seen by the two freeware programs linked to near the begining of the thread. One was linked by yunhid and the other by Bob Russell.

@ yunhid and Bob Russell: thanks for the help.

Last edited by Almagne; 01-24-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RE: Thanks Yunhaid

I was able to watch your .wmv file. The more I see of the StarEBook, the more I like what I see.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #27
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I had assumes that everybody uses VLC player and winrar these days...but apparently I was mistaken...:-)

I'll add the file again as .zip, I can't add it as .avi file since the forum does not allow that.

Youtube is now working again and I uploaded it there as well.

Go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJfDek9FGjo
Attached Files
File Type: zip STAR_vs_Iliad.zip (1.07 MB, 702 views)
Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #28
lexico
Lexicographer
lexico began at the beginning.

Device: IBM X 41 T, Samsung D500, Nokia N 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almagne
@ lexico: The video can be seen by the two freeware programs linked to near the begining of the thread. One was linked by yunhid and the other by Bob Russell.
Sorry -- but the only reason for wrapping anything up in a RAR file is to sell more adverts. It adds another step -- and more bytes -- to the file being distributed. Hardly in the spirit of MobileRead!

lex
lexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@lexico

I don't knwo what you are talking about.
I use WinRAR and it does not throw ads at you, it's shareware but can be used without registering forever (it just reminds you to register after a while, but that does not really worry me).
The reason for wrapping the file in a RAr archive was that mobileread.com does not allow posting of .avi attachments.

Now the file is on youtube and you can wathc it there if you like.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #30
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I really hope this device will let me retire my Iliad. If the formatting problems can be solved, then I'm pretty sure it can.
If they need help there are several of us around here that know how to layout text. Some of us even know how to create a PDF viewer for a Mono 2 screen.